British Speedway Forum

2 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

I wonder if there are some backdoor negotiations going on as the BSPA or Rye House have made no formal acknowledgement. I have no inside information but even for the BSPA I am surprised we have not had the normal statement "it is with regret that Rye House have withdrawn/suspended from the Premiership"

The fact that Rye House have pulled the plug  is so far based on rumour. If true, and it may well be that they have approached the BSPA with their intention , I suspect there are ongoing moves behind the scenes to come up with a rescue package that will at least enable them to finish the season. 

13 minutes ago, semion said:

Phil, as you appear to be all over this story.  I guess we can expect a few pages devoted to it next Thursday ?  

Speedway Star and hard hitting investigative journalism??? Are you kidding? You may see something, if there's a BSPA press release that can be copied and pasted, but so far, not even the BSPA's web site is acknowleging a situation at Rye House even exists.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tigerjak said:

With regards to the way forward I cannot understand why UK speedway has not gone down a conference style system like the NFL

I posted earlier in this thread somewhere how you could setup a conference system similar to how the NFL is based and it would totally work. I also like the idea suggested of having club owned bikes. With the setups that riders have and the amount of travelling they do I can't figure out how they are making money, especially if they have bikes in both the UK and on the continent. I am not a huge fan of a level playing field in other forms of Motorsport but it would totally work in speedway - averages would mean something as we would really know who the best riders were. The only problem is that the initial investment to set this up would probably stop this ever happening and it would be difficult to stop teams getting an advantage and making it best equipment wins. That would require a level of scrutiny that we know that the BSPA would not be capable of overseeing. 

as all is so quiet then all I can think unless ryes promotion are that dense

it must be some sort of legal matter again and  nothing can be said untill

the old fart behind the courts says so. heard some unsavoury rumours

but as everything on here it is a rumour.

hope all sorted soon as if I was a rye season ticket holder I would be spitting feathers by now.

10 minutes ago, Aces High said:

I posted earlier in this thread somewhere how you could setup a conference system similar to how the NFL is based and it would totally work. I also like the idea suggested of having club owned bikes. With the setups that riders have and the amount of travelling they do I can't figure out how they are making money, especially if they have bikes in both the UK and on the continent. I am not a huge fan of a level playing field in other forms of Motorsport but it would totally work in speedway - averages would mean something as we would really know who the best riders were. The only problem is that the initial investment to set this up would probably stop this ever happening and it would be difficult to stop teams getting an advantage and making it best equipment wins. That would require a level of scrutiny that we know that the BSPA would not be capable of overseeing. 

Totally agree with you re conference system. It always amazes me how the regular baseball season consists of 162 games, and there is still interest as to reaching the play-offs right up to the last game.

26 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Yes and poor old Bill Barker had it all stolen from his house didn’t he !!

Course he did :D

21 minutes ago, Aces High said:

I wondered about teams signing anyone that they like/can afford and a handicap given, so team A has a current average of 45 and team B has an average of 35, so team B get ten points start. No tac subs and no guests, you could use an NL rider for someone missing and your average would be adjusted accordingly.

From a highly reliable source at Poole last night Rye House are 'on the brink'  but the last thing the BSPA want is to lose a club. However they want Rye to see out their remaining 2018 fixtures but refuse to let them run on a Saturday. Any ongoing 'stand-off' may well favour Rye's attempts to switch to Saturday for home meetings as the longer the impasse goes on the fewer Mons/Weds will be available

Also the riders are not prepared to ride more races without some payment (or guarantee of payment from someone they trust?!). The BSPA will not fund that!!

Sad times.

from the moment frn were voted in i could see the damage it would do , fans are used to there race nights, the atmosphere is different on another night , people have plans on other nights

its ridiculous now to think the bspa even put this on the table ....just to appease some riders .......

imo we should go back to fri and sat race nights ignore the gp riders , start from the bottom and work up , if we can one day get the money back into british speedway the top riders will all come back

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

ONE league (combined PL/CL) momentum is gathering strength ... no 'star' names which to many will be viewed as a watered down product.

It is a watered down product with out doubt  but we are fast approaching the realms of watered down one big league one option or we carry on as we are and many tracks will go out of business so the choice is watered down to one big league with hopefully all clubs surviving or we carry on and see many closures ? I’d like to think it would be two steps back 5 steps forward over the next few years speedway in the UK is living beyond its means and it’s time to realise this before it’s too late 

• Like 5

Thats what i heard to. They asked to run saturday but BSPA refused. Why refuse. We need to keep the clubs going. And whatever people thought of the guests and R/R crowds were much larger cos they rode on there preferred race night 

2 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

Moving forward Speedway has lost its identity with the set race nights also due to  lack of fixtures . People like continuity and were some clubs ride at home one week and there next home fixture is in 3 weeks is not good enough,people especially families will find something else to do .

I think the lack of regular fixtures is HUGELY important. Currently, each Premiership team has around 15 home meetings scheduled each season (+ two or three more if you happen to make the playoffs or KOC).

It's no surprise, therefore, that riders want/need to double up/down. And no surprise that fans give up when there's nothing regular any more, no weekly habit to get into.

I mean, if you've got a shop, but you only open for one night every two or three weeks from April to September, can you really expect to stand a chance of making much money?

Forty years ago you'd have 35 home meetings a year, 21 heats each meeting (13 for the match + 8 second half), meaning a dedicated fan could see 735 races a year at their local track.

Nowadays with 15 home meetings and 15 heats per meeting, that's a total of only 225 races a year. Massive difference.

In terms of giving speedway fans what they want, surely at the top of the list is the opportunity to regularly see some actual racing?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Thats what i heard to. They asked to run saturday but BSPA refused. Why refuse. We need to keep the clubs going. And whatever people thought of the guests and R/R crowds were much larger cos they rode on there preferred race night 

Good last point

Can't see why there should be a problem with allowing Rye House to finish the season with meetings on Saturday's if that is what's required to keep them going. Only Berwick race regularly then in the Championship and there are very few GP riders here so it shouldn't be hard to schedule the remaining fixtures so that full teams are riding.

• Like 2