British Speedway Forum

4 minutes ago, Orbiter said:

See that is where my respect for the club goes out the window, if they know there in the poo pay the riders and fold the club don't leave it till you have no choice but to fold and not pay the riders.

They wont be the only club behind in payments. Many more are to. Belle vue have history of not paying riders. (Ex promotion may I add)

At least workington had the gonads to go in the press with there money worries and not paying riders. It stops rumours. 

But when has a promotion or BSPA ever told the truth. They are not about to start now 

• Like 2

So many doors where blame can be laid.

Go back to the 70's where Speedway was being played out in krap hole stadiums to big crowds every night of the week, plus Sundays.  Where did all that cash go ?  Certainly wasn't invested into the future of British Speedway.   No foresight then, more lets line our own pockets and "$%^ the future.  

Feel Sorry for the fans of Rye, but if it wasn't Rye it would have been another Club.  The whole thing could now implode.   Maybe that's what needs to happen,

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

They haven't been paid apparently. I've heard this a few times throughout season. 

FRN have ruined the likes of rye house and belle vue. Weekdays just don't work for us. 

You can't have FRN and then just weaken the league. Was never going to work. Ridiculous and I hope the BSPA are ashamed of themselves. To many people against each other rather than helping each other 

Belle Vue will be ruined by spending so much on a stadium that wont ever pay itself off. People praise the people who built it but whos money did they use??

the sport is sadly on its anus in  UK, cant see any way out of it unfortunately.

43 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

And may I add it's not a £10 sport and won't ever will be till riders drop there demands. 

It should be £13-15 sport

THE only way riders will drop their "demands" is if the sport is made cheaper for them to compete in. And that is certainly possible, at least as far as league racing is concerned. If some of the rumours about the guaranteed money Rye House offered its riders are even remotely true then it is no surprise that the speedway is not viable at Hoddesdon. And they are not the only ones. 

14 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Belle Vue will be ruined by spending so much on a stadium that wont ever pay itself off. People praise the people who built it but whos money did they use??

the sport is sadly on its anus in  UK, cant see any way out of it unfortunately.

Manchester City Council (MCC) were and still are supportive of the project. They in turn used revenue from the sale of land to Manchester City FC for their training complex. Hopefully a joint venture between MCC and the current promoters, boosted by the staging of major events at the NSS, will help to ensure its future but, of course, there are no guarantees. 

37 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

They wont be the only club behind in payments. Many more are to. Belle vue have history of not paying riders. (Ex promotion may I add)

At least workington had the gonads to go in the press with there money worries and not paying riders. It stops rumours. 

But when has a promotion or BSPA ever told the truth. They are not about to start now 

That I have respect for at least everything is out in the open and stops speculation.

Yeah I have heard all about other clubs owing money to riders and think its a bloody disgrace.

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE only way riders will drop their "demands" is if the sport is made cheaper for them to compete in. And that is certainly possible, at least as far as league racing is concerned. If some of the rumours about the guaranteed money Rye House offered its riders are even remotely true then it is no surprise that the speedway is not viable at Hoddesdon. And they are not the only ones. 

I can see the Premiership is on the vrege of collapse- if BT stick with  the minimum 8 team league and Rye do pull the plug will BT pull out of the TV deal -then what will happen to the league. 

18 minutes ago, Pinny said:

It was Manchester City Council that stumped up the money to build the stadium and for multiple use (so ratepayers money was used). That's why BV speedway had no control over the contractors when the mess on the 3rd and 4th turn happened.    BV pay rent for the speedway.   If I not correct some one more in the know will put me right, no problem

34 minutes ago, semion said:

So many doors where blame can be laid.

Go back to the 70's where Speedway was being played out in krap hole stadiums to big crowds every night of the week, plus Sundays.  Where did all that cash go ?  Certainly wasn't invested into the future of British Speedway.   No foresight then, more lets line our own pockets and "$%^ the future.  

Feel Sorry for the fans of Rye, but if it wasn't Rye it would have been another Club.  The whole thing could now implode.   Maybe that's what needs to happen,

THE story goes that the only reason one promoter in the 70s had a Rolls Royce was because it was the only car with a boot big enough to stuff all the cash he was taking on race nights at the stadium, which he only rented. No investment there.

10 minutes ago, Haza said:

I can see the Premiership is on the vrege of collapse- if BT stick with  the minimum 8 team league and Rye do pull the plug will BT pull out of the TV deal -then what will happen to the league. 

ONE league (combined PL/CL) momentum is gathering strength ... no 'star' names which to many will be viewed as a watered down product.

Talking of car boots and cash,  I well remember that happening at Kings Lynn back in the day.  You just couldn't write it.

Phil, as you appear to be all over this story.  I guess we can expect a few pages devoted to it next Thursday ?   Be good to hear from all sides.  Riders, Fans, promotion and of course the BSPA.  Just hope its a warts an all piece rather than a sugar coated, watered down version. 

Lets get in out in the open so the fans ( readers)  can see the true state of British Speedway.   That's the challenge Phillip, are you up for it ?  Should boast the readership ( well for one week anyway)

I wonder if there are some backdoor negotiations going on as the BSPA or Rye House have made no formal acknowledgement. I have no inside information but even for the BSPA I am surprised we have not had the normal statement "it is with regret that Rye House have withdrawn/suspended from the Premiership"

A change of name from 'speedway' wouldn't do any harm.  The majority of people who even understand the word put it in a similar category to cock fighting.

This, by the way, is utter tosh: "Numbers drawn out of a hat for who rides what bike before the start of a race with team selections made after practice." Riders give up the ghost half the time when they're on a bike that suits them!

14 minutes ago, semion said:

Talking of car boots and cash,  I well remember that happening at Kings Lynn back in the day.  You just couldn't write it.

Yes and poor old Bill Barker had it all stolen from his house didn’t he !!