British Speedway Forum

50 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

Its OK playing fantasy speedway but all the options will be too expensive unless you unload either Harris, Nicholls or KK. without the TV money and reduced attendances from FRN I suspect the sport is in serious danger and coming to the tapes in April 2019 might be the biggest success any club can achieve this year.

That said, as shown on Monday (wasn't Nicholls excellent) its the bottom end of the team that may need tweaking not the top.

I think that is what was being suggested, not by myself though. But I did say in the winter that we should only have retained one of Harris or Nicholls. Just as fans shouldn't be going overboard with Harris for one bad meeting at Leicester we mustn't also get ahead of ourselves because Nicholls scored a maximum on Monday. 

As with reduced money from TV and the fixed racenights they're just small parts of the greater problem that the sport has got itself into over the years here. That in itself is a completely different can of worms to suggesting team changes for us, but I think we're in a position where we need to make Speedway a semi-professional sport and knock doubling up on the head. We shouldn't be letting riders have two teams just to earn a living. If the sport can't sustain it, which it clearly can't with riders "needing" to double up/down then it needs to be nipped in the bud. The standard/strength of teams may suffer short term but long term British Speedway and British Speedway fans will benefit. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

I think that is what was being suggested, not by myself though. But I did say in the winter that we should only have retained one of Harris or Nicholls. Just as fans shouldn't be going overboard with Harris for one bad meeting at Leicester we mustn't also get ahead of ourselves because Nicholls scored a maximum on Monday. 

As with reduced money from TV and the fixed racenights they're just small parts of the greater problem that the sport has got itself into over the years here. That in itself is a completely different can of worms to suggesting team changes for us, but I think we're in a position where we need to make Speedway a semi-professional sport and knock doubling up on the head. We shouldn't be letting riders have two teams just to earn a living. If the sport can't sustain it, which it clearly can't with riders "needing" to double up/down then it needs to be nipped in the bud. The standard/strength of teams may suffer short term but long term British Speedway and British Speedway fans will benefit. 

Hard to disagree on anything you said.

No doubling up, if riders want to be full time get out and promote the sport (do you see any rider going round the terraces during a meeting or attending schools and precincts during the week), are grasstrack riders fulltime?

Close racing is far more important than a "named" rider half a lap ahead so we don't need big names just riders that are associated with our club. A 9 point No 1 will be king pin with fans regardless of his overall standard. I don't remember Nicki Pedersen putting  2,000 on the gate at Eastbourne, Hancock at Reading and did the ex world champion pack the stands at Kings Lynn last year?

But the really sad part is I have so little faith in the BSPA that I even question why I waste my time bleating out the bleeding obvious.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2018 at 11:09 AM, Rayleigh said:

But the really sad part is I have so little faith in the BSPA that I even question why I waste my time bleating out the bleeding obvious.

Thank You Rayleigh. I need to read, mark, learn and inwardly digest that because I feel just the same.

Harris is shocking for Glasgow as well - not sure what's gone wrong there but it's hurting two teams - at Lynn last year he was absolutely brilliant.  Clegg in my view will never make the grade at Premiership level, Perks was much better.

• Like 1

With Poole away and Kings Lynn home being the remaining fixtures for May the averages will no doubt allow for some changes next month.

Change of team manager would be a good start. One of the basic requirements of a T/M is knowing when to put in a tac.sub. What's John Sampford up to these days?

Edited by poppetman

15 minutes ago, poppetman said:

Change of team manager would be a good start. One of the basic requirements of a T/M is knowing when to put in a tac.sub. What's John Sampford up to these days?

Unbelievable error tonight. Gobsmacked a t/r wasn’t used against us. Basic error!

13 minutes ago, poppetman said:

That meant removing Summers who had previously gained a 5-1 with Harris so I guess he deserved another ride.

Harris falling and Kennett’s woeful score cost the result in the scheme of things.

1 hour ago, GWC said:

That meant removing Summers who had previously gained a 5-1 with Harris so I guess he deserved another ride.

Harris falling and Kennett’s woeful score cost the result in the scheme of things.

Kennett has to go and Ricky Wells brought back asap before someone else signs him up. 

1 hour ago, GWC said:

What an earth are on on about.

Any sane team manager would have stuck a world class rider like KK in for Summers.

A losers attitude to not upset a rider by pulling him from a heat. So Schroeck would have cost his side a win if Harris would have stayed on his bike.

The guy is a very poor TM as is way to matey with the riders and is like a star struck fan afraid to upset anyone.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chris said:

What an earth are on on about.

Any sane team manager would have stuck a world class rider like KK in for Summers.

A losers attitude to not upset a rider by pulling him from a heat. So Schroeck would have cost his side a win if Harris would have stayed on his bike.

The guy is a very poor TM as is way to matey with the riders and is like a star struck fan afraid to upset anyone.

Looking at the scores i think Kennett cost you the match not your team manager.He should be doing better especially at a track where he has been good at.

8 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Looking at the scores i think Kennett cost you the match not your team manager.He should be doing better especially at a track where he has been good at.

Go and look at the scores again then. If Harris stays on his bike he would likely have cost his side a win.

Not the first time he has missed tactical changes/reserve swaps.

Kennett score irrelevant if he does his job as could still have won the meeting.

Edited by Chris

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

Go and look at the scores again then. If Harris stays on his bike he would likely have cost his side a win.

Not the first time he has missed tactical changes/reserve swaps.

Do you really think Harris scoring 12 has cost you the match.Yes he fell whilst on a 5-1 but c'mon Kennett 1 from 4 is terrible and if he had contributed 3 more points then the result would have been different.

Peter schroeck has not got a clue. Tactically inept. Kennett and to a lesser extent Clegg need to be replaced. Ricky wells would be top of my wish list, and if possible Ben Morley. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tellboy said:

If Harris hadn't fallen we'd have had a 5-1 in heat 13, that would have made it a draw. If KK had been used on a tactical ride it could well have won us the meeting even with Kennett disappointing. We should be out to win at all costs, if riders get hooked from their rides and don't understand why then they're not riders we want in the team. 

5 hours ago, Gazza66 said:

Peter schroeck has not got a clue. Tactically inept. Kennett and to a lesser extent Clegg need to be replaced. Ricky wells would be top of my wish list, and if possible Ben Morley. 

Not Morley. Same average as Nielsen roughly and half the rider. We can't keep going back to him when we need to make a change. 

• Like 1