British Speedway Forum

4 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

It has to be resolved somehow, the league depends on it, I don’t know how but this season has to make it too the end of season and then speedway in Britain has to change 

If I had a pound for every time I`ve heard that, don`t forget its very difficult to see what changes are needed when your head is buried in the sand.

2 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

That rather harsh Steve, you have every right to disagree with anything/everything that Rob has written but he desperately wants speedway to survive at Rye House and he himself has taken some damn right abusive comments. Whether he is a nice person is for you to judge if you actually know him? but if not, can I let you know that when Rye House was closed and closed for good in 1998 (the track was tarmacked) he put his time and money in supporting the Ribbons & Entwistle plan to re-launch the club and if that had never happened then there would have been one less team for Poole to beat.

In short he is not the typical fan who pays £18 to watch a match, turns up 15 minutes before the start and then feels he has the right to spend the promotors money on a fantasy line-up but strangely never actually chucks in £10,000s of his own money.

Finally I hope you reconsider your comments above that will only help push another fan away (even a fan with different opinions to yourself as the sport needs everybody right now).

11 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

YOU know that, I know that ... but do the people who hold the reins know that?

They must know it, but whoever try’s to address the issues and get control of the sport is going to as popular as syphilis in a lot of people’s eyes, while the sport is attending its own funeral there are some who are doing ok in their own little way and when you try to take that away is when  the wall gets put up 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

You could the rye house riders a call, unless they have been gagged they do know the whole story 

I think everyone has been gagged Deano. The silence from all parties is deafening. It's the rye house fans I feel sorry for.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I meant to say Rye House was still closed in 1998.

I’m sure there would be a few people willing to make a comment, even if the credit is given as ‘a source close too’ Give Rob McCaffrey a call Phil he gives the impression he is privy to a lot of inside info.  So it seems someone (s) are talking 

14 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I think everyone has been gagged Deano. The silence from all parties is deafening. It's the rye house fans I feel sorry for.

I understand if they have been gagged but that still shouldn’t have a bearing on the bspa putting out some of statement, it is very poor 

3 minutes ago, semion said:

I’m sure there would be a few people willing to make a comment, even if the credit is given as ‘a source close too’ Give Rob McCaffrey a call Phil he gives the impression he is privy to a lot of inside info.  So it seems someone (s) are talking 

TALKING off the record ...

31 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

They must know it, but whoever try’s to address the issues and get control of the sport is going to as popular as syphilis in a lot of people’s eyes, while the sport is attending its own funeral there are some who are doing ok in their own little way and when you try to take that away is when  the wall gets put up 

For me, the fundamental issue that must be sorted is that far too many Promoters see it as a hobby in which they can chuck away a few quid and maybe even (who knows?) get a few tax breaks from their other business interests by investing in a loss making business...

Years ago many, if not most, Promoters were business men who worked together (in the main), to generate a bit of overall return for the whole of the Sport, knowing that their own individual business would ultimately profit from a thriving League..

Sometimes it seemed a bit 'somewhat contrived',  however, never the less, the fans lapped it up and everyone from Promoters, fans and riders seemed happy, and more importantly the sport was 'successful'..

Nowadays it seems everyone is out for themselves, trying desperately to put one over their rivals, all in an effort to win Leagues hardly anyone in their respective fan bases gives two tosses about such is the nonsense way the Sport is ran in Britain..

What they appear to fail to see is that without any 'rivals' their own business also disappears....

Maybe one day, someone will notice the impending 'meltdown' that is happening in front of them and do something to prevent it..?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mikebv said:

Maybe one day, someone will notice the impending 'meltdown' that is happening in front of them and do something to prevent it..?

Can't see it. History tells us that they will contrive yet another rule change ( in the interests of the sport ) or structural card castle that will fall down three months after the BSPA put it up.

As I think Philip Rising says in an earlier post , there is no reason whatsoever that the BSPA can't at least  acknowledge that there is a problem , rather than from fans perspective  ignore it totally. 

For as long as I’ve been going we have always had a problem bringing in new fans in any kind of significant numbers. Twenty years ago we were already down to the hardcore fan base and it has taken a lot of work to drive them away. 

These fans were dyed in the wool types with a sense of fairplay and moral values passed down by their parents, parents who had seen the country pull together during the war. 

The other thing about these fans is they didn’t like change or new ideas. 

Play offs, jokers and the like really turned these fans off whilst they also failed to bring in newbies. The cheating and rule bending so prevalent this century also made it difficult to get behind it as a sporting contest. 

The result is no new fans whilst actively pushing away the anorak, board waving diehards. Like I say it’s taken a lot of effort to prize these guys from their anoraks but unbelievable they did it. 

Now we’re bollocked, there is no getting away from it. We are no longer in a position where tweaks will do, we need to draw a line under it, take stock and start from scratch - with the wishes of the current fan base paramount. We no longer have anyone within the sport capable of doing this and if the current bunch don’t relinquish control then speedway as a professional sport in this country will end. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Argos said:

If anyone knows what is going on it’s Phillip Rising 

There a quite a few who know, but have been asked to keep it quiet until something official is announced. 

I would of thought the lack of any news after almost a week would signify negotiations are taking place. 

Edited by Shadders
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shadders said:

There a quite a few who know, but have been asked to keep it quiet until something official is announced. 

I would of thought the lack of any news after almost a week would signify negotiations are taking place. 

Yes, of course they will put out an announcement as soon as something is sorted is my guess. Main thing is they are trying behind the scenes.... 

14 minutes ago, Trees said:

Yes, of course they will put out an announcement as soon as something is sorted is my guess. Main thing is they are trying behind the scenes.... 

It’s pretty obvious the problems at Rye House stem from the move to fixed night racing. Attendances down over 50% would kill any club. Unless the BSPA relent I fear there will be no more Rye House Rockets this year and perphaps for ever. Add to that some of the extraordinary pay deals some of the riders are rumoured to be on, the loss of the Sky TV deal and the infrequent meetings. I’ll be surprised if we’re not the only club in trouble. 

Edited by Shadders
  • Like 3