British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, startline sid said:

Well said unfortunately not everything that happens (and the reasons for them) can be posted on here but yes fully agree that if one talks to Steve you will always get a straight answer to a question.  Don't know why there is such a great problem with there being no p and p - think the answer is obvious (but this is my guess) firstly   the track was in no fit state because of the weather and when it was fit to ride on all of the riders were not available at the same time because of doubling up with other clubs - many of the team are already racing - still never mind I for one am looking forward to a good seasons racing at  one of the best tracks in the country for close racing (only my view) - lets all hope for a safe and maybe a successful season

Look I agree the publicity is not great but how one forgets the last few years of Silver. Crap teams usually bottom three, favorites Bowen Boxall etc, no atmosphere, double headers that lasted two days not two hours and run down stadium. Scott and Jensen have produced the best team in years (Poole 30 Rye House 60 and Rye House 49 Swindon 27 come immediately to mind), track walks and a developing (slowly) stadium.

Sure things aren't perfect and perhaps not how you would run the show but have some balance please.

• Like 4

Me being the sceptic I am  thinking perhaps p & p didn't go ahead  because the track really wasnt fit but also because alterations/improvements being made to the stadium might not be to the fans liking and the promotion didn't want any info getting out before the first meeting !!  The weather for Monday is looking bleak so we may have to wait a bit longer for all to be revealed. Anyone passing the stadium this week could perhaps have a nosey round to put our minds at rest.

55 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

Look I agree the publicity is not great but how one forgets the last few years of Silver. Crap teams usually bottom three, favorites Bowen Boxall etc, no atmosphere, double headers that lasted two days not two hours and run down stadium. Scott and Jensen have produced the best team in years (Poole 30 Rye House 60 and Rye House 49 Swindon 27 come immediately to mind), track walks and a developing (slowly) stadium.

Sure things aren't perfect and perhaps not how you would run the show but have some balance please.

The last few years of Silver on track weren't great. The PR also wasn't good but it was still better than it has been from the current promotion in the fact that it was consistent rather than coming in flurries with plenty of silence between. 

Let's not kid ourselves that last year we had anything like a great team. Two results mean nothing. Our last truly good team was in 2007. KK fell in our lap last season and dug us out of a hole. The team for this season isn't great either and will rely on Kasprzak again if we are to make a play-off challenge. We've opted for 'names' in Nicholls and Harris who are probably only going downwards, over trying to bring in someone like Sundstrom who may actually increase his average. The way the promotion team build strikes me as "he's done well in the past so he will again." See Watt last year, see Lanham in the Premier League campaign for evidence of that. 

We're not in the censorship era any longer. Tell us why Barker was released (tell us why we even signed him in the first place, he's bobbins), tell us how the stadium developments are going, give us a reason why there is no Press and Practice as opposed to letting people speculate. It doesn't take long to do these things but they will be appreciated greatly by fans of the club a.k.a. The paying customers. 

• Like 4

It takes as long as it takes to type "Work on the Track and Stadium Improvements has been severely hampered by the adverse weather conditions experienced this year but we are confident everything will be sorted for our Season Opening Meeting".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben91 said:

The last few years of Silver on track weren't great. The PR also wasn't good but it was still better than it has been from the current promotion in the fact that it was consistent rather than coming in flurries with plenty of silence between. 

Let's not kid ourselves that last year we had anything like a great team. Two results mean nothing. Our last truly good team was in 2007. KK fell in our lap last season and dug us out of a hole. The team for this season isn't great either and will rely on Kasprzak again if we are to make a play-off challenge. We've opted for 'names' in Nicholls and Harris who are probably only going downwards, over trying to bring in someone like Sundstrom who may actually increase his average. The way the promotion team build strikes me as "he's done well in the past so he will again." See Watt last year, see Lanham in the Premier League campaign for evidence of that. 

We're not in the censorship era any longer. Tell us why Barker was released (tell us why we even signed him in the first place, he's bobbins), tell us how the stadium developments are going, give us a reason why there is no Press and Practice as opposed to letting people speculate. It doesn't take long to do these things but they will be appreciated greatly by fans of the club a.k.a. The paying customers. 

