British Speedway Forum
magnus

Speedway 2018

After 39 years watching speedway i've packed it in now.....it's terminal on an out of control spiral; doubt if i'll be back tbh

Seems to be a growing trend but you cant blame any fan walking away as this season has been shambolic.

• Like 1

But surely affordable for most teams?

Five man teams in the top division dividing up £10k a week for two home and away meetings between them...

Six man teams in the second, with it basically being 'four and two juniors' dividing up £6k between them..

Run with fixed nights for both ten team Leagues, two home, two away per team, and a heat leader DU could earn a good few grand a week and race a minimum 72 matches, even in a team with no Cup or Play Off matches...

One thing is for sure...

Charging circa £17 - £20 entrance fee will NEVER work if you want to bring a crowd in regularly..

Speedway is a tiny, tiny minority Sport which needs to start to build a fan base again either by bringing back those who no longer go or attracting new fans...

A maximum £15 price point I would say is the most it can ever reasonably request given its 'status'..

Paying out to less riders per meeting will help it to deliver that and deliver a surplus of talent to replace riders through the Season..

Riding circa 72 times on 'good' pay rates would encourage plenty of riders to take part too I would suggest. .

Five man teams in the top division dividing up £10k a week for two home and away meetings between them...

Six man teams in the second, with it basically being 'four and two juniors' dividing up £6k between them..

Run with fixed nights for both ten team Leagues, two home, two away per team, and a heat leader DU could earn a good few grand a week and race a minimum 72 matches, even in a team with no Cup or Play Off matches...

One thing is for sure...

Charging circa £17 - £20 entrance fee will NEVER work if you want to bring a crowd in regularly..

Speedway is a tiny, tiny minority Sport which needs to start to build a fan base again either by bringing back those who no longer go or attracting new fans...

A maximum £15 price point I would say is the most it can ever reasonably request given its 'status'..

Paying out to less riders per meeting will help it to deliver that and deliver a surplus of talent to replace riders through the Season..

Riding circa 72 times on 'good' pay rates would encourage plenty of riders to take part too I would suggest. .

One thing is for sure...

How many times does it have to be said: You can't have fixed nights as most tracks are just tenants. At least half of the eighteen tracks would go to the wall

• Like 1

The first thing that needs to happen for 2018 is all the promoters to work together as a united front, without petty bickering and one-upmanship that seems to be the issue so often.

The next thing will be for those promoters to think of ways to keep the current fan base, don't worry about new people yet, retain what you have because that is getting smaller and smaller, and history shows the current fans are the ones more likely to introduce new people to the sport.

Years ago 'in my day' things were fun, a lot of the riders were great characters to have around - and supporters went to see these riders, especially if there was a grudge somewhere.

We can't accommodate the big names any more, there isn't the money or fanbase anywhere to have them, but what we do have is generally a good bunch of riders riding here, riders that are bloody exciting on the racetrack, and will produce great racing.

Maybe we need to take a step back with the professional side of things, do riders NEED 2 bikes at every meeting? How often do you see a rider's bike fail and the one that comes out the pits for him is a team mates! Never seems to be their spare anyway!

Ivan Mauger could go everywhere with a bike stuffed in his Citroen, why can't riders do similar now?

• Like 1

Most likely it's going to be a premiership with 10 teams.

With fixed race nights Monday and Thursday

And the championship will revolve around it.

Premiership is most likely going to have a points limit of 45.

If there is going to be one big league which I doubt.

There is going to be a super league which Swindon Poole and Wolves have spoken about and BV which will be 6 matches each with teams which are basically 7gp level riders in the teams.

20 quid might be a pittance to you(are you loaded or well paid job?),but for a lot of people, especially families, then 20 quid or more would probably finish the sport for good, and don't forget its the youngsters who need to be targeted as they are the future.

Your point about kids is a misnomer as at most tracks kids either pay half price or nothing at all depending on age.

