British Speedway Forum

Disappointed about last night, I can’t remember having a night that bad for a long long time or a more slower start to the season. I’m sorry to the fans and my club Rye House for last night, the engine I would normally use for Leicester is currently being repaired so I had to use a different one but it was just too strong for the track & with 100% effort and trying everything we just couldn't get a set-up to work. It’s disappointing to see & read fans blaming the arrival of my daughter Amara-Mae and my winter wedding for the few meetings where I’ve had a bit of a slow start is just a joke and an insult. The last 6 months a lot has happened with wedding, moving house, and arrival of my daughter. My mum also told me a few days before Christmas that she had cancer and my grandad has been quite poorly, but when it comes to my job everything personal gets put to one side as it always has and I concentrate purely on my racing because at the end of the day it’s my job that I am paid to do, and a job that I love. I always turn up with 100% effort or more for anyone I ride for, so for me to not be scoring well disappoints myself more than anyone else. It has been a slow start to the season for many riders and not just myself, keyboard warriors should learn that an off meeting or two doesn’t mean a rider has lost the ability or talent to race, it generally means bike issues or riding with an injury! There have been so many rain offs and I have had a few issues with my bikes which I am not happy about, but the bike issues are being sorted and I am still in love with my racing. There a long season ahead yet and I’m looking forward to racing my bike and proving people wrong 1f44d_1f3fb.png

People involved in the sport need to stop using the term "keyboard warrior(s)." Not going to get people on side at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris said:

What a mess and sadly all too predictable. The side when announced was crap and they have proven it on track.

Needs to be taken apart and start again with riders now out injured. Only one who should be kept on is KK. The rest are offering nothing.

Totally agree, anyone with any basic speedway knowledge and that is not totally deluded could see this team was beyond poor. Wooden spoon awaits unless team changes are made.. I mean before Monday against Somerset otherwise we are looking down the barrel of another defeat. 

1 hour ago, tellboy said:

Some averages do seem to have changed on the BSPA website.

I couldn’t work out why they changed the rule from 4h + 4a to rolling averages. Looking at the latest set of averages the only real big change is super seven ride Dan has been moved up from reserve. I think it makes us weaker - which is probably the point. 

18 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

People involved in the sport need to stop using the term "keyboard warrior(s)." Not going to get people on side at all. 

That struck me as soon as I read it. I don't know what was written on any other forums but you do have to be prepared to accept criticism, it's often a result of bitter disappointment from the sender. A few double figure scores from Chris would be widely welcomed I should think, otherwise he might need to don his tin hat!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foamfence said:

Disappointed about last night, I can’t remember having a night that bad for a long long time or a more slower start to the season. I’m sorry to the fans and my club Rye House for last night, the engine I would normally use for Leicester is currently being repaired so I had to use a different one but it was just too strong for the track & with 100% effort and trying everything we just couldn't get a set-up to work. It’s disappointing to see & read fans blaming the arrival of my daughter Amara-Mae and my winter wedding for the few meetings where I’ve had a bit of a slow start is just a joke and an insult. The last 6 months a lot has happened with wedding, moving house, and arrival of my daughter. My mum also told me a few days before Christmas that she had cancer and my grandad has been quite poorly, but when it comes to my job everything personal gets put to one side as it always has and I concentrate purely on my racing because at the end of the day it’s my job that I am paid to do, and a job that I love. I always turn up with 100% effort or more for anyone I ride for, so for me to not be scoring well disappoints myself more than anyone else. It has been a slow start to the season for many riders and not just myself, keyboard warriors should learn that an off meeting or two doesn’t mean a rider has lost the ability or talent to race, it generally means bike issues or riding with an injury! There have been so many rain offs and I have had a few issues with my bikes which I am not happy about, but the bike issues are being sorted and I am still in love with my racing. There a long season ahead yet and I’m looking forward to racing my bike and proving people wrong 1f44d_1f3fb.png

Thank you for the update and very sorry to hear of the personal  and professional issues, its hard though as a passionate fan when we hear absolutely nothing from the club whats going on so we naturally jump to our own conclusions. Lessons to be learned for everyone.

