British Speedway Forum

You have two choices with British Speedway:

1) Abolish All Double Up Riding with the exception of one Professional League and the National League (no rider to race in all three leagues). This would enable more teams to race on the nights they wish to; doubling up really prevents this.

2) Alternatively find enough teams who will ride on Monday, Wednesday or Thursday and call that league the Premiership. Then the remaining teams could race on Friday, Saturday or Sunday with no riders in either the Polish League or the Speedway GPs and call this the Championship league.

The National League could still race on any night but all riders signed to a Professional League would have to give priority to that league.

Of course if they abolish doubling up you could race on all nights except Tuesday or Sunday (The National League being exempted).

As long as you have doubling up you cannot have anything other than fixed race nights for either the Premiership or the Championship.

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

No. We got better now

I agree that the current track is the best in the country by miles, that wasn't the point I was making.

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Same public transport will get you there....its only a few hundred yards away (as you probably know)

Yes but I'm getting on a bit and wouldn't fancy the trip home in the evening.

Whilst the powers that be can share some of the blame for the current state of things, perhaps the fan base being so fixed in their ways does not help. Many tracks dare not run anything other than a league or cup meetings simply because the fan base does not want to see individual meetings and running the club on the limited number of meetings is in itself no longer enough to make it viable given the pay demands and cost of machinery. I still don’t quite understand the lack of interest with individual meetings when some of the better racing on TV has been those featuring individual riders.

Perhaps if you had an individual championship that meant something to all participants and it could attract a sponsor or decent pot of winnings this might throw up one or two characters which the sport needs. You could have riders representing clubs and the gross points scored by those representative riders go towards awarding a team championship.

On the reverse it might just be that league racing as currently set up will not work in this country any longer. Perhaps it has had its day as a seven man team sport. Riders rarely ride as a team and as has been said on many threads most riders want to earn a living and really don’t care who they ride for as long as they are on the track being paid.

Clubs should be allowed an open licence and the new perhaps have the option of running league racing where strict rules apply to teams and rider availability and others run at NL level with individual meetings and challenge matches etc and if necessary put on a two wheeled evening with a reduced league racing format, short track and perhaps some other form of racing. It is difficult but one thing for sure i# that joe public have fallen right out of love with the current format, lack of meetings and racing on nights that don’t work for a variety of reasons for most of the punters.

i still think that it needs to put its own house in order and if that means going back to basics so be it but forget the other nations, start ploughing our own furrow.

6 hours ago, HAMMER180 said:

if I was a rye season ticket holder I would be spitting feathers by now.

No season tickets at Rye House

As far as I can see no official information has come forward regarding this dreadful shambles, indicative I imagine of the arrogant disregard for fans shown by those in charge in just about every and any crisis

Clubs always raced on the night that was best for them. Hardly any children at Rye House this season. Bring back Saturday so it becomes a family sport again.

I hope (and pray) that maybe the situation at Rye House is similar to the Leicester situation in the 2016/17 closed season. The BSPA were working to try and keep the club on track. They thought that any statement put out (to clarify the situation) may compromise the negotiations with the interested parties who wanted to take over the club. Fingers crossed that Rye House survive at least until the end of this season and into a healthier future.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

As far as I can see no official information has come forward regarding this dreadful shambles, indicative I imagine of the arrogant disregard for fans shown by those in charge in just about every and any crisis

or is someone trying to rescue a situation?

11 minutes ago, idh said:

or is someone trying to rescue a situation?

Still no excuse to keep fans in limbo

4 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Like yourself no doubt:rolleyes:.It is a forum and everybody is entitled to an opinion.

Very true, but that's how we end up with Brexit, and how the U.S.A. end up with Trump. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

Whilst the powers that be can share some of the blame for the current state of things, perhaps the fan base being so fixed in their ways does not help. Many tracks dare not run anything other than a league or cup meetings simply because the fan base does not want to see individual meetings and running the club on the limited number of meetings is in itself no longer enough to make it viable given the pay demands and cost of machinery. I still don’t quite understand the lack of interest with individual meetings when some of the better racing on TV has been those featuring individual riders.

Perhaps if you had an individual championship that meant something to all participants and it could attract a sponsor or decent pot of winnings this might throw up one or two characters which the sport needs. You could have riders representing clubs and the gross points scored by those representative riders go towards awarding a team championship.

On the reverse it might just be that league racing as currently set up will not work in this country any longer. Perhaps it has had its day as a seven man team sport. Riders rarely ride as a team and as has been said on many threads most riders want to earn a living and really don’t care who they ride for as long as they are on the track being paid.

Clubs should be allowed an open licence and the new perhaps have the option of running league racing where strict rules apply to teams and rider availability and others run at NL level with individual meetings and challenge matches etc and if necessary put on a two wheeled evening with a reduced league racing format, short track and perhaps some other form of racing. It is difficult but one thing for sure i# that joe public have fallen right out of love with the current format, lack of meetings and racing on nights that don’t work for a variety of reasons for most of the punters.

i still think that it needs to put its own house in order and if that means going back to basics so be it but forget the other nations, start ploughing our own furrow.

I agree with you - individual meetings can provide some decent racing, but from a fans viewpoint one off individual meetings can give you that feeling of "Well done to Mr X for winning that - but so what?". At international level the Grand Prix system has proved popular (up to a point). If you support a Premiership or Championship team, would you like it if each club staged one round of a Premiership or Championship Rider Grand Prix series? Personally I would find that quite attractive. 

6 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Still no excuse to keep fans in limbo

Match Off ,the usual mushroom syndrome,but remember turn up next week if there is a match on!!!

• Like 1

They've released the relevant information, the match has been postponed.

Everything else is gossip and while it may or may not be the whole or part of the truth there's no point fuelling gossip until you can provide definitive answers.

• Like 2