No I am not in a well paid job, I am on almost exactly the average UK wage.

But I am a realist. And the realistic fact is that speedway has been in the teens of pounds per match for donkey's years. Twenty quid is worth a fiver these. I saw a guy casually put a twenty quid note in a charity box the other day - and I know he isn't wealthy either, just an ordinary guy. You're kidding yourself on - big time - if you think twenty quid is a King's ransom when the fact is that these days it isn't, A round costs more than that these days. And folk think nothing of it.

The cost per track does vary but only by a couple of quid around the average, Christ you pay more than a couple of quid for just a pint of beer, these days usually about a fiver some folk on here moan at length about paying a quid of difference. Get real ffs.

If the product is decent then people will pay good money. Let's see, find a high profile venue, maybe a national stadium, charge fifty quid and more and give it loads of razamataz. Maybe only a couple of hundred will turn up. That'll never catch on. Hold on its been done already. Yeah nobody turns up at Cardiff. Yeah right!!

The sport needs to get out of this shoestring mentality and follow the example of how the gp's were invigorated. Money is there among the paying public, they WILL spend if the product is there that's a fact. Folk do regularly spend a small fortune on a night out and they think nothing of it. And its usually by those that have average wages.

After 39 years watching speedway i've packed it in now.....it's terminal on an out of control spiral; doubt if i'll be back tbh

Sorry to hear that mate , but I understand how you feel . This has been the most self destructive season I can ever remember .

• Like 2

I don't see much chance of Chapman listening to the complaints from the fans.

For me:

1) Reduce the number of BSPA fixtures. Pairs, fours and individual in addition to League and cup is too many.

2) For a rearange on the same night as the original meeting, visiting club are not allowed to refuse unless they have a fixture on that night. Some kind of ruling on neutral nights to make them happen.

3) Except in exceptional circumstances (I know!!!!) a meeting should be rescheduled within one month of the original. Say 5 meeting points deduction to the home side if they breach (the 5 points is just an idea, could be any type of penalty)

4) Promotional comittee for each league that looks at club successes and helps all clubs to implement. Only concerned with increasing customer draw.

5) League forum one rep from each club, one overall representative attends the BSPA meeting after season end.

Your point about kids is a misnomer as at most tracks kids either pay half price or nothing at all depending on age.

No I am not in a well paid job, I am on almost exactly the average UK wage.

But I am a realist. And the realistic fact is that speedway has been in the teens of pounds per match for donkey's years. Twenty quid is worth a fiver these. I saw a guy casually put a twenty quid note in a charity box the other day - and I know he isn't wealthy either, just an ordinary guy. You're kidding yourself on - big time - if you think twenty quid is a King's ransom when the fact is that these days it isn't, A round costs more than that these days. And folk think nothing of it.

The cost per track does vary but only by a couple of quid around the average, Christ you pay more than a couple of quid for just a pint of beer, these days usually about a fiver some folk on here moan at length about paying a quid of difference. Get real ffs.

If the product is decent then people will pay good money. Let's see, find a high profile venue, maybe a national stadium, charge fifty quid and more and give it loads of razamataz. Maybe only a couple of hundred will turn up. That'll never catch on. Hold on its been done already. Yeah nobody turns up at Cardiff. Yeah right!!

The sport needs to get out of this shoestring mentality and follow the example of how the gp's were invigorated. Money is there among the paying public, they WILL spend if the product is there that's a fact. Folk do regularly spend a small fortune on a night out and they think nothing of it. And its usually by those that have average wages.

then explain this one to me.why is the ice hockey only 16 quid for an adult to watch then and attracts a heck of a lot more than the speedway does.if 2 adults and 2 kids go to speedway thats roughly 40 quid ish PER WEEK.which is a fair chunk out of anyones budget so yes lets charge 20 quid per adult and a tenner per kid and make it 60 quid instead.get real.cort of living has risen tremendously but a lot of folks wages haven't.i used to go out for a few but draw the line at pub prices and now buy from the supermarket if i want a beer and i certainly couldn't afford the beer and speedway.cardiff is also a one off event, not a whole season.plus define average wage to me.

