British Speedway Forum

9 hours ago, Pinny said:

More like you think an issue like that should be swept under the carpet. Clown. 

Its disturbing and serious. People have every right to know about it , if it means they take extra care protecting their children against such creatures. 

Or was he a friend, thats why your getting so uptight?

innocent people have been accused of disturbing and serious crimes,then spent the rest of their lives hiding for fear of retaliation. Anonymity should be paramount until guilt is proven. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, hyderd said:

innocent people have been accused of disturbing and serious crimes,then spent the rest of their lives hiding for fear of retaliation. Anonymity should be paramount until guilt is proven. 

Strange that it is Rob Mc who on one thread was asking if someone could pm him the name and has now on here named the person a couple of times now he has found out who it is.Surely his posts should be deleted and he sits out a ban for putting that on this forum?

just saying

• Like 3

8 hours ago, noaksey said:

More news on Tuesday I heard today. Let's hope it's good news for Rye

Where did you hear that fella?

20 hours ago, Aroundtheboards said:

FRN have never been a good idea, anybody with half an idea about finances and figures would know that by having FRN's you cut down your potential foot fall through turnstiles as you don't get the floating fans that will pull in a couple or more Premiership meetings a week but now have to be content with only one !

Whilst on the face of it that would appear correct. But except Kent (mondays) and Brum (Wednesdays) none of the CL or NL meetings are on the same night so their floating fans can pick any top flight match they fancy under the FRN arrangement.

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

Asa Cummin bor, blas that is  - as we say in deepest, sunniest Norfolk .

I recognise that accent!!!

Not sure the answer to the Rye scenario for the rest of 2018. But I think for the longer term future of British Speedway fixed race nights in the top league is essential. We can't expect to get much assistance from international federations if we sign up to an agreed calender then just choose to run on other countries nights.

With around 50 percent of Saturday nights taken up with fim or one sport championships and qualifiers, and the rest Poland have priority on so it's just no viable to have Saturday speedway in the UK if we are to run a "top" level league.

I also think that with mid season drop outs not so uncommon there should be some sort of fund at governing body level that would ensure financially crippled clubs could furfill their fixtures. Meaning riders don't get made unemployed mid season, the league table won't be warped, and most importantly any attempts to save the clubs future would have half a season of an active team to get backing for, rather then trying to resurrect a dormant club.

Think the BSPA needs to call an emergency meeting to discuss 2019 now, and get plans finalised. As I see it there are 2 options.

1) continue to try to run an 'elite league' with as many top stars as we can attract.

2) or complete reform and go to one big league split north/south, top 3 or so from both divisions meet in a mini league to decide champions. With a smaller conference style league below.

8 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

I spent many years and countless hours of diction training plus living in other parts of both the UK and the Far East to eradicate my childhood accent. As my memory slips my accent oddly doesn't!

4 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

1) continue to try to run an 'elite league' with as many top stars as we can attract.

2) or complete reform and go to one big league split north/south, top 3 or so from both divisions meet in a mini league to decide champions. With a smaller conference style league below.

Please do not proceed with No.1 because big-name stars have proved not to attract UK fans. Big name stars are unknown to the general public here and are therefore not a draw to any possible new fans. No.2 A Big Thumbs Up to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, waytogo28 said:

Please do not proceed with No.1 because big-name stars have proved not to attract UK fans. Big name stars are unknown to the general public here and are therefore not a draw to any possible new fans. No.2 A Big Thumbs Up to.

What evidence do you have to back up that claim?

The one indisputable fact is that as the top name riders have drifted away from British speedway, so have the fans. Now, you can claim this is merely correlation and does not prove causation, however as I have previously stated crowds at Swindon dropped markedly in the season after Leigh Adams' retirement, so I am tempted to draw the conclusion that the loss of big names is one of the direct causes of declining crowds.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

My heart alive!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MattK said:

Here's one of your comments from another thread:

I can't believe so many people complain about how the tail to wags the dog, yet they seem to be proposing this as a solution. Therefore the tail wags the dog. Again. What you are proposing is exactly what you accuse the BSPA of doing. Short term, tactical fixes with no long term strategic views. 

If Rye House is allowed to revert to Saturday, why can't Belle Vue go back to Friday? Is it only clubs who throw their toys out of their prams who get their own way?

Coupled with the knock-on effect as others have pointed out that teams visiting Rye House on a Saturday will be missing riders who they signed in good faith based on agreed fixed race nights.

The other issue is that the above approach merely kicks the can down the road until next season. People seem to have short memories, as they clearly don't remember last season and teams turning out with three guests and R/R due to the endless clashes, which was the main driver for fixed race nights in the first place.

The sport is knackered...

By allowing Wednesday night racing they effectively went down the 'half arsed' road..

Allowing Saturday night racing just extends the road a little bit more..

The hole they have dug is huge..

Someone needs to temporarily fill it in a bit to help someone climb out and get saved..

And if Belle Vue want to ride Friday let them. You will have more attending a 'guestfest' on that night than will attend two full teams on a Monday..

Having 'some matches' guest free rather than 'lots of matches' with guests is not really an improvement that anyone should measure as a success..

You cannot be 'a little bit pregnant' nor can you run a Professional Sport with 'a little bit of credibilty'...

It's all or nothing...

There really is no point in losing a club just to follow an inherently flawed, unfit for purpose Operating Model..

Time to do what they can to get everyone to the end of the season and start again with a better plan next year..

Edited by mikebv
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, MattK said:

What evidence do you have to back up that claim?

The one indisputable fact is that as the top name riders have drifted away from British speedway, so have the fans. Now, you can claim this is merely correlation and does not prove causation, however as I have previously stated crowds at Swindon dropped markedly in the season after Leigh Adams' retirement, so I am tempted to draw the conclusion that the loss of big names is one of the direct causes of declining crowds.

Adams, Crump, rickardsson & Gollob were big names. Who of today's riders can pull in the crowds these days.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, noaksey said:

More news on Tuesday I heard today. Let's hope it's good news for Rye

MORE news ? We’ve had NO news as of now, how can we have more when we’ve had none 

2 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Adams, Crump, rickardsson & Gollob were big names. Who of today's riders can pull in the crowds these days.

No one. Because we have very few big names left in British speedway. Hence one of the reasons crowds are declining. Which is my point.

Therefore, Way2Go's claim that "big-name stars have proved not to attract UK fans" is not supported by any evidence. In fact the evidence points to the opposite. There were more big names 10 years ago and they attracted bigger crowds to British league racing. Of course, it is mere speculation that attracting big names back to British speedway would translate into bigger crowds today, but we cannot say it wouldn't happen as we simply don't know.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Rain? What is this rain you speak of? :)

That's jinksed the rest of summer!

Oh don't worry, but will start raining as soon as the schools break up for Summer hols anyway!