British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Steve0 said:

It's beginning to look a lot like... a Dad's Army Coventry team.  Can they fit Nicholls, Harris and KK?  Guaranteed to win the title for ... the oldest team in the league (and can't see them having the stamina to make the playoffs).

Nothing wrong with being old. Just ask Greg Hancock!

Unbeaten home record it says grab a few points on the Road = play-offs.  With the home track advantage who would bet against them over 2 legs ?

Looks a strewed piece of business to me.

Do we know averages for the riders signed.. could we finish with Doyle, Nicholls and KK 

1 hour ago, Steve0 said:

It's beginning to look a lot like... a Dad's Army Coventry team.  Can they fit Nicholls, Harris and KK?  Guaranteed to win the title for ... the oldest team in the league (and can't see them having the stamina to make the playoffs).

Similar team to last season so far. 

5 minutes ago, semion said:

Unbeaten home record it says grab a few points on the Road = play-offs.  With the home track advantage who would bet against them over 2 legs ?

Looks a strewed piece of business to me.

Didn't work for them in 2017. 2 home losses , 3 away wins.  Need to increase the away tally and cut out the home losses to make the top 4.

1. Harris 7.63

2. Barker 6.00

3. Kennett 6.39

4. KK 6.86

5. Nicholls 7.48

6. Clegg 2.00...... I don't know how mind

7. Robson 5.72

Leaves 22.39 for the remaining 3 riders, so signing Doyle is a no if you're to sign the 'heat leaders'. Harris/Nicholls and KK comes to 0.42 under the average, so looks likely.

8 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Didn't work for them in 2017. 2 home losses , 3 away wins.  Need to increase the away tally and cut out the home losses to make the top 4.

Last season Teams did run with only one big hitter.  Rye could be coming back with virtually the same side that ended last season but with Kennett for Wells. Eddie is a 9/10 pointer around Hoddesdon, that's why I say I can't see them being turned over at home. 

Edited by semion

56 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Those losses were with a completely different team.

This team was on a complete roll at the end of the season and Poole 30 Rye House 60 and Rye House 47 Swindon 29 (that ended a 19 win streak) show the power of the team.

I genuinely would not swap this team for any other already announced/proposed, as for possibly winning the league many things such as injuries can happen and don't forget the 31 Jul transfer deadline when teams can be transformed.

Roll on March

1 hour ago, phillipsr said:

Do we know averages for the riders signed.. could we finish with Doyle, Nicholls and KK 

No mate. Having an almost 6 pointer at reserve makes it difficult to fit a big hitter in at 1. If it is Harris, Nicholls & KK it’s a decent team in this league but that says a lot about the strength of the league. 

1 hour ago, semion said:

Last season Teams did run with only one big hitter.  Rye could be coming back with virtually the same side that ended last season but with Kennett for Wells. Eddie is a 9/10 pointer around Hoddesdon, that's why I say I can't see them being turned over at home. 

Kennett started the season with Rye that suffered those home losses.

57 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

Those losses were with a completely different team.

This team was on a complete roll at the end of the season and Poole 30 Rye House 60 and Rye House 47 Swindon 29 (that ended a 19 win streak) show the power of the team.

I genuinely would not swap this team for any other already announced/proposed, as for possibly winning the league many things such as injuries can happen and don't forget the 31 Jul transfer deadline when teams can be transformed.

Roll on March

Fair point.  Let's see when other teams have declared to compare against. 

1 hour ago, Panthers89 said:

1. Harris 7.63

2. Barker 6.00

3. Kennett 6.39

4. KK 6.86

5. Nicholls 7.48

6. Clegg 2.00...... I don't know how mind

7. Robson 5.72

If that is the team it’s very, very, very Dads Army.  Just like Swindon, I have to ask, where is the improvement going to come from? KK? He could easily turn out to be the Poole 2017 version.

That lineup won’t win the title in 2018.

8 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

If that is the team it’s very, very, very Dads Army.  Just like Swindon, I have to ask, where is the improvement going to come from? KK? He could easily turn out to be the Poole 2017 version.

That lineup won’t win the title in 2018.

Dads army with a sickly child to mind at 6

On 12/22/2017 at 11:56 AM, Col said:

Underwhelming start to team building by the Rockets, I was expecting Doyle to be announced after the build it was given.

Underwhelming signings for a 2nd day on the trot.

The ages of the riders are irrelevant if they can do the job on the track. 

So far we have Clegg on a two point average. Can he improve it? Yes. 

Robson on a 5.72 at reserve. Can he improve it? Probably not but probably will maintain it and lets not forget he was top bonus point scorer in the league this year. His average was nearer seven with bonus points included. It's a good reserve pairing. 

Barker on a 6.00. Can he improve it? Probably not. This is the one announced so far I'm not over enthused by. But, he is likely to be at two or in a reserve berth all season. 

Kennett on a 6.39. Can he improve it? Yes. His home form should look after that. He's not got the pressure of being number one but he can score like one at Rye House. As a second string he'll be solid enough away. 

I'm hoping the last three are Nicholls, KK and another. As entertaining as Harris is, he is going in one direction average wise. Nicholls is better out of the traps and a better team rider too as far as I'm concerned. It could be better for sure but we won't be whipping boys. 

25 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

The ages of the riders are irrelevant if they can do the job on the track. 

So far we have Clegg on a two point average. Can he improve it? Yes. 

Robson on a 5.72 at reserve. Can he improve it? Probably not but probably will maintain it and lets not forget he was top bonus point scorer in the league this year. His average was nearer seven with bonus points included. It's a good reserve pairing. 

Barker on a 6.00. Can he improve it? Probably not. This is the one announced so far I'm not over enthused by. But, he is likely to be at two or in a reserve berth all season. 

Kennett on a 6.39. Can he improve it? Yes. His home form should look after that. He's not got the pressure of being number one but he can score like one at Rye House. As a second string he'll be solid enough away. 

I'm hoping the last three are Nicholls, KK and another. As entertaining as Harris is, he is going in one direction average wise. Nicholls is better out of the traps and a better team rider too as far as I'm concerned. It could be better for sure but we won't be whipping boys. 

I think the final rider will be Chris Harris. Scott is a certainty and responded positively on twitter following the announcement of the first two signings and the whole team appears to be built around the inclusion of KK. There are barely any other options. Kenneth Bjerre's average is too high whilst  others around the high seven's are already accounted for except Hans Andersen. I wouldn't go there though. He and Scott had history during their season together at Ipswich in 2004 and, whatever you do, don't mention the final heat of the SWC that same year!

With all the speculation I have seen regarding Rye House to be in a very good position to sign some big hitters they sign Kennett and barker.