British Speedway Forum

12 minutes ago, DunRobin said:

Thursday was the original fixed night agreed with the FIM. It was only changed to Wednesday because of some Championship club failing to agree. They should have stuck to their guns & forced it through. By switching to the Wednesday night, t has caused problems for any club that has Danish riders.

There is no solution that suits everyone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Yes and poor old Bill Barker had it all stolen from his house didn’t he !!

So the story goes.... the real culprit was never prosecuted. "The money was left in a bag on the patio because it was a hot day" Bill later said.

Edited by waytogo28
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

We'll get into a situation where Rye House moves to a Saturday but the away clubs refuse to reschedule the fixtures. Same if Belle Vue go Friday's, clubs will refuse to move their original dates.

With Denmark, Poland and SEC, GP practice running Friday's, Poland, SEC, SGP Saturday's a change to the calendar now is pretty much a no go.

....and there is the ultimate problem with Speedway. All in it for their own personal gains!

4 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

So the story goes.... the real culprit was never prosecuted.

"culprit". I know someone who "loses" something every time they go on holiday. They never find the cuprit for that either

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, chunky said:

I still don't understand all the "experts" on here who claim to have THE solution to British speedway's problems.  There is no SINGLE cause, and there is no SINGLE solution.

As far as fans wanting a fixed race night - which again, they wanted largely because it suited THEM - I was always against the idea.  My main concerns were that :

1) The lost revenue because of the large number of fans who travelled as neutrals to meetings several times a week.
2) Because of the majority of clubs not owning their own stadium, it was always going to be difficult for some to fall in line.
3) The switch from being a weekend track to a midweek one was ALWAYS going to be a financial disaster for certain clubs.

Again, the post above suggesting that speedway is a "£10 sport" is way off the mark.  I - and others - have repeatedly stated that, while the cost MAY be prohibitive for some (particularly those with families), that is a relatively minor issue.  The REAL issue here is the quality of product, and yes, that does include the value for money.  The thing to remember is that IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW CHEAP A PRODUCT IS, IF THE PRODUCT ISN'T GOOD PEOPLE WON'T GO!.  The comments posted on other threads reiterate the facts about tracks opening the season with a meeting free of charge; very few - if any - new fans would return the following week, EVEN IF IT WAS FREE.

It hurts me to see Rye folding, as it was one of those tracks I would often visit as a neutral.  As has been mentioned, moving away from Sunday was never going to solve anything.

As was said elsewhere, speedway doesn't seem to catch the imagination of the British public these days, and nobody seems to be able to come up with a solution for that.  Don't worry, I have no idea either...

The thing is, everybody wants to blame everybody else, but then, lack of accountability is commonplace these days.  Of course, the authorities have a lot to answer for, and the promoters themselves must shoulder a lot of the blame.  Not that I have any personal knowledge, but to see that so many promoters seem to think "everything is rosy" is astounding.  I do feel for them as most are gambling with their own money, but that should be more incentive for them to get their houses in order.

The riders too could help.  Yes, they DO deserve good pay, but I am tired of hearing how they "put their lives on the line for OUR benefit".  It is their chosen job, and I understand why they ride abroad to make more money, and NOBODY should criticise them for wanting to do the best for themselves and their families.  However, as is frequently stated, it seems like every rider - however mediocre - seems to believe that they have the "right" to be a full-time speedway rider.  If the money is physically not there, then don't expect to get everything you want!  If you need to get another job, oh well...

Now, the fans...  Yes, the fans believe they know everything, but it is incredible how many THINK that they have a solution, yet don't even consider the practicality and viability of their ideas.  In many cases, they don't look at the big picture, just what suits THEM, or THEIR TEAM.  Sometimes - a lot of the time, actually - a seemingly nonsensical idea is dismissed when the reality is that discussion of the basic idea can actually be fruitful.

I am heavily involved in sports administration, and I am used to hearing crazy stuff that the so-called experts demand.  However, I study the overall concept, and see if it can actually be modified in order to improve matters.  The problem with British speedway is that nobody - fans, riders, or authorities - are willing to engage in sensible discussion.  Everything - as is often seen on the BSF - just descends into totally useless dismissal, accusations and name-calling.

I love the sport, and I hate to see what is happening...

Steve

What a shame there are not more level headed, eloquent people like yourself on these forums. Well written and unlike most of the garbage written on here a good read. Thank you.

20 minutes ago, Aroundtheboards said:

What a shame there are not more level headed, eloquent people like yourself on these forums. Well written and unlike most of the garbage written on here a good read. Thank you.

Like yourself no doubt:rolleyes:.It is a forum and everybody is entitled to an opinion.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ruckerroo said:

ryes inept management never thought about the racenight change, they cant have unless they did it too appease a few other promoters to get the bt deal, its left em completely in the khazi whatever

As a new promotion did they even get a vote?

32 minutes ago, ch958 said:

"culprit". I know someone who "loses" something every time they go on holiday. They never find the cuprit for that either

That's amazing.... I think I Know his Brother :D

10 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Like yourself no doubt:rolleyes:.It is a forum and everybody is entitled to an opinion.

Edited by junior fan

1 hour ago, DunRobin said:

Thursday was the original fixed night agreed with the FIM. It was only changed to Wednesday because of some Championship club failing to agree. They should have stuck to their guns & forced it through. By switching to the Wednesday night, t has caused problems for any club that has Danish riders.

Surely Redcar Ipswich and Sheffield would be in the same position that rye house are now in. Why is it ok to possibly kill three tracks just to prop up the premiership?? 

• Like 4

They should have stuck to their guns & forced it through. By switching to the Wednesday night, t has caused problems for any club that has Danish riders.

Clubs knew they would be riding home meetings on Wednesdays before they put together their lineups. They shouldn't have been signing Danish riders!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vince said:

As a new promotion did they even get a vote?

Well Belle Vue didn't and we get to "enjoy" Monday nights as a consequence. What I do know, unless my eyes deceive me, is that crowds are down. Maybe they will improve during the school holidays when the next generation of prospective fans will be allowed to go, as there will be no school in the morning.

3 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Surely Redcar Ipswich and Sheffield would be in the same position that rye house are now in. Why is it ok to possibly kill three tracks just to prop up the premiership?? 

Too right. Sheffield and Ipswich have been running on Thursdays since the 1960's. Redcar (Middlesbrough, teesside) have also had long spells of thursday racing.

• Like 2

Obviously Championship Clubs could see that it would harm THEIR  BUSINESS and stuck to what was working for them.It could probably lead to breakaway movement if forced through IMO.Shambles.

• Like 1