British Speedway Forum
magnus

Speedway 2018

Doubling up, is one of the major problems, needs to be got rid of. could you imagine a Glasgow Rangers player doubling up with Celtic, i's a bl**dy nonsense. Nick Morris riding for Berwick and doubling up with Swindon, the two teams meet each other in the play offs, who does he ride for

Put a number on that,25% of what figure. 4 fans attend 25% increase there are now 5 attending

I don`t see doubling up being as much of an issue if the top leagues goes to fixed night racing, if the status quo remains then doubling up will still be the problem next year as its been this. For example if Nick Morris re-signs for both Swindon and Berwick, and the top leagues goes to Monday and Wednesday`s, then there should be only very minimal fixture clashes which will hopefully eradicate the need for as many guests.

Most riders would probably bite your hand off to get those pay rates.

But surely affordable for most teams?

Five man teams in the top division dividing up £10k a week for two home and away meetings between them...

Six man teams in the second, with it basically being 'four and two juniors' dividing up £6k between them..

Run with fixed nights for both ten team Leagues, two home, two away per team, and a heat leader DU could earn a good few grand a week and race a minimum 72 matches, even in a team with no Cup or Play Off matches...

One thing is for sure...

Charging circa £17 - £20 entrance fee will NEVER work if you want to bring a crowd in regularly..

Speedway is a tiny, tiny minority Sport which needs to start to build a fan base again either by bringing back those who no longer go or attracting new fans...

A maximum £15 price point I would say is the most it can ever reasonably request given its 'status'..

Paying out to less riders per meeting will help it to deliver that and deliver a surplus of talent to replace riders through the Season..

Riding circa 72 times on 'good' pay rates would encourage plenty of riders to take part too I would suggest. .

Edited by mikebv

So what's going to get new fans through the gates? You can change what you want, but until new people go through the gate, it's still going to die.

• Like 2

One thing is for sure...

Charging circa £17 - £20 entrance fee will NEVER work if you want to bring a crowd in regularly..

Speedway is a tiny, tiny minority Sport which needs to start to build a fan base again either by bringing back those who no longer go or attracting new fans...

A maximum £15 price point I would say is the most it can ever reasonably request given its 'status'..

I disagree. A round costs more than that these days. Speedway has been in the teens per match for donkey's years.

People spend a fortune on trainers and all sorts of crap without a care. You're under-selling the sport. I want a better product and I will gladly pay twice or three times the current pitiful "in the teens" tiny amount. I don't want to be charged a pittance to watch some stripped down bare product.

Lets face it, this is 2017 and a fiver's lucky if its worth a quid these days. I saw a guy the other day casually put a twenty quid note in a charity box.

And I don't want split regional mini-leagues either as has been suggested. I want more teams, more variety, not less variety.

I disagree. A round costs more than that these days. Speedway has been in the teens per match for donkey's years.

People spend a fortune on trainers and all sorts of crap without a care. You're under-selling the sport. I want a better product and I will gladly pay twice or three times the current pitiful "in the teens" tiny amount. I don't want to be charged a pittance to watch some stripped down bare product.

Lets face it, this is 2017 and a fiver's lucky if its worth a quid these days. I saw a guy the other day casually put a twenty quid note in a charity box.

And I don't want split regional mini-leagues either as has been suggested. I want more teams, more variety, not less variety.

Then why are the largest crowds for most tracks the £10 BT nights..?

If Woffy and Dudek had been there and the tracks charged £25 the crowd would have been almost non existent...

• Like 2

Then why are the largest crowds for most tracks the £10 BT nights..?

If Woffy and Dudek had been there and the tracks charged £25 the crowd would have been almost non existent...

I disagree. People will pay for a decent product and these days twenty quid is a pittance.

Anyway, if you read what I've said I'm talking about what I want.

Edited by justere2cgoodspeedway

Absolutely not, doubling up was a stupid idea that has caused many of the problems, it simply has not worked to benefit speedway. It is of little use to stick ones heads under the blankets, and simply hope it will sort itself out, it will not. Sort out the problem or suffer the consequences. There is little difference between Premiership and Championship nowadays, so one big restructured league, and retain a development league to feed the new league

There are (by my reckoning) currently 33 riders doubling up/down between Championship & Premiership. I'd just love to know just where you can find enough riders to fill the vacancies that will be caused, even before any injuries etc. And don't say the National League. I very much doubt there are actually 33 riders in the national league that aren't already riding for somebody else. A lot of the current crop of 2.00 Championship riders have struggled to make in impact.

Reduce the numbers maybe. Introduce Polish type squads for the championship. Better. Fans can relate to different team lineups if the riders are part of a squad. And it would reduce the number of guests which is really the crux of the problem with double uppers/downers missing meetings.

I disagree. People will pay for a decent product and these days twenty quid is a pittance.

Anyway, if you read what I've said I'm talking about what I want.

20 quid might be a pittance to you(are you loaded or well paid job?),but for a lot of people, especially families, then 20 quid or more would probably finish the sport for good, and don't forget its the youngsters who need to be targeted as they are the future.

one thing that would help to entice more families would be a good club mascot.i went to the ice hockey at sheffield last week and their mascot steeler dan really does get involved with the kids, dancing etc with them and its a great atmosphere and while i,m not a massive fan of all the razzmatazz the kids and mums and dads really enjoy it and get into the spirit of things.maybe if the mascot mingles with the crowd and dishes out a few sweets etc then it may help the attendances a little.we haven't even got one at owlerton.o.k we've tried face painting etc but something needs to be done to make this sport more attractive to newbies.

• Like 1

20 quid might be a pittance to you(are you loaded or well paid job?),but for a lot of people, especially families, then 20 quid or more would probably finish the sport for good, and don't forget its the youngsters who need to be targeted as they are the future.

one thing that would help to entice more families would be a good club mascot.i went to the ice hockey at sheffield last week and their mascot steeler dan really does get involved with the kids, dancing etc with them and its a great atmosphere and while i,m not a massive fan of all the razzmatazz the kids and mums and dads really enjoy it and get into the spirit of things.maybe if the mascot mingles with the crowd and dishes out a few sweets etc then it may help the attendances a little.we haven't even got one at owlerton.o.k we've tried face painting etc but something needs to be done to make this sport more attractive to newbies.

Braehead is the same . While it's hard to take on board ice hockey ideas in relation to speedway , they do a lot right while speedway struggles to grasp the concept of entertaining the public .

There are plenty of riders start and make a list , I will do one later as I am busy

By no means a full listing just a few I came up with

Wethers. Pijper. Garcia. Bridger. Sundstrom. Elkhof. Wallner. Covatti. Michelson. Korneilison. J.davidsson,

D.Davidsson, Buzkowski, Holder, Batchelor, Aspgren, Wilkinson, Madsen, Hume, Lebedevs, Palovaara, Hansen, Vissing, lykke ,

Karger, Bach , Thomsen, Grondal, Smolinski, Zengota, Skornicki, Dilger, Bukhave, Berge.

That's. 33 without the bigger names who may return on set nights..

Promoters need to learn lessons from other tracks and other sports, maybe money is an issue but some things could be changed for the better with little or no outlay.

• Like 1

One league but split North and South to start with six man teams - half or maybe two riders must be British.

Two heat-leaders

Two second strings

Two reserves

Team building up to 36 points or so.

Scrap rolling average nonsense etc...