British Speedway Forum

Three Stadium Sports Analysis

These are the 33 tracks promoting ‘stock car’ racing:

BELLE VUE; KING’S LYNN; IPSWICH; SCUNTHORPE; SHEFFIELD; BIRMINGHAM;

BUXTON; EASTBOURNE; ARENA ESSEX; MILDENHALL; STOKE:

COWDENBEATH; DOVER; SKEGNESS: RINGWOOD: SMEATHARPE: UNITED DOWNS RACEWAY: ALDERSHOT; HEDNESFORD: NORTHAMPTON: YARMOUTH; STANDLAKE: WALTON: TAUNTON: ST DAY: SWAFFHAM: BARFORD: BRAMPTON: ANGMERING: CRIMOND: BRISTOL: TRENT; LOCHGELLY RACEWAY.

:::: NOTE - VENUES IN RED UNDERLINED ALSO STAGE SPEEDWAY.

These are the 27 tracks promoting speedway:

BELLE VUE; KING’S LYNN; LEICESTER ; POOLE; RYE HOUSE; SOMERSET; SWINDON; WOLVERHAMPTON; BERWICK; EDINBURGH; GLASGOW; IPSWICH; NEWCASTLE; PETERBOROUGH; REDCAR; SCUNTHORPE; SHEFFIELD; WORKINGTON; BIRMINGHAM; BUXTON; EASTBOURNE; ISLE OF WIGHT; KENT; LAKESIDE; MILDENHALL; PLYMOUTH; STOKE.

GREYHOUND RACING

There are 23 NGRC tracks

http://www.bettingsi...ing/dog-tracks/

The seven "flapping" tracks.

Askern Greyhound Stadium, Doncaster

In the main GREYHOUNDS Link http://www.bettingsi...ing/dog-tracks/ I found these stadiums as also staging speedway;

CENTRAL PARK (Kent Kings); MILDENHALL; MONMORE GREEN (Wolverhampton); OWLERTON (Sheffield); PERRY BARR (Birmingham); SWINDON.

Of these, OWLERTON (Sheffield) and MILDENHALL also stage 'stock car' racing.

Additionally YARMOUTH which is listed for greyhounds also stages 'stock car' racing.

I make this the

MOST TRACKS LEAGUE TABLE

STOCK CAR RACING 33 tracks

GREYHOUND RACING 30 tracks

SPEEDWAY RACING 27 tracks

​::: I would like to pay appreciation to BSF member salty for the details given in this item in regard to greyhound racing.

Edited by Guest

Guest compost

These are the 33 tracks promoting ‘stock car’ racing:

BELLE VUE; KING’S LYNN; IPSWICH; SCUNTHORPE; SHEFFIELD; BIRMINGHAM;

BUXTON; EASTBOURNE; ARENA ESSEX; MILDENHALL; STOKE:

COWDENBEATH; DOVER; SKEGNESS: RINGWOOD: SMEATHARPE: UNITED DOWNS RACEWAY: ALDERSHOT; HEDNESFORD: NORTHAMPTON: YARMOUTH; STANDLAKE: WALTON: TAUNTON: ST DAY: SWAFFHAM: BARFORD: BRAMPTON: ANGMERING: CRIMOND: BRISTOL: TRENT; LOCHGELLY RACEWAY.

:::: NOTE - VENUES IN RED UNDERLINED ALSO STAGE SPEEDWAY.

Not sure what you are getting at here.

However, you Stock Car list is incorrect as Smeatharpe is near Taunton and is the Taunton venue for the sport (so double counted).

If you are looking at possible venues for Speedway then Standlake (from memory) wouldn't be suitable, neither would Smeatharpe and I suggested on here that Aldershot would be worth a look at a couple of years back and, as expected, nothing happened (to my limited knowledge)

Incidentially, 3 years ago there was a long standing Stocks track near Waterloo Hampshire (haven't been near since so don't know if it still exists and I doubt it would be suitable for Speedway).

Not sure what you are getting at here.

However, you Stock Car list is incorrect as Smeatharpe is near Taunton and is the Taunton venue for the sport (so double counted).

If you are looking at possible venues for Speedway then Standlake (from memory) wouldn't be suitable, neither would Smeatharpe and I suggested on here that Aldershot would be worth a look at a couple of years back and, as expected, nothing happened (to my limited knowledge)

Incidentially, 3 years ago there was a long standing Stocks track near Waterloo Hampshire (haven't been near since so don't know if it still exists and I doubt it would be suitable for Speedway).

Thank you for the information compost. I just produced the information to show how many tracks for each group there was in the UK. I obtained the information for Taunton and Smeatarpe from the promoting group Autospeed. They not clarify the situation re Smeatharpe and also mentioned Taunton. I therefore assumed they were two different venues. Apart from the deletion of one track, the overall total still puts stock car racing as operating at the most venues.

​My lists are not designed to find possible venues for speedway or stock car racing, just what I hoped would be a useful tabulation in regard to how many stadiums operate the three formats of which I presume they were originally built/designed/modified.

Wit regard to Aldershot - I have never been to this new venue (following the closure some years ago of Tongham Stadium). My understanding is that it is not suitable for speedway - I amsure if it was the owners Spedeworth Motorsport would be interested and as co-oparative there as they are towards allowing speedway at Ipswich and Mildenhall. And could Yarmouth - another track/stadium in the Spedeworth Motorsport group ever be brought back for speedway use?

And, finally, we delete one track from the number of operative stock car venues but that sports classification still stays "top of the table."

​With the correction of Smetharpe/Taunton duplication, this is how I see the amended 'league' table:

MOST TRACKS LEAGUE TABLE

STOCK CAR RACING 32 tracks

Edited by Guest

You can add Grimley to the list of stock car tracks. It was nearly lost last winter due to planning problems but they started racing again once the problem was solved.

Guest compost

United Downs Raceway and St Day are the same venue (they and Smaetharpe/Taunton come under the Autospeed umbrella).

The venue I mentioned near Waterlooville (not Waterloo, doh!) has an address of Horndean. Their website says 'currently looking for a new location' so I guess they've closed.

Thank you Chris116 for the addition of Grimley to the active stock car tracks. And to compost in regard to United Downs Raceway and St Day being the same venue. If my mathematics are correct (!!!!) that shows one less active stock car tracks.It now makes the LEAGUE TABLE look like this:

MOST TRACKS LEAGUE TABLE

STOCK CAR RACING 31 tracks

Click your own link, Easington dogs closed.

You are correct. According to Wikipedia Easington closed recently - in 2017. That's one track less for greyhounds and amends the league table chart to now read:

MOST TRACKS LEAGUE TABLE

STOCK CAR RACING 31 tracks

GREYHOUND RACING 29 tracks

Visit Wikipedia re Easington greyhound stadium:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easington_Greyhound_Stadium

Edited by Guest