British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

There may well be other teams who can put together more impressive teams under a no limit system. At least this way we are not pandering to the weakest link.

Remember Dan McCormack and Cradley who got their way and with no points limit.

Built a team of all stars and went unbeaten one season. Great if you supported Cradley but other clubs suffered as no competition - Cradley win everything.

Probably started the decline.

So have Rye House folded? There website says nothing to suggest this yet..

Well IF Harris has signed for Swindon, that must be the case or has he broken his contract?

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

There may well be other teams who can put together more impressive teams under a no limit system. At least this way we are not pandering to the weakest link.

That's the way forward for British speedway... :blink:… I know you have your rod out again, but you are the weakest link.Goodbye:P

Edited by Bald Bloke

20 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Well IF Harris has signed for Swindon, that must be the case or has he broken his contract?

No one has signed for anyone.  I would hope they are doing everything they can to make sure Rye House see the season out.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ReadingRacer2017 said:

Chris Harris replaces David Bellego at Swindon. 

Source LK 

LK ????????????????????????

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

It’s all IFS. There is nothing official.

28 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

LK ????????????????????????

Least Knowledgeable I’d imagine.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Understand Somerset have cancelled their home fixture against Rye House  next week.

This is a desperate situation for british speedway, it has to be resolved for the good of the premiership and British speedway in general but I just don’t know how it can be, sad sad times for our once great sport and I feel for the rye house fans and riders 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

That was me and I stick with that scenario. Get rid of the points limit completely. Teams build to whatever level they can afford. Clubs on a sound financial footing have been dragged down to the level of clubs living on a wing and a prayer. Some will say typical selfish Poole fan but they miss the point. If for example, Rye cannot afford the team they put together, then put out a team with Championship strength. When a big club comes to town it could be a bit of beat the big boys. Crowds will turn up to see it happen.

The removal of a points limit will mean self policing. If a team discovers it can’t afford the team, out goes the 9 pointer and in comes a 4.5 rider. Promotions want to make a profit and it might take a season or two to get it right but it would stop the pandering to the weakest.

Also bring back two British youngsters in the reserve berths. Worked well and totally wrong to be scrapped.

I have said for years that Averages are killing the Sport,like you say when the big club comes to your home town the fans will turn up see if you can put one over them,with  today's structure (guests,r/r,average manipulation etc) winning the league means nothing anyway.

If finances are the big problem ( ie losing huge amounts on FRNs ) there are only two ways to continue 1) subsidise them in some way  2) allow them ( and others near a similar plight ) to move to their regular nights IF fixture can be juggled. I cannot see other ways out of this. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Understand Somerset have cancelled their home fixture against Rye House  next week.

it's on the Somerset web site

If you do away with averages far from getting a huge crowd when the 'big' clubs turn up you will decimate your fan base the rest of the year and even if crowds increase by 20% for the big club it will be a poor turnout.

One proven fact with Speedway (like most team sports) is that winning at home brings the best crowds so you have to do that the majority of the time. As much as I'm in favour of producing tracks that provide good, fair racing if I were a Promoter in need of as much income as possible I'd be providing my riders with whatever they asked for in order to win at home!

• Like 2