British Speedway Forum

I only got to a couple of Saturday meetings but based on those I got the impression that the crowds were nearly the same midweek as they were on Saturdays.

Gotta disagree there. Some of those midweek meetings were very poorly supported compared to Saturday. But on the flip side some of those meeting were in a space of 10 days where we ran 5 meetings but i really don't think midweek would be the favourite of many at Rye.

But that fixture list was awful regular meetings, even if they were Raider meeting may well help to keep supporters interested.

Gotta disagree there. Some of those midweek meetings were very poorly supported compared to Saturday. But on the flip side some of those meeting were in a space of 10 days where we ran 5 meetings but i really don't think midweek would be the favourite of many at Rye.

But that fixture list was awful regular meetings, even if they were Raider meeting may well help to keep supporters interested.

The meetings in that last week saw one of the biggest crowds for the TV meeting followed by poor crowds. Talking to regulars around me, many of them did two or three out of four because they could not afford so many meetings in such a short time. Running regular meetings means supporters follow their team but the way things were this last season you never knew when the next meeting would be. That makes it very hard to get new fans involved which is not good for the future of either Rye House or the sport as a whole.

There will also likely. Be competition for the fans if Lakeside return to the premier league next season..How many wil return ? Will there be enough fans to make two clubs in close proximity financially viable..people do not have a bottomless pit to spend on speedway especially at the top level......

There won't be another meeting at Rye this year

• Like 1

Not surprised. These things need to be organised well in advance. Playoffs have ruined Speedway for me with the season over at start of September for lots of teams. The sport always looked better under floodlights but now we end before we need to switch the lights on.

It might not be long before the sport is just a series of open meetings.

Edited by JmeRay

I have often thought that open meetings on the style favoured in the USA rather than league matches could be the salvation of speedway in Britain.

Any views on this suggestion?

I have often thought that open meetings on the style favoured in the USA rather than league matches could be the salvation of speedway in Britain.

Not my cup of tea for regular Speedway. I like the team aspect but thats being destroyed now.

No. There isn't a country without a league system where the sport thrives. It'd be no different here, just another nail in the coffin.

• Like 2

No team speedway no me.Individual meetings are ok every now and then but team speedway is what gives me that buzz.Theres nothing like your team having a good season.Following a team is what keeps my interest up for the full season its where every heat really means something.Team speedway also keeps my interest up during the closed season whats the points limit who are we going to sign who are other teams signing etc.Without that there would be nothing of any interest going on through all the cold winter months.

TEAM SPEEDWAY HANDS DOWN FOR ME.

• Like 1

Not surprised. These things need to be organised well in advance. Playoffs have ruined Speedway for me with the season over at start of September for lots of teams. The sport always looked better under floodlights but now we end before we need to switch the lights on.

I'm only interested in team speedway. Individual meetings do nothing for me.

Agree that there's something special about speedway under floodlights

Enjoying yourself in the frozen north shads?

Apart from missing Rye House and Pie & mash I'm enjoying it. Mind you, the last couple of days have been pretty nippy which I'm not liking. Still braving shorts at work though. Gotta show these Scots we ain't all southern softies!

Edited by Shads
  • Like 1

So according to Facebook Rye have agreed terms with three riders for next year... i wonder who? My bet is Nicholls, KK, Robson

One thing for sure is that I'd run far away from Harris if I were Rye House! A rider who has had some good times over the years but is on the edge of major decline.

One thing for sure is that I'd run far away from Harris if I were Rye House! A rider who has had some good times over the years but is on the edge of major decline.

Agreed. He's a spent force, better options out there on similar averages. I'm sure others will disagree because he's a racer and a nice guy. Would have Nicholls over him any day, again not the rider he once was but experienced and can get out of the traps.

I have no problem if Rye House management have decided not to run another meeting but I think they should have let their supporters know by now that we have seen the last for 2017 or that they are still trying to arrange a final meeting. The total silence is what annoys fans and looses support for a team.