British Speedway Forum

We live in a totally different world now with 24 hour TV and sports.

Speedway like Cricket (although 20-20 has been its salvation) lost its family image and patience seems to have gone as people want continuous excitement.

Speedway racing is as exciting if not more so than ever and the riders exceptionall skilful but for now we live with what we have, there are still nearly 30 clubs going so nothing as bad as 1958 when there were only 10 full time clubs.

• Like 1

The problem is, that joe public doesn't think that 15 minutes of 'entertainment' is worth 20 quid. Run the main event for those that want a quick get away, and put on some motocross for those that want their money's worth.

• Like 2

It's a heck of a long time ago but at Rayleigh in the early 60s the Rockets had to finish on time to let the greyhound racing take over, so they do have 'previous; ;-)

One major change in British society in my lifetime is that we are no longer a nation of non-complainers, at least publicly to bad service providers. Instead of just moaning in private or just putting up with rubbish part of the slow Americanisation of our society is the willingness to complain and to expect good service. Sadly few in speedway have woken up to this and believe they can just do what they want, offer what they want and the customer will just take it. Times have changed, expectations have changed and you can't get away with that anymore.

Back in the days when meetings abandoned after heat 6 saw no refunds at all and so with just 6 heats to pay for it could be rather rewarding for promoters, I remember one of the 'old lags' of speedway talking in the old caravan office at Rye House. "Old 'so and so' had a result last night - called off after six." Our much vilified promoter of the day, now happily curating the track at Swindon rebuked him pretty directly, "And what about those who won't come back next week?"

Sometimes the ones who are alert to the needs of the public are the 'villains' while those who put together winning teams but don't give a damn about the fans are the 'heroes'. 

I do hope the new promotion do show genuine regard for the fans. An old friend of mine did complain about the stadium work being dangerously incomplete and was banned for it but I do hope that was just a stupid mistake that has been learned from. 

GWC quite rightly pointed out that with 30 tracks running we are in terms of numbers better off than 1958 but in those days promoters expected to make money from the sport. Now many are fans who are prepared to make losses. So, while I am concerned about the lack of understanding of customer care or respect you do have to appreciate their determination to keep going.

Of course we knew there was a crisis the year before, 1957, when the previous three leagues finally collapsed into one and a certain team spent their only year in the top flight - Rayleigh Rockets. That put them out of business for a few years until the arrival of the Provincial League. I do hope the Rye House version of the Rockets fares better. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 1

Not a regular contributor here but thought I would come in and see what the news was on this farce with the MotoX track. 

I cannot see how there will be even half decent views from anything except small pockets of the trackside, at best. It will take major work in terms of building extensive and substantial stands to give the majority of the crowd sightlines that let them see the racing. 

The new racenights were actually a bonus for me and I was expecting to get to more than my usual 6-8 home meetings a season but I really fear that my first one this campaign may be my last, at least for the foreseeable future.

I’ll attend the opening fixture and if it’s as difficult to enjoyably view the racing as I expect it to be then will ask for a refund (and I suspect I won’t be the only one) and sadly have to consider making Lakeside my regular speedway fix. That would be a huge pity as Rye House is where I discovered the sport, is my favourite track to to watch it at and the team I care about. At Lakeside I would be an interested well-wisher,  no more. 

I read someone upthread tell people to “Support BMR” which is absurd, I support Rye House Rockets not the company currently owning it. The promotion have done a lot of good in the short term but some of their actions show a worrying ambivalence to speedway’s  long-term future at the track. 

"Sadly "Make it a date, Sunday at 4.30" wouldn't have quite sounded right at Rye House". 

Come and get dirty,Sunday at 4.30!

5 minutes ago, poppetman said:

"Sadly "Make it a date, Sunday at 4.30" wouldn't have quite sounded right at Rye House". 

Come and get dirty,Sunday at 4.30!

You could have a great future in speedway administration.

Run now, while you can.......... ;-)

• Like 1

On 02/04/2018 at 10:10 AM, GWC said:

Speedway like Cricket (although 20-20 has been its salvation) lost its family image and patience seems to have gone as people want continuous excitement.

At the risk of appearing somewhat dense, though ball games aren't my bag at all, briefly how does 20./20 cricket differ from the 'regular' version of so many overs?...

2 hours ago, SFTGNigel said:

Not a regular contributor here but thought I would come in and see what the news was on this farce with the MotoX track. 

I cannot see how there will be even half decent views from anything except small pockets of the trackside, at best. It will take major work in terms of building extensive and substantial stands to give the majority of the crowd sightlines that let them see the racing. 

The new racenights were actually a bonus for me and I was expecting to get to more than my usual 6-8 home meetings a season but I really fear that my first one this campaign may be my last, at least for the foreseeable future.

I’ll attend the opening fixture and if it’s as difficult to enjoyably view the racing as I expect it to be then will ask for a refund (and I suspect I won’t be the only one) and sadly have to consider making Lakeside my regular speedway fix. That would be a huge pity as Rye House is where I discovered the sport, is my favourite track to to watch it at and the team I care about. At Lakeside I would be an interested well-wisher,  no more. 

I read someone upthread tell people to “Support BMR” which is absurd, I support Rye House Rockets not the company currently owning it. The promotion have done a lot of good in the short term but some of their actions show a worrying ambivalence to speedway’s  long-term future at the track. 

Hi All,

Has anyone got any photos of the centre green / track so we can all see what it now looks like please?

I am picturing a  small Ben Nevis on the infield....I hope I am wrong!

I must say, I've never seen the launch pad looking so sad. A far cry from my first visit, way back in 1972.

2 hours ago, Speedwaycrazy said:

Hi All,

Has anyone got any photos of the centre green / track so we can all see what it now looks like please?

I am picturing a  small Ben Nevis on the infield....I hope I am wrong!

To me it looks like big piles of mud and lots of potholes - bit like the car park!  Still looking on the brightside its a good place for the riders to practice their gardening

Plenty of dirt for the riders to collect and use to garden at the gate. Imagine out the pits onto the motoX track to the highest point wave to the crowd collect a bucket of dirt while your up there and then off to the starting gate to deposit the dirt in your selected rut ( while maintaining full control of the bike at all times) 

• Like 2

For those of you who would like to see track/view of track, Steve Jenson has invited people to attend this sunday between 11am-1pm with free tea/coffee 

And he will answer any concerns you may have

• Like 2