British Speedway Forum

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, it’s a £10 sport. 

A family of 4 at Swindon would have to pay £44 and let’s say £6 on 2 programmes. £50!!!!!! and that’s before food and drink. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can only hope something can be arranged so Rye House can complete their fixtures in 2018 on an evening when their fan base will be present.

What a great post Steve 

Have to agree wholeheartedly. 

Extract from Chunk'y post;

"Now, the fans...  Yes, the fans believe they know everything, but it is incredible how many THINK that they have a solution, yet don't even consider the practicality and viability of their ideas.  In many cases, they don't look at the big picture, just what suits THEM, or THEIR TEAM.  Sometimes - a lot of the time, actually - a seemingly nonsensical idea is dismissed when the reality is that discussion of the basic idea can actually be fruitful"

This para identifies where many Promoters come from, the terraces.  They jump into shark infested waters and get hacked to pieces, when it comes to logic and voting at the BSPA self interest rules regardless of the price some clubs may pay. Win at all costs has never been more prevalent and has ruined opportunities to put together a survival strategy for the sport so anyone who is fresh into Promoting Speedway with half an idea gets buried before they open their mouth. Just ask JC, not everyone's cup of tea but some great ideas totally rejected because of who he was not because they were unworkable and he wasn't the only one tossed aside by the members.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jchapman said:

I feared a few clubs would hit the wall this season after seeing the outcome of the AGM.

When I was in 'the club' I was always amazed at the amount of ideas coming from promoters which increased costs and when ever I had an idea that increased revenue they would turn their nose up.

Seems the boat has now sailed and nothing but a complete reset will fix the mess the sport is now in. 

When the whole lot collapses I may put a plan together for a few clubs to break away and start a new league based around British riders on club supplied equipment with standard engines.

Numbers drawn out of a hat for who rides what bike before the start of a race with team selections made after practice.

From there the sport can grow again.

Got to be the ONLY way to a brighter UK speedway future. If JC can get some financial backing, this could be the blueprint for the continued existence of speedway here on a viable footing.

• Like 1

I have visited Rye House 3 times this year as a neutral supporter here are my findings

1- everyone is friendly and welcoming 

2- everyone welcome in the pits to a certain time

3-not bad Facilties 

4- racing at times is first from the traps wins

5- very long drawn out meetings with me paying my money and seeing tractors for longer on the track , rather than 4 bikes 

6 - crowds no bigger then my local track Scunthorpe but I’m sure with a lot more expenses to be paid out

Moving forward Speedway has lost its identity with the set race nights also due to  lack of fixtures . People like continuity and were some clubs ride at home one week and there next home fixture is in 3 weeks is not good enough,people especially families will find something else to do .

Why if the tv company wants to show live speedway is the clubs not getting compensated for loss of revenue 

In a sport when I hear from riders and promoters costs are spiralling, let’s do something about this and bring in a semi standard machine etc , supporters prefer to see good close races were skill and team riding comes in to play rather than a gater winning by over half a lap

Im just a supporter I don’t know the costs etc and the full facts but what I do know the product we have now is not working. So please the BSPA at the next meeting look after the best interests of British Speedway for the future of our sport in our country . If we lose some riders so be it and also the deal and rule changes what are needed to save our sport have to be in the best interests of all clubs and not the selective few 

Rant over and one last comment I hope Rye House can be saved and are back racing soon

• Like 1

Every Year, We seem to have a new reason for the demise of Speedway.  This year its FRN.  Sometimes it is worth standing back from the Sport and looking at it from the outside.   This is 2018,  Speedway in its present form in the UK has long had its day.   You can only paper over cracks for so long.

Maybe People should look very closely at Poland.  Why do the Poles flock to Speedway  and the British treat the Sport with distain ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, semion said:

Every Year, We seem to have a new reason for the demise of Speedway.  This year its FRN.  Sometimes it is worth standing back from the Sport and looking at it from the outside.   This is 2018,  Speedway in its present form in the UK has long had its day.   You can only paper over cracks for so long.

Maybe People should look very closely at Poland.  Why do the Poles flock to Speedway  and the British treat the Sport with distain ?

Different people to us, the crowds came before the stadiums and the stars, but they have capitalised on their situation. Government money? Allsorts

I get all of that CH, but it is all about the experience.  You look at their stadiums, they are fit for purposes.  You look at our so called Stadiums.  Rag bag run down krap holes.    People today demand better. 

There has been mention there are no rumours of riders not being paid, may not be rumours but think that is mainy cos everyone at this stage is saying nothing that will make the situation worse, would not be surprised if the situation is not resolved favourably then we might find that riders are owed money.

22 minutes ago, semion said:

ONE of the major factors why speedway is so popular in certain areas of Poland, certainly not all, is that the big clubs are in towns where speedway is the major attraction, an integral part of the community, clubs (as in soccer) rather than just businesses. It is high profile in the media, raced on big, fast tracks, good and in some cases fantastic stadiums, the top riders, weekend racing, etc, etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Argos said:

It’s odd that there’s been no rumours that Rye riders have not been payed 

They haven't been paid apparently. I've heard this a few times throughout season. 

FRN have ruined the likes of rye house and belle vue. Weekdays just don't work for us. 

You can't have FRN and then just weaken the league. Was never going to work. Ridiculous and I hope the BSPA are ashamed of themselves. To many people against each other rather than helping each other 

Edited by Phil The Ace
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

And may I add it's not a £10 sport and won't ever will be till riders drop there demands. 

It should be £13-15 sport

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

They haven't been paid apparently. I've heard this a few times throughout season. 

FRN have ruined the likes of the house and belle vue. Weekdays just don't work for us. 

You can't have FRN and then just weaken the league. Was never going to work. Ridiculous and I hope the BSPA are ashamed of themselves. To many people against each other rather than helping each other 

See that is where my respect for the club goes out the window, if they know there in the poo pay the riders and fold the club don't leave it till you have no choice but to fold and not pay the riders.