British Speedway Forum

With the mx track now in the middle at Rye House, is the speedway track still FIM licensed?

17 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

You can't have riders constantly going missing for more lucrative paydays elsewhere. Obviously foreign riders have domestic commitments that must be honoured but right now the feeling  too easily seen is "Well, if the riders can';t be bothered to be here then why should i?"

I suspect that that is a powerful, often heard/felt feeling which is a major part of the decline of UK speedway. It has been for me.

17 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

You can't have riders constantly going missing for more lucrative paydays elsewhere. Obviously foreign riders have domestic commitments that must be honoured but right now the feeling  too easily seen is "Well, if the riders can';t be bothered to be here then why should i?"

I suspect that that is a powerful, often heard/felt feeling which is a major part of the decline of UK speedway. It has been for me. And I know for a number of others too.

Edited by waytogo28
Additional point made

One of the absurdities of the current system is that Rye House and Lakeside, natural rivals, have so rarely raced each other for many years. Those lost derbies could have made a heck of a lot to the finances of the track over the years. Neither track really belongs in the top flight. They should be racing each other.

Imagine a fixture list including the Rockets racing Lakeside, Ipswich, King's Lynn, Peterborough, Kent and Eastbourne, before you even look further afield. It'll never happen,.........but just imagine....

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

One of the absurdities of the current system is that Rye House and Lakeside, natural rivals, have so rarely raced each other for many years. Those lost derbies could have made a heck of a lot to the finances of the track over the years. Neither track really belongs in the top flight. They should be racing each other.

Imagine a fixture list including the Rockets racing Lakeside, Ipswich, King's Lynn, Peterborough, Kent and Eastbourne, before you even look further afield. It'll never happen,.........but just imagine....

You are spot on here. When I lived in Norfolk my Dad used to take me to watch Kings Lynn (the knights as they were then) and the meetings against Peterborough and Ipswich were always the best to go to. BV have to make do with Wolves but it would be nice to have a team like Sheffield for example to match up against.

14 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I would love to see a return to One Big League (I even like that as a title for it!). A full and varied league fixture list - maybe a knockout cup regionalised in it's early stages - maybe a four-legged 4 team tournament with your 3 nearest local rivals...as you say, Rob, just imagine...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Great to hear from you Rob,

Can I add to your list above with the name Mouldyhall Fen Tigers

One big league with four man team plus reserve and run on the same lines as the old 4TT qualifiers?

Edited by poppetman
  • Confused 1

My views - One main league of 18/20 teams plus a junior/national league for up and coming riders. Meet each team over 2 legs home and away that will produce more local derbys that fans like to see and give us more chance of attending away fixtures. A Knock out Cup where matches are drawn from a hat up to the final that way Rye wont get Swindon every year. That should make the season from about Easter to September with home meetings probably every week. Let the promoters pick their home race night obviously with alternatives/bank holidays when needed as different areas have different needs. Reduce the gate fee to £10 which hopefully will bring more fans thereby compensating for any loss.  As for rider shortage I'll leave someone else to sort that out ☺

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, White City Rebel said:

I would love to see a return to One Big League (I even like that as a title for it!). A full and varied league fixture list - maybe a knockout cup regionalised in it's early stages - maybe a four-legged 4 team tournament with your 3 nearest local rivals...as you say, Rob, just imagine...

That's sounds good to me .

One league with riders who want to ride in GB,with race night to suit clubs involved,the standard may drop but it is the way forward for to bring in new fans which the sport desperately needs.Present days fans are watching old journeymen riders going through the motions in Pl AndCl,I'm sure the NL is more interesting these days.

• Like 1

No one league please!! There just aren’t enough riders to fill all teams so it’s not going to happen. Thank god.

3 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

No one league please!! There just aren’t enough riders to fill all teams so it’s not going to happen. Thank god.

There will be several clubs not running very soon, so less riders needed. Sad but true.

2 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

There will be several clubs not running very soon, so less riders needed. Sad but true.

Clubs have struggled for years. Nothing new. Most come back to the tapes yearly.

several clubs have made public their concerns in recent years. Peterborough, Workington, Berwick, Buxton just to name a few. Guess what, they are all still racing. I’m sure there are genuine concerns on crowd attendance. Every track wants more support through the turnstiles.

2 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Clubs have struggled for years. Nothing new. Most come back to the tapes yearly.

several clubs have made public their concerns in recent years. Peterborough, Workington, Berwick, Buxton just to name a few. Guess what, they are all still racing. I’m sure there are genuine concerns on crowd attendance. Every track wants more support through the turnstiles.

I agree with you to some extent but, the list of defunct clubs is extensive.