British Speedway Forum

Well done Peter Schroeck for getting in Matej Kus, he is a very decent young man who could be a great signing on a very low average.

8 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

Well done Peter Schroeck for getting in Matej Kus, he is a very decent young man who could be a great signing on a very low average.

Where has this been announced?

7 hours ago, KevH said:

Where has this been announced?

He is guesting at Swindon so it would seem an audition because the average fits to replace Max Nick Clegg.

1 hour ago, Rayleigh said:

He is guesting at Swindon so it would seem an audition because the average fits to replace Max Nick Clegg.

We can only hope you are correct! Better still, that the deal has already been agreed. (I'm going to look a right mug tomorrow night when Clegg outscores Kus)

43 minutes ago, White City Rebel said:

We can only hope you are correct! Better still, that the deal has already been agreed. (I'm going to look a right mug tomorrow night when Clegg outscores Kus)

I presume Kus is riding at KL on Monday as well, but me too will look a mug if Nick outscores Kus over the two meetings, but I very much doubt it (after all its hard to get less than zero)

18 hours ago, phillipsr said:

Team looks awful after that re declaration.. full of riders on there way down or not good enough.. At least Poole wont finish bottom now 

Thanks for that splendid accolade!

Losing Kennett has probably seen off Rye’s season now especially at home.

Roll on next season when we hopefully will be back in the Championship.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GWC said:

Thanks for that splendid accolade!

Losing Kennett has probably seen off Rye’s season now especially at home.

Roll on next season when we hopefully will be back in the Championship.

Don't rule out this season we are only one point of the play offs.

But I understand your message, the real problem is the performances have been very underwhelming so far (we are lucky that a couple of home wins could easily have been losses then we really would have been in the smelly stuff this season) we do need to make inroads away from home, just wracking up home wins is not good enough. Forget Swindon which is damage limitation but it needs to start at KL on Monday.

• Like 1

RIP Kelvin Mullarkey - saw him from a real rough diamond to become one of the best team men in speedway. Loyal to the end.

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, GWC said:

RIP Kelvin Mullarkey - saw him from a real rough diamond to become one of the best team men in speedway. Loyal to the end.

Great call.

To quote Tina Turner    Simply the Best

A world without Mudlark? No thanks. The first rider to show a desire and commitment to the Rockets, apart from Brian  Foote. What an inspiration! 

This kid turned up from Lynn and the back of his helmet long before Silver and Crane had resolved 

their latest spat "Rye House Rockets

SUPER, SUPER, SUPER KELV! 

With respect to the many talented and brave riders who have ever pulled on a Rye race jacket,  for me, Mullarkey, Fiala, Garrad and Hubbard WERE Rye House, (Those team leathers)! .. and what a team, all our own boys week in week out! No guests, no foreigners,- all who came to the ‘house’ were put to the sword! Joe Owen, John Jackson, Dave Perks and Tom Owen, all the league’s ‘big beasts’ could not live with our happy bunch... ah yes, that was a team, THE team!... all for one and one for all! ...And Kelvin was an integral part of that. 

But two things later on in his Rye career stand out for me, In 1989, when Ronnie Russell’s team were up against it,  he answered the call to cover for injuries, despite having not ridden for three or four years,- and came straight back into the team  Ah! Those infadex leathers, those wide handlebars and that trademark style, - partnered at number two with Mel Taylor his first match was at home against Poole?  despite a fall in one heat he finished that comeback match with a score of 8+1 (I think?) from five rides, but in his second ride he over took one of the Poole superstars (Craig Boyce?) to win the heat, as he crossed the line the guy behind me on the terrace threw down his programme and said “ Well, I’m not worried about the result if he (Kelvin) can still do things like that”!!! He finished the year with a very healthy near six point average and showed many flashes of his old self! 

Next year he was not used again but, as our regular luck would have it the team suffered with injuries once again and back he came, this time in an unfamiliar set of plain black leathers but still with the open face helmet and the monkey mask, but time and equipment had moved on and that year Kelvin did find things tough and struggled at reserve scoring twos and threes. BUT, one wet Wednesday evening we (Rye) pulled off a shock win 49-47 AT Wimbledon’s plough lane track. For those of us who were there the match was exciting due to the closeness of the score rather than the racing, Kelvin contributed his normal two or three pints from reserve but in a result like that, every point counts and, meeting him in the alley which doubled up as the pits at plough lane straight after the match his first words to me were “ we’ve never won here before!!” Beaming from ear to ear his two point total was not a problem because the Rye House team had won the match! 

What a team man, what loyalty! 

Kelvin, for you, Hero is too small a word! 

Steve Ribbons. 

• Like 2

Very sad news, so many fantastic memories from that golden era at Hoddesdon with Kelvin in the forefront of most! One that stands out for me was a second half final at Rye and Kelvin and a young Andrew Silver were in the race. Kelvin gated and rode every inch of the track to keep the much faster Silver behind him, on a bike that was popping and spluttering away! It was as if he had wing mirrors and he had this ability to control a race, holding the white line and moving at what looked like walking pace. The young Silver was not best pleased after the race but he had learnt a lesson in trackcraft!

But Kelvin was a very good NL rider as well, boasting 9+ point averages in the days that the National Leagues was exceptionally tough, featuring riders of the the ability and standing that Steve mentions above and leading a young, precocious group of mainly home grown talent to the top of the league.

Rye House and speedway have lost a true legend, easy to say but in this case fully warranted.

RIP Kelvin and thanks for the memories.

• Like 1

Cannot let Kelvin's passing go without lifting my hat to his memory. One of Speedway's Great Characters as well as being the best

team man in the whole of the sport. If only we could turn the clock back ! 

On 6/12/2018 at 11:55 PM, Rayleigh said:

I've just remembered foreign riders come in on a minimum 4.00 ave so Kus can't replace Clegg & keep the Rockets under the 42.5 limit!

On 6/8/2018 at 9:43 PM, Rayleigh said:

Message for Peter Schroeck

Please sign Matej Kus for No 7 (ave about 3.50) tonight at Scunthorpe he beat Auty, Garrity, Morris Howarth and Kurtz (cant see Clegg doing that)

Minimum ave for foreigners is 4.00, which I just remembered as I thought Kus would be a good signing as well!