Lets hope you can return to the form we all know you are capable of asap.

• Like 1

Let no one challenge Chris Harris's commitment to riding his Speedway bike either for himself or his teams, club and country!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, foamfence said:

That struck me as soon as I read it. I don't know what was written on any other forums but you do have to be prepared to accept criticism, it's often a result of bitter disappointment from the sender. A few double figure scores from Chris would be widely welcomed I should think, otherwise he might need to don his tin hat!

Harris never seems to blame himself it's always his bike or something else he's been around long enough now to work set ups out

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Booey boy said:

Harris never seems to blame himself it's always his bike or something else he's been around long enough now to work set ups out

Bombers inability to work out setups have held him back for his entire career. Lost count of times ive heard engine was wrong, not enough speed etc. The reason he has stayed "at the top" for so long is his riding style and commitment but the technical nature always has & will evade him

If, as he says he has done very meetings how come his 'Leicester' bike is at the menders ?  bad planning ?     Does he have a bike for Rye one for Somerset one for Belle Vue, One for Berwick etc etc etc . ???

10 minutes ago, semion said:

If, as he says he has done very meetings how come his 'Leicester' bike is at the menders ?  bad planning ?     Does he have a bike for Rye one for Somerset one for Belle Vue, One for Berwick etc etc etc . ???

Engine i presume you mean. Obviously it's in for some major surgery after a problem, things can go wrong even on a 'warm up' ...

12 minutes ago, semion said:

Engines routinely go wrong, which are never planned! Many riders will have 4 or 5 engines (many will have more if they are very busy), and will have a preferred engine for a specific track. If one engine is unavailable (engine tuner may be taking longer than expected, for example), the rider has to go with the next best option, which sometimes actually works well, but other times it fails miserably!

6 hours ago, foamfence said:

I like Chris Harris alot but this is just plain ridiculous. 

Concentrate on sorting your mechanical issues AGAIN and ignore what fans put on social media. 

There are no "keyboard warriors" as he states. Just passionate fans letting out there frustration on a poor start to the year

Edited by Phil The Ace
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Booey boy said:

I was at Wolverhampton a few weeks back and Scott struggled for set up also that night. You listen to riders during the gp's and even if unbeaten they want to tinker with something, I have little knowledge on how to set a speedway bike up but with the different size tracks, differently prepared tracks and riding style and even temperature i don't think its as easy as we would like to think it is. I don't agree with all of Bombers comments, i think riders do go through bad spells and when you can't start for toffee on a consistent basis you have got to have good equipment or equipment that's working well. KK looked unstoppable in some races and then others he just wasn't on it and that's another case of man and machine not being right.

These bikes are not what they were 15-20 years ago, they look ready to launch one way or another and as much as we close our eyes i think anybody who rides one deserves the upmost respect, themselves or somebody else can finish their career or worse in an instant and it is worth remembering that we go home safe and we want all riders to do the same. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Coventry_Bee said:

I was at Wolverhampton a few weeks back and Scott struggled for set up also that night. You listen to riders during the gp's and even if unbeaten they want to tinker with something, I have little knowledge on how to set a speedway bike up but with the different size tracks, differently prepared tracks and riding style and even temperature i don't think its as easy as we would like to think it is. I don't agree with all of Bombers comments, i think riders do go through bad spells and when you can't start for toffee on a consistent basis you have got to have good equipment or equipment that's working well. KK looked unstoppable in some races and then others he just wasn't on it and that's another case of man and machine not being right.

These bikes are not what they were 15-20 years ago, they look ready to launch one way or another and as much as we close our eyes i think anybody who rides one deserves the upmost respect, themselves or somebody else can finish their career or worse in an instant and it is worth remembering that we go home safe and we want all riders to do the same. 

We also pay their wages and forums are for people to express their feelings, whether others agree or not. I think if Chris hadn't reacted as he did, the whole thing would have blown over. If (as he claims) his personal life is put to one side while racing, why does he keep bringing it up? Anyway, hopefully he'll be back on form and things are forgotten.

• Like 3