British Speedway Forum

Set race nights should see less guests and R/R. That improves the product and that can only be a good thing. For me personally, moving to midweek would be better because I live within walking distance of the track and like to go out at the weekend. The only issue I can see is there won't be as many away fans attending meetings anywhere with midweek race nights. But then what clubs have a huge away following these days anyway?

One thing that has to be improved upon however is the time it takes to complete a meeting. Tapes up should be say 7.30 for a midweek meeting and finish no later than 9.00pm barring injuries. Not having to endure meetings with R/R and back to back rides should help with this too. At least this way people who have an hour or so to travel could get to and from the track in a reasonable amount of time.

We have to progress as a sport, we can't stick to our set race night (not that we have anyway this year) because that's the way it's always been. We won't attract new fans and more existing fans would be alienated ultimately. The set race night needs to happen, it's needed to happen for as long as I've followed the sport tbh.

Hard as it is I think fixed nights has to be given a go to hopefully cancel out some of the negative problems plaqueing Top Flight Speedway . News seems to be thin on ground at moment , any news on team planning for 2018 or stadium developement guys ? On two nights I would go for Thursdays .

Edited by Goldhawk

The aim is to not clash with other leagues so we dont have riders missing all the time.. if you ask fans what they want you will end up with a thousand different answers.. fans want different things you cant please everyone

That's right you can't. You also can't maintain a professional sport without enough paying customers.

Set race nights should see less guests and R/R. That improves the product and that can only be a good thing. For me personally, moving to midweek would be better because I live within walking distance of the track and like to go out at the weekend. The only issue I can see is there won't be as many away fans attending meetings anywhere with midweek race nights. But then what clubs have a huge away following these days anyway?

One thing that has to be improved upon however is the time it takes to complete a meeting. Tapes up should be say 7.30 for a midweek meeting and finish no later than 9.00pm barring injuries. Not having to endure meetings with R/R and back to back rides should help with this too. At least this way people who have an hour or so to travel could get to and from the track in a reasonable amount of time.

We have to progress as a sport, we can't stick to our set race night (not that we have anyway this year) because that's the way it's always been. We won't attract new fans and more existing fans would be alienated ultimately. The set race night needs to happen, it's needed to happen for as long as I've followed the sport tbh.

I don't disagree about set race nights, in theory they should work, in practice we'll have to wait and see. i agree re tapes up & delays. If running during the week this needs to be a prompt start and meetings run quickly.

So now we know what's everyones teams?

Cant have the same as what finished so who would you have

Sundstrom

Nicholls

KK

Robson

Morley

Wells

Branford

The team at the end was absolutely buzzing and I think this fits:

Harris -low average as always and actually worked out the home track

KK - very very low average just keep him happy

Nicholls - rider of the year, chance Rye House could be the venue of his "Indian Summer"

Wells - an absolute must made great strides last year, his pairing with KK was match changing

Barker- seemed to hate Ryes track but stuck with it and finally came good "respect"

Robbo - definitely a bottle of vintage claret, seems to get better with age

2.06 to play with go with a newbie like we did with Perks how about Jenkins

The team should be built around KK, starting as a second string. He is, for me, the only rider I would say has to be retained. As for the rest of the side that finished the season:

Harris (7.63) - as entertaining as he can be, is on the slide and isn't worth his average.

Nicholls (7.48) - consistent, good around Rye. Would accommodate him if he fits.

Wells (6.75) - has reached his ceiling I'd say. Could take him or leave him but there are better options out there.

Barker (6.00) - has never been completely comfortable at Rye. Would be a gamble on his average which I don't think would pay off.

Robson (5.72) - average looks a little expensive for me but he was the top bonus point scorer in the league. As with Nicholls, would accommodate if he fits a slot.

Morley (3.29) - did what was asked of him but there are two pointers who can do the same job and save us 1.29 for higher up the order.

From there it depends on which riders want to come and race in the UK and who we can (or choose to) afford.

Some names to consider for me would be:

Sundstrom (7-7.22) - mentioned him here before. Scope for improvement in his average. Rides with KK in Poland. Knows his way round Rye too.

NBJ (4.15) - an asset, knows the track and has potential. His season was cut short by injury but could be a decent reserve.

Kennett (6.39) - averaged north of 10 at Rye from number one before being dropped. Away form improved at Poole. As a second string would increase his starting figure.

