British Speedway Forum
magnus

Speedway 2018

Reflecting on how both the Premiership and Championship leagues seem to be running in 2017, with predominantly a lack of Premiership (elite) league riders, combined with fixture back logs for many clubs and a high number of riders doubling up making it more difficult to arrange fixtures and leading to a greater need of guest riders or R/R. But more worryingly supporters dwindling to the point where clubs are at risk of folding. Then surely the BSPA need to take a long hard look at how the sport can survive.

My thoughts are:

• Switching to a fixed night could possibly work. (Proven in Sweden, Poland, and Denmark).
  • Create only one league.
  • Have a North-South divide for the first part of the season, then the top 4 from each divide compete in a play off, for the league title. The lower teams could then compete for something similar to what used to be called, the Young Shield.
  • This could potentially keep supporters attending meetings in the later part of the season, particularly if their team are not performing so well. This would be due to the influx of new teams/riders and would be similar to starting the season again.

Remember these are just my thoughts and yes no doubt the punctuation police will be out in force, but seriously something needs to be done if we want to continue watching the sport we love. Would be interesting to hear other supporters views and you never know the powers that be, may read these and take on board the supporters views and implement them for the 2018 season.

can you tell me who will be in the southern league ?

there will only be 8 teams in the championship in 2018 . top 4 from each !

not enough rider for one big league .

wont work , cant work even one big league ..

forget it .

Create two leagues.. midweek league (obviously for tracks that ride midweek) and a weekend league for tracks that commit to weekend racing. That would eliminate the need for guests other than to cover for injuries.

• Like 1

I think one big league is a non-starter as I don`t believe there would be enough riders to go round, also I think the difference in standard between the top riders down to reserve riders would be to great, I know we had protected races where there would be two reserve races but even so I don`t see one league working. IMO doubling up isn't the problem, only when the riders two clubs are racing on the same night does it become a problem, if Premiership went to two night racing, Monday & Wednesday say that would largely eradicate the problem of Premiership and championship meetings clashing, which would reduce significantly guests which is the real problem IMO.

• Like 3

can you tell me who will be in the southern league ?

there will only be 8 teams in the championship in 2018 . top 4 from each !

not enough rider for one big league .

wont work , cant work even one big league ..

forget it .

My thoughts are there is 18 teams in both the Premiership and Championship.

Southern: Somerset, Swindon, Ipswich, Kings Lynn, Wolves, Peterborough, Poole, Leicester, and Rye House would compete in the Southern half.

Northern: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Berwick, Newcastle, Workington, Redcar, Scunthorpe, Belle Vue, and Sheffield would compete in the Northern half.

Number of riders could be an issue, but if the average for team building was raised slightly this could possibly accommodate more riders (possibly not as well). Yes costs also would increase with this, but that would have to be a calculated business decision which hopefully would prove a success.

Please remember something has to be done quick, as speedway supporters at the moment are rapidly dwindling and so will the sport if a remedy cannot be found soon.

My thoughts are there is 18 teams in both the Premiership and Championship.

Southern: Somerset, Swindon, Ipswich, Kings Lynn, Wolves, Peterborough, Poole, Leicester, and Rye House would compete in the Southern half.

Northern: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Berwick, Newcastle, Workington, Redcar, Scunthorpe, Belle Vue, and Sheffield would compete in the Northern half.

Number of riders could be an issue, but if the average for team building was raised slightly this could possibly accommodate more riders (possibly not as well). Yes costs also would increase with this, but that would have to be a calculated business decision which hopefully would prove a success.

Please remember something has to be done quick, as speedway supporters at the moment are rapidly dwindling and so will the sport if a remedy cannot be found soon.

I'm with that, rather than an increase.

North and South conferences makes sense , with play-offs between the two at the end . With two conferences you haven't got the " we finished top of the league , so should be champions " argument . We can still have doubling up if necessary , but from one conference to the other , same with guests .

Then hopefully it would be thought out properly when clashes are a possibility in the play offs .

• Like 1

Five man teams similar to Denmark

10 Teams - 50 riders needed..

Salary cap in place.....

Rough Rider Levels as many riders could be in several categories such is the number of DU's....

No1. Current No1 Rider in Premiership/No2 Heat Leader Level in Premiership (£1500 a night)

No2. Current 3rd Heat Leader Level in Premiership/No 1 rider in Championship (£1250 a night)

No3. Current 2nd/3rd Heat Leader Level in Championship/2nd String Level in Premiership. (£1000 a night)

No4. Current Second String at Championship Level/Reserve in Premiership. (£750 a night)

No5. Current National League Heat Leader Level. (£500 a night)

Total £5000 a night..

Each team will need to find £10000 to pay for home and away match.

Two fixed nights per week, one home, one away (make it same teams, same week to add a bit of interest)

800 adult fans paying £15 needed to pay riders and VAT man per meeting..

Top man gets £3000 a week..

Home and Away twice equals 36 matches, then....

Split into top five and bottom five, (points scored thus far carry into it similar to Super Eights in Rugby League), that will deliver a further 8 home and away once matches per team..

Top four from both Groups then go into respective Semis...

Winners race off in Grand Finals...

The "Ivan Mauger Trophy" for the Winners of the Top Group and the "Peter Collins Shield" for the Bottom Five Play Off winners. (Many non Speedway fans will still recognise those two names)..

Finalists will run 48 matches in Total..

Meaning 24 weeks of continuous home meetings....

Throw in a Cup Comp of Eight Teams (top Eight from previous season) and the Finalists will run a further six matches meaning a 54 match Season...

Just 800 fans to make it pay (not including Sponsorship) Surely achievable and with only five riders per team this should give plenty of replacements for injury and loss of form ...

(Who knows it may mean an end to G****s)..😉

Championship made up of six riders per team, ten teams, riding different nights from the Top League, four Brits per team minimum, two reserves must be NL (non heat leader level) U21 years of age or less than three years experience. .

Anyone from Top Division except No1 rider can DU...

Salary Cap and resultant admission based on Premiership Cap as one more rider per team could be 40% less which would be £3000 per match meaning 600 punters at £12 to pay riders for both home and away matches and VAT...

Those numbers must be doable. .?

Edited by mikebv

There are plenty of riders start and make a list , I will do one later as I am busy

What about the rent? Lots of clubs pay rent. So add a few more hundred punters on to pay that.

Shale tractors insurance medical cover etc too

What about the rent? Lots of clubs pay rent. So add a few more hundred punters on to pay that.

800 and 600 punters must be doable as an absolute minimum at £15 and £12..?

1000 and 800 must be the real minimum target of teams, (pathetic numbers I know but sadly where the Sport is)...

This should cover most of the rent allied to £500 or so of Sponsorship per meeting? ...

Edited by mikebv

And to get £15 thats £18 admission

Add airfence repairs/replacement, BSPA monthly admin charges, some flights,etc, it all mounts up.