After reading the statement by Chapman in last weeks star regarding unlimited guests & double ups , we will only need about 30 riders as they can just ride whenever & for who they want .

£15 max for top division..

All kids in for free..

When my lad got in for free and it was £15 basically for the two of us I went pretty regular..

Now he is a 14 year old I have to pay for him. Approx £25 in total on average at most tracks we visit..

Add in the usual bit of nosebag, car park and programme at these things and fifty notes can swiftly depart the wallet..

I have to be honest expecting me to attend one of the many Mickey Mouse meetings and pay circa £50 notes every week is a non starter..

Weekly Speedway as has been mentioned with fixed nights would mean circa £200 out of a monthly salary..

For many fans, Speedway isn't their main entertainment fix and is often a 'nice to do' rather than something that you prioritise..

Letting the kids in for free would if nothing else mean more visits from the likes of me (if it has some credibility) and surely its better to have someone visiting say 15 times a year at £10 - £15 that someone attending about five times and paying £25..?

Especially if you own your own track and take the bar, food and car park revenue..

And the place wouldn't look so deserted each week...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

All kids in for free..

When my lad got in for free and it was £15 basically for the two of us I went pretty regular..

Now he is a 14 year old I have to pay for him. Approx £25 in total on average at most tracks we visit..

Add in the usual bit of nosebag, car park and programme at these things and fifty notes can swiftly depart the wallet..

I have to be honest expecting me to attend one of the many Mickey Mouse meetings and pay circa £50 notes every week is a non starter..

Weekly Speedway as has been mentioned with fixed nights would mean circa £200 out of a monthly salary..

For many fans, Speedway isn't their main entertainment fix and is often a 'nice to do' rather than something that you prioritise..

Letting the kids in for free would if nothing else mean more visits from the likes of me (if it has some credibility) and surely its better to have someone visiting say 15 times a year at £10 - £15 that someone attending about five times and paying £25..?

Especially if you own your own track and take the bar, food and car park revenue..

And the place wouldn't look so deserted each week...

hope

All kids in for free..

And the place wouldn't look so deserted each week..

justere2cgoodspeedway take note

I don't know how to put speedway right, but I think one of its biggest problems is it's a motorbike sport, that has no real relevance to motorbikes as such. Go to other motorbike events and there will be hundreds, often thousands of motorbikes in the car park. At speedway you may be lucky to see 4 or 5. If you can't get bikers into a bike sport, then how you gonna get non bikers. Having said that, most people that watch speedway are non bikers. Maybe speedway needs to change to to bike parts or engines that bikers know of and can affiliate with. And what is that non bikers like about speedway?. Or is it just that their dad took them when they were younger and the still go?

Edited by baldyman

then explain this one to me.why is the ice hockey only 16 quid for an adult to watch then and attracts a heck of a lot more than the speedway does.if 2 adults and 2 kids go to speedway thats roughly 40 quid ish PER WEEK.which is a fair chunk out of anyones budget so yes lets charge 20 quid per adult and a tenner per kid and make it 60 quid instead.get real.cort of living has risen tremendously but a lot of folks wages haven't.i used to go out for a few but draw the line at pub prices and now buy from the supermarket if i want a beer and i certainly couldn't afford the beer and speedway.cardiff is also a one off event, not a whole season.plus define average wage to me.

You're talking bollox!! twenty quid is nothing these days - FACT!! £20 is like a fiver these days. Get over it!!

justere2cgoodspeedway take note

Not worth taking note. You're talking bollox!! twenty quid is nothing these days - FACT!! £20 is like a fiver these days. Get over it!!

Christ a round costs more than that and I saw a guy casually put a twenty quid note in a charity box the other day.

Edited by justere2cgoodspeedway