• Like 1

Rye House

Harris 7.67

Sundstrom 7.22

Robson 5.72

Kasprzak 6.95

Nicholls 7.43

Busk-Jacobsen 4.15

Morley 3.29

• Like 1

The team at the end was absolutely buzzing and I think this fits:

Harris -low average as always and actually worked out the home track

KK - very very low average just keep him happy

Nicholls - rider of the year, chance Rye House could be the venue of his "Indian Summer"

Wells - an absolute must made great strides last year, his pairing with KK was match changing

Barker- seemed to hate Ryes track but stuck with it and finally came good "respect"

Robbo - definitely a bottle of vintage claret, seems to get better with age

2.06 to play with go with a newbie like we did with Perks how about Jenkins

The team should be built around KK, starting as a second string. He is, for me, the only rider I would say has to be retained. As for the rest of the side that finished the season:

Harris (7.63) - as entertaining as he can be, is on the slide and isn't worth his average.

Nicholls (7.48) - consistent, good around Rye. Would accommodate him if he fits.

Wells (6.75) - has reached his ceiling I'd say. Could take him or leave him but there are better options out there.

Barker (6.00) - has never been completely comfortable at Rye. Would be a gamble on his average which I don't think would pay off.

Robson (5.72) - average looks a little expensive for me but he was the top bonus point scorer in the league. As with Nicholls, would accommodate if he fits a slot.

Morley (3.29) - did what was asked of him but there are two pointers who can do the same job and save us 1.29 for higher up the order.

From there it depends on which riders want to come and race in the UK and who we can (or choose to) afford.

Some names to consider for me would be:

Sundstrom (7-7.22) - mentioned him here before. Scope for improvement in his average. Rides with KK in Poland. Knows his way round Rye too.

NBJ (4.15) - an asset, knows the track and has potential. His season was cut short by injury but could be a decent reserve.

Kennett (6.39) - averaged north of 10 at Rye from number one before being dropped. Away form improved at Poole. As a second string would increase his starting figure.

Rye House

Harris 7.67

Sundstrom 7.22

Robson 5.72

Kasprzak 6.95

Nicholls 7.43

Busk-Jacobsen 4.15

Morley 3.29

So where is your 8 point rider? Your promotion voted to have a limit of one 8 pointer per team to share them around so obviously they are going to sign one that is being released! Or was the rule just to screw Wolves, Swindon and BV from having an advantage in heats 13 and 15?

• Like 3

So where is your 8 point rider? Your promotion voted to have a limit of one 8 pointer per team to share them around so obviously they are going to sign one that is being released! Or was the rule just to screw Wolves, Swindon and BV from having an advantage in heats 13 and 15?

My thoughts exactly reading this. The same on the King's Lynn thread.

People putting forward teams without 8 point riders when teams are being forced to release them.

So of the 4 vote-happy sides we could have at least two of them not signing an 8 point rider and another one already having signed one from outside the league.

• Like 4

My thoughts exactly reading this. The same on the King's Lynn thread.

People putting forward teams without 8 point riders when teams are being forced to release them.

So of the 4 vote-happy sides we could have at least two of them not signing an 8 point rider and another one already having signed one from outside the league.

It's a maximum of one eight point rider per team, you don't have to have one at all.

• Like 1

It's a maximum of one eight point rider per team, you don't have to have one at all.

We know. But why vote for other teams to have to lose 8 point riders if you are not going to use them yourselves? If that does happen then it's even more pathetic from the teams that voted for it.

I used to be a fan of speedway. I now just support Swindon rather than the sport, and that is because they are constantly fighting against this nonsense.

If Swindon were a team voting in favour of stuff like this I'd be lost to the sport because I would no longer support them.

• Like 2

We know that but as your promotion voted to have only one per team, surely the were thinking of signing them - or were they just putting them out of work?? :rolleyes:

• Like 3

As it goes I think the rule is stupid, setting race nights to allow top riders to come back then limiting them but nothing in Speedway surprises me any more.

No rider is owed a job though. Points limits have seen riders out of work since they were introduced. Just because you at Swindon may have to lose Morris or Doyle it doesn't mean another club should have to take the one you don't fancy.

I'm not sure whether AGM decisions have to be unanimous or a majority but if it's the former then Swindon have also voted for it too, if it's the latter then who's to say that Rye House voted for it by the same token.

As well as Poole, who also had an out and out number one lined up. Or doesn't this fit your anti Poole agenda?

As it goes I think the rule is stupid, setting race nights to allow top riders to come back then limiting them but nothing in Speedway surprises me any more.

No rider is owed a job though. Points limits have seen riders out of work since they were introduced. Just because you at Swindon may have to lose Morris or Doyle it doesn't mean another club should have to take the one you don't fancy.

I'm not sure whether AGM decisions have to be unanimous or a majority but if it's the former then Swindon have also voted for it too, if it's the latter then who's to say that Rye House voted for it by the same token.

Nigel Pearson in his video blog said as much. Belle Vue were unable to vote & the bottom 4 teams from this years league voted in favour of limiting a team to one rider over 8. If these teams don't use a rider with an average over 8 they have basically screwed other teams & riders over.