British Speedway Forum

7 hours ago, foamfence said:

Disappointed about last night, I can’t remember having a night that bad for a long long time or a more slower start to the season. I’m sorry to the fans and my club Rye House for last night, the engine I would normally use for Leicester is currently being repaired so I had to use a different one but it was just too strong for the track & with 100% effort and trying everything we just couldn't get a set-up to work. It’s disappointing to see & read fans blaming the arrival of my daughter Amara-Mae and my winter wedding for the few meetings where I’ve had a bit of a slow start is just a joke and an insult. The last 6 months a lot has happened with wedding, moving house, and arrival of my daughter. My mum also told me a few days before Christmas that she had cancer and my grandad has been quite poorly, but when it comes to my job everything personal gets put to one side as it always has and I concentrate purely on my racing because at the end of the day it’s my job that I am paid to do, and a job that I love. I always turn up with 100% effort or more for anyone I ride for, so for me to not be scoring well disappoints myself more than anyone else. It has been a slow start to the season for many riders and not just myself, keyboard warriors should learn that an off meeting or two doesn’t mean a rider has lost the ability or talent to race, it generally means bike issues or riding with an injury! There have been so many rain offs and I have had a few issues with my bikes which I am not happy about, but the bike issues are being sorted and I am still in love with my racing. There a long season ahead yet and I’m looking forward to racing my bike and proving people wrong 1f44d_1f3fb.png

To be fair, Chris, 99% of speedway fans know you’re a great bloke who gives 100%. Best of luck with turning it around.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chris said:

What a mess and sadly all too predictable. The side when announced was crap and they have proven it on track.

Needs to be taken apart and start again with riders now out injured. Only one who should be kept on is KK. The rest are offering nothing.

Don’t be down, Chris, at least you say there’s one rider worth keeping - just think of the poor Poole fans!

The best way to reward a sportsman for their efforts on your team's behalf is to support them later when the going gets tough. It seems that Rye House has quickly adapted to the top tier, love them when they're winning but the moment anything goes wrong put the boot in.

As for the pathetic excise of "We pay their wages, we can say what we like", well firstly you don't pay the wages, the promoter does, and with the state of modern speedway in this country the 'fans' only make a contribution. 

The proof of a true supporter lies not in how they deal with victory, but how they deal with defeat. Constant calls to sack this guy or that guy do NOTHING to help.

Yes, you can say what you like, within the law, but it doesn't mean you should. A grain of intelligence might be useful. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

The best way to reward a sportsman for their efforts on your team's behalf is to support them later when the going gets tough. It seems that Rye House has quickly adapted to the top tier, love them when they're winning but the moment anything goes wrong put the boot in.

As for the pathetic excise of "We pay their wages, we can say what we like", well firstly you don't pay the wages, the promoter does, and with the state of modern speedway in this country the 'fans' only make a contribution. 

The proof of a true supporter lies not in how they deal with victory, but how they deal with defeat. Constant calls to sack this guy or that guy do NOTHING to help.

Yes, you can say what you like, within the law, but it doesn't mean you should. A grain of intelligence might be useful. 

If you read my posts on today's topic, you will see that I'm broadly in support of Chris, you actually quoted something that I didn't say. I've been a supporter since the 1950s, also a mechanic and a sponsor, so I do have some understanding of the problems involved but people have a right to express their opinions and frustrations and as I said earlier, my opinion is that Chris would have been better saying nothing and letting it all be forgotten. Anyway the problems are now hopefully behind him and he'll be back to his best.

• Like 1

Wonder how much of the Promoters money Chris earned last night,doubt it was nothing for scoring nothing though.

23 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

You don't honestly believe this do you? 

There were plenty who didn't agree with certain aspects of how the club and how certain riders performed and would post saying as much when we were in the Premier League. 

The bit in bold is bonkers. The club earns money through fans attending meetings. Granted every penny of Rider X's wages isn't paid directly by one fan but, newsflash, no fans = no money = no wages for the riders. Or even more bluntly, no fans = no speedway. It isn't a pathetic excuse, it is the truth. It isn't the fault of fans that Speedway is in the state it is in either, so if promotions are having to subsidise their riders from their own, non-speedway cashflow, who should they be looking at to find a reason as to why they're having to do so? That is sport wide, not just in relation to Rye. In fairness to our promotion, the seeds for the state the sport is now in were sown many years before they were even involved in the sport. 

Your definition of being a supporter is incredibly off the mark. Fans should have patience, yes, but they also have a right to comment on things, otherwise what is the point of a forum? Calls to sack riders may not help, but they also shouldn't hinder when they are in a place that frankly, a rider should not be looking if he doesn't want to see criticism directed towards his performances. 

