British Speedway Forum

51 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Russel took his share rightly or wrongly but that’s not the most, the majority went to the riders deals, and it wasn’t Ronnie Russell it was his brother

I remember one Promoter saying that the 'Sky Money' ultimately "paid for the No1"...

As it was circa £100k per track a season not a bad little earner for the man who invariably meant his team had to use Guests when he was often riding somewhere else rather than at his own teams' track..!

A resounding success of a Business and Operating Model if ever there was one....

Edit: And when tracks paid this money to ten or so 'top riders', crowds still dwindled at an alarming rate...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Okay, you win. I regret trying once more to help the BSF. I will remove all postings on the matter and you can all whinge on about how nobody ever tells you anything and maybe work out why?

EDIT: - There, all gone now. Apologies for disturbing the ignorance. 

Rob,

I hope you rescind your decision as I for one appreciate your views.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

Rob,

I hope you rescind your decision as I for one appreciate your views.

I don’t. He spent 95% of his time on here being abusive to nearly all and sundry.  Puts himself on some kind of pedestal when in fact he is nothing more than a speedway fan, like the rest of us. 

Calling people names in virtually every post that are brimming with venom. Not a nice person.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

What are the BSPA doing ? It seem someone on the verge of sport (R McCaffrey) is in the know yet they can’t release an official statement.  

If they want it all cloak n dagger they should find the source of Rob’s info.  Or even ask him who it is.  I’m sure he would respond as he has the best interests of the Sport at heart.  Don’t you Rob ?

• Like 1

It was an earlier leak that told us "there might be news on Tuesday". That, at least could have been confirmed by either RH or the BSPA but they chose to let speculation continue.

9 minutes ago, Argos said:

If anyone knows what is going on it’s Phillip Rising 

Quite a few people know what’s going/gone on, let’s just hope a resolve can be found but I do think the bspa should make some sort of statement even if it doesn’t go into the major details especially for the rye fans more than anyone 

25 minutes ago, Argos said:

If anyone knows what is going on it’s Phillip Rising 

By his own admission recently on this forum, he likes to tell just part of the story, to start minds and tongues working, then refuses to tell the significant rest of the story - for his own amusement

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

By his own admission recently on this forum, he likes to tell just part of the story, to start minds and tongues working, then refuses to tell the significant rest of the story - for his own amusement

In my opinion that`s mighty unfair on Phillip- he try`s to give as much info as possible without betraying confidences. This is very similar to what Rob McCaffery has been trying to do.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

In my opinion that`s mighty unfair on Phillip- he try's to give as much info as possible without betraying confidences. This is very similar to what Rob McCaffery has been trying to do.

This is what he posted on the "World Championship Pairs" thread
On 6 June 2018 at 9:18 PM,  Midland Red said: 

So why did you say anything, Philip?

Once again it's a case of "I know something but I'm not telling!"

Keep it shut if you haven't got anything to say in full

WHERE'S the fun in that?

1 minute ago, Midland Red said:
This is what he posted on the "World Championship Pairs" thread
On 6 June 2018 at 9:18 PM,  Midland Red said: 

So why did you say anything, Philip?

Once again it's a case of "I know something but I'm not telling!"

Keep it shut if you haven't got anything to say in full

WHERE'S the fun in that?

IT was tongue in cheek... get a sense of humour

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I don’t. He spent 95% of his time on here being abusive to nearly all and sundry.  Puts himself on some kind of pedestal when in fact he is nothing more than a speedway fan, like the rest of us. 

Calling people names in virtually every post that are brimming with venom. Not a nice person.

That rather harsh Steve, you have every right to disagree with anything/everything that Rob has written but he desperately wants speedway to survive at Rye House and he himself has taken some damn right abusive comments. Whether he is a nice person is for you to judge if you actually know him? but if not, can I let you know that when Rye House was closed and closed for good in 1998 (the track was tarmacked) he put his time and money in supporting the Ribbons & Entwistle plan to re-launch the club and if that had never happened then there would have been one less team for Poole to beat.

In short he is not the typical fan who pays £18 to watch a match, turns up 15 minutes before the start and then feels he has the right to spend the promotors money on a fantasy line-up but strangely never actually chucks in £10,000s of his own money.

Finally I hope you reconsider your comments above that will only help push another fan away (even a fan with different opinions to yourself as the sport needs everybody right now).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

RECENTLY I was invited to meet a member of the BSPA to discuss their relationship with Speedway Star and, indeed, the media in general. I told him that in my opinion the BSPA had become more of a secret organisation than the Vatican. It is all well and good publishing daily news items, which are fine, but there is no official spokesperson for the BSPA empowered to make official statements.

It is only after an AGM that any official announcements are made and then, a few days later, changes are often made which are not made public. They are their own worse enemy in this respect. It is no wonder that the general speedway public are suspicious and often put two and two together to make five because no one says otherwise. Quite often one promoter will say one thing and another something totally different.

Many years ago when Martin Rogers, a journalist by trade, was a member of the BSPA Management Committee he would brief the media, and especially Speedway Star, after meetings, some of which was "off the record" but at least we would know exactly what was going on and could do our best to keep the paying punters properly informed.

With regard to the current situation with Rye House ... I am sure there are people that know as much as I do, which frankly isn't much.

But it is situations like this which the BSPA as an organisation handle so poorly. Of course, they can not be expected to release confidential information but just a holding statement along the lines of "the BSPA are in negotiations with the Rye House management to resolve their current difficulties and in the meantime their immediate fixtures have been suspended" would have been better than total silence which invites fans to draw their own, frequently inaccurate, conclusions.

What is not in doubt is that British speedway is facing a crisis the like of which I have not witnessed in over 50 years of covering the sport.

Well said.

The BSPA have no crisis management strategy....strange for a sport that most believe is in meltdown.

I am sure there enough experienced journalists/media folk/PRs on the fringes of speedway who could do a good job for the sport as an "official spokesperson"