British Speedway Forum

Positives: 

1) A point away from home 

2) KK, Nicholls & Harris all scored very well and carried the team 

Negatives: 

1) Heat 11- WHY WAS A TAC SUB NOT USED????? That should have been Nicholls/KK in yellow all day. Anyone with basic speedway knowledge should have seen that!

2)Heat 13- A man of Chris Harris' experience should not fall on a 5-1

3) Kennett, Clegg & Doolan scoring 3 between them is pathetic 

Poole were there for the taking this evening and once again we let points slip away.

2 points dropped not 1 point gained... 

You could have picked up all 4 points to be honest you had a 4 man team summers did his bit as well kk won from the gate but Scott and bomber attack the track my team was poor on there own track 

55 minutes ago, JamesM09 said:

Negatives: 

1) Heat 11- WHY WAS A TAC SUB NOT USED????? That should have been Nicholls/KK in yellow all day. Anyone with basic speedway knowledge should have seen that!

Summers was riding well, and didn't deserve to get taken out of his ride. He could have easily beaten Grajczonek, especially since 1 and 3 were working well. As it happens a 4-2 was the worst result as they couldn't use Nicholls in 12 either, which was being lined up I believe. I was half expecting Harris to slow up in 11, but didn't happen.

Yes it would have been nice to get a win at Poole of all places but this Rye team is not a realistic play off proposition.

2 hours ago, JamesM09 said:

Positives: 

Negatives: 

Poole were there for the taking this evening and once again we let points slip away.

Well said overall, although Clegg is so out of his depth it is embarrassing (I think he has beaten an opposing rider who finished the race once all season) I think Kennetts effort (not for the first time this season) deserved a separate section.

the only points I will add is Summers had yet to let the side down this season and not sure if Doolans crash in heat 2 had an impact on his evening.

I would not normally be this harsh but this season is really risky for the rockets, the budget on the heat leaders is very expensive (of which the management should receive credit for), feeble TV money, stupid fixed race nights and Lakeside with a very attractive team down the road, an underperforming team is exactly what the doctor would not prescribe.

Edited by Rayleigh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesM09 said:

Positives: 

Negatives: 

will try to give some answers to the negatives for those who were not actually there.

1. heat 11 - can not answer even the Poole fans around me had already put KK in the race (by not trying that there was no way we could win the meeting)

2. Sorry bomber was brilliant tonight he did not just fall he hit an enormous rut that had developed in the track - WELL DONE CHRIS you rode your heart out tonight I just wish more Rye fans were there to see you back on form (this just shows how one can not get the full story of a meeting from reading updates).

3. will not even try to answer that one - definitely 2 league points thrown away tonight

1 hour ago, MrMungo said:

Summers was riding well, and didn't deserve to get taken out of his ride. He could have easily beaten Grajczonek, especially since 1 and 3 were working well. As it happens a 4-2 was the worst result as they couldn't use Nicholls in 12 either, which was being lined up I believe. I was half expecting Harris to slow up in 11, but didn't happen.

These changes have to be made sometimes whether the rider being pulled out deserves it or not. If they're not and the chance passes by it can be costly as we found out last night. 

Summers is doing a job for us in fairness to him but if you've got the choice of him or Kasprzak in a heat (especially at Poole) then there's only one winner. 

sorry just noticed this quote how can anyone be thinking about heat 12 before 11 is run ?? - with the t/r rule the chance must be taken while it is there - yes very hard on Summers (perhaps he could be paid for the points he lost) BUT to deny KK an extra ride lost us the match (especially with the ominous heat 14 looming which nothing much could be done about).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, startline sid said:

sorry just noticed this quote how can anyone be thinking about heat 12 before 11 is run ?? - with the t/r rule the chance must be taken while it is there - yes very hard on Summers (perhaps he could be paid for the points he lost) BUT to deny KK an extra ride lost us the match (especially with the ominous heat 14 looming which nothing much could be done about).

How did it lose you the match? Rye House had a 4-2 in that heat. Even if they'd scored a 5-1, they would still have lost.

Plus KK had just been 5-1'd in the previous heat. Plus it would have meant giving him 3 on the trot.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

These changes have to be made sometimes whether the rider being pulled out deserves it or not. If they're not and the chance passes by it can be costly as we found out last night. 

Summers is doing a job for us in fairness to him but if you've got the choice of him or Kasprzak in a heat (especially at Poole) then there's only one winner. 

The reason Rye lost is not because of heat 11. I can understand the frustrations, but since Summers beat Grajczonek earlier on in the meeting, there was no reason to think it couldn't happen again.

The reason Rye lost is not because of heat 11. I can understand the frustrations, but since Summers beat Grajczonek earlier on in the meeting, there was no reason to think it couldn't happen again.

Oh definitely not, we know full well "what ifs" are pointless and do even themselves out over time. For me it's more frustration that the team manager should be making the changes that give us the best chance of securing a result and KK for Summers was a logical change to make in that respect. In his time at the helm Shroeck has made some big mistakes so far, ones that John Sampford wouldn't have. 

Just now, Ben91 said:

Oh definitely not, we know full well "what ifs" are pointless and do even themselves out over time. For me it's more frustration that the team manager should be making the changes that give us the best chance of securing a result and KK for Summers was a logical change to make in that respect. In his time at the helm Shroeck has made some big mistakes so far, ones that John Sampford wouldn't have. 

Whilst not mentioned so far, the one thing that has struck me, is how Rye don't swap the reserves around. I don't know whether it would make any difference, of course, but generally giving the stronger reserve the slightly easier ride in heat 8 is par for the course when you have a reserve who is finding it tough.

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

How did it lose you the match? Rye House had a 4-2 in that heat. Even if they'd scored a 5-1, they would still have lost.

Plus KK had just been 5-1'd in the previous heat. Plus it would have meant giving him 3 on the trot.

3 on the trot or not giving him at extra ride ? - a no brainer to me - or course we would have still lost the meeting (but NOT if bomber hadn't hit the rut and fell) but by not using KK for extra ride when we could there was then NO chance of winning (especially when you consider the line up in heat 14)

18 minutes ago, MrMungo said:

Whilst not mentioned so far, the one thing that has struck me, is how Rye don't swap the reserves around. I don't know whether it would make any difference, of course, but generally giving the stronger reserve the slightly easier ride in heat 8 is par for the course when you have a reserve who is finding it tough.

Agreed. For a rider such as Clegg having two rides with Nicholls as his partner who will try to team ride if he can wouldn't be a bad thing either as opposed to a different partner each time he races. Plus the stronger reserve gets heat 8 as you say. 

Team order can be very important, Sundstrom looks as if he's riding himself into a little bit of form since he's moved to number two for Poole, I'm surprised we've not been using Kennett at number two, particularly at home where he is capable of, and should be, scoring like a heat leader. 

Strange how at the beginning of the season everyone was saying that Clegg was on a force average, should have been over 3 instead of his 2, now we would be glad if he could score that 2 average.