It doesn't make people unintelligent if their opinion and yours are different. 

• Like 2

We keep being told how much weaker this league is now but I’m a bit concerned that 3 riders with a 100 plus GP’s behind them are struggling?

7 hours ago, foamfence said:

If you read my posts on today's topic, you will see that I'm broadly in support of Chris, you actually quoted something that I didn't say. I've been a supporter since the 1950s, also a mechanic and a sponsor, so I do have some understanding of the problems involved but people have a right to express their opinions and frustrations and as I said earlier, my opinion is that Chris would have been better saying nothing and letting it all be forgotten. Anyway the problems are now hopefully behind him and he'll be back to his best.

Don't agree on second paragraph from Foamfence  , fans ARE entitled to their view . No fans = No promoters but agree with rest of the post at same time and there isn't a rider who tries harder than the Bomber and having met him he is one top bloke too . Onwards and upwards to Bomber and the Rockets for the season in which we're only one month into to be fair .  

PS Steve Jenson stated at Tatum / Pearson night in February at Paradise Park that he reads these forums and learns from them ( Frankly that's a breath of fresh air from a rival promoter not far away from Rye who treats them with contempt if their views doesn't match his ) 

I've no doubt that Steve wants to build a very successful club at Rye or he will as last year change team to achieve if need be . The club in general are geared towards the fans with a friendly atmosphere on night at the Speedway and that's a very good starting point going forward !! This promotion if they had qualified could have won the 2017 Premier league in their first season in top division .

Edited by Goldhawk

8 hours ago, DC2 said:

To be fair, Chris, 99% of speedway fans know you’re a great bloke who gives 100%. Best of luck with turning it around.

Ditto Chris and you have given the British fans much to cheer over the years & WHO CAN FORGOT CARDIFF IN 2007 - ONE WORD - BRILLIANT !!! :)

Edited by Goldhawk
TO ADD TOO
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

I like Chris Harris alot but this is just plain ridiculous. 

Concentrate on sorting your mechanical issues AGAIN and ignore what fans put on social media. 

There are no "keyboard warriors" as he states. Just passionate fans letting out there frustration on a poor start to the year

I'd say its a fine line between the two. It's very easy for people to be negative and sometimes quite nasty on Twitter, best to not read the comments if I was him.

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I'd say its a fine line between the two. It's very easy for people to be negative and sometimes quite nasty on Twitter, best to not read the comments if I was him.

Also best not too reply in the manner he did.Most fans know he gives his best out on track.He lets himself down with some of his comments IMO .

Not sure it's particularly bright to have a pop at the fans after scoring 0 from 4 as a number 1. Best thing would be to shut up and sort yourself out.

He's on a downward spiral now and isn't the rider he was 10 or even 5 years ago. He's struggling in the league below, so that says it all.

The fact he is number one at Rye is probably unfair on him as he's nowhere near that level anymore and the Rye promotion need to recognise that very quickly.

• Like 4

Very rarely enter the Rye House pages, but I had an hour with nothing to do and browsed through.  Lots of moans about the team and 

in particular about Bomber Harris. Understandable, given his form so far this year. What interested me most was the stuff about the stadium and viewing.

The last time I was at Rye House, several years ago, there were lots of red seats round each bend and excellent viewing where-ever you stood or sat.

There were two bars and a really good fish and chip place under the main stand.  It sounds as if a lot of that has disappeared. Comparison was made with Arena Essex

which is my own track.  Not a comfortable place to watch unless you can get into the bar area.  That is one reason why I now spend a lot of my speedway

viewing at Arlington where I can get a comfortable seat above the back straight with top class viewing and a bar and with the same facilities, albeit not quite

as run down, at Kent's Central Park ( though on some days it is decidedly chilly there with a cool wind coming in off the Thames Estuary).  I believe that in this

modern era, most people want a bit of comfort with their entertainment, so tracks like Rye House and Arena will suffer.

Personally I hate all the negativity on this forum.  I find the racing as exciting as ever, BUT, I do miss all the banter that used to go on in the old days when there

were regular modest scuffles between riders and promoters seemed as if they hated each other. All great fun and sadly no longer there.

At one time my best friend was a promoter and his view was "Get some public reaction, cheering or booing, it didn't matter which"  I think he had a point.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2018 at 2:55 AM, Goldhawk said:

Ditto Chris and you have given the British fans much to cheer over the years & WHO CAN FORGOT CARDIFF IN 2007 - ONE WORD - BRILLIANT !!! :)

He can't keep living on that it was 11 years ago

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Nikolaj Busk Jakobsen signs on a 28 day contract in place of the injured Stuart Robson