The problem has been and will remain at Rye for a while. New promotors & manager with limited knowledge/connections for further reaches of speedway. Even if they did fancy signing a rider like Sundstrom they would make so much noise getting contact details it would alert all the competition. So instead they stick with established names who are consistent but offer limited improvement on their averages much as they have done with their touring car team with the likes of Plato & Turkington etc. Ironically success only came to that when the developed their own driver so perhaps that will be the wake up the speedway approach needs.

I know this is going to go down like a lead balloon, but some of the crap that has been written over the last few days about the management and promotion really is tiresome.

I doubt any of the negative bile is based on any sort of informed fact, just posting for the sake of it.

If you don' like what they do, don't bother turning up.

I know this is forum for open speach/debate and that's what I've done, but not about the management who I can see are trying to get up to speed with our sport.

Just stop the moaning and get behind them.

• Like 3

It is a fact that since the end of last season there has been very little information on the Rye website which is what a lot of us are commenting on, if there was more info forthcoming from the management we might have something more substantial to discuss and feel more inclined to get behind  the management. When we attend our first home meeting we will hopefully be able to see improvements made to the stadium and then perhaps we will be more enthusiastic about the forthcoming season. I for one really want to see the team finish at least in the top four.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hackneyrocket said:

I know this is going to go down like a lead balloon, but some of the crap that has been written over the last few days about the management and promotion really is tiresome.

I doubt any of the negative bile is based on any sort of informed fact, just posting for the sake of it.

If you don' like what they do, don't bother turning up.

I know this is forum for open speach/debate and that's what I've done, but not about the management who I can see are trying to get up to speed with our sport.

Just stop the moaning and get behind them.

What posts are you referring to as 'crap' and 'bile' out of interest? 

The trouble with the 'take it or leave it' approach is that people are leaving it. 

In a world when there are so many alternatives to going to Speedway people don't have to just get behind the team because that's the way it is. Very similar comments lost us a lot of fans when Len Silver made them a few years ago when he dropped Jason Doyle in favour of Steve Boxall. 

• Like 1

Not sure it you went much last season but the crowds were up on the last few years.

Not being a rye fan, the publicity side of things doesn't really bother me. As a paying punter, I would like to see a well run meeting with some decent racing on a well prepared track. Just like I saw at Peterborough on Sunday night, is that too much to ask.

• Like 1

I do agree to an extent on quiet PR during close season and have doubts on some riders signed , Kennett is one of them , but Steve was hunting down the current World Champion in close season hardly going for easy names . No doubt based on last year changes WILL be made if team under performs . We will soon see how they get on the track and should all get behind them in the meantime. Up the Rockets  !

Edited by Goldhawk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hackneyrocket said:

Not sure it you went much last season but the crowds were up on the last few years.

As well they should have been. The club stepping into the top tier for the first time since reformation will have piqued interest. The fact that our nearest top flight club from the season before, Lakeside, dropped into the third tier will have brought fans who wanted to watch top tier racing from there. Coventry folded, their hardcore fans will have wanted a speedway fix and conveniently our side contained (and still does) a big ex-Bees contingent. Rye was also a new track for fans of many visiting clubs which will have put a few on the gate I'd expect. 

The crowds earlier in the season were better than later on though, we can't expect people to turn up. This season Lakeside are back in the 'pro' ranks in the second tier and to be perfectly honest, their side isn't much weaker than ours. Coventry also have a team back on track albeit in the third tier and based at Leicester, but it is closer to Coventry than Rye House is. The novelty of top tier racing will wear off for other Rye fans too. 

I'm not being a doom and gloom merchant, it just feels to me that over the winter more could have been done to get fans excited for what is to come. But it isn't 'crap' or 'bile' it is opinion, and one that others do share. 

• Like 2

You make some very valid points. I also think that the regular weekday race night will prove a problem to some fans, Me included!

• Like 1