British Speedway Forum

9 minutes ago, Shadders said:

It’s pretty obvious the problems at Rye House stem from the move to fixed night racing. Attendances down over 50% would kill any club. Unless the BSPA relent I fear there will be no more Rye House Rockets this year and perphaps for ever. Add to that some of the extraordinary pay deals some of the riders are rumoured to be on, the loss of the Sky TV deal and the infrequent meetings. I’ll be surprised if we’re not the only club in trouble. 

If, as is always mooted, the majority of Rye's fans are getting on a bit, why can't they support the team on a week night lol. Old habits die hard I guess. 

I do think the management need to put a bit more thought into the viewing though, open up the pits area too. 

Maybe it's all too late, the fans have not used and are going lose their club, we'll see. 

Fans don't "lose" their club. The promoters give up with their feeble or nonexistent marketing efforts and choose to close down. Customers may choose not to go on whatever day of the week they wish. At whatever age they may be. Losing another club through the inability of the BSPA to get their latest diktat right, is the problem collectively of promoters. And ultimately another team opponent to ride against is lost. It looks as if Poole, Swindon(?), Wolverhampton and King's Lynn will be left to race against each other time and time again.

• Like 1

I have been to every Rye House home meeting this year except the last one. The sign outside the stadium has space for the date and time of the next meeting but it has only been correct on one occasion. 

It may not add many to the crowd by having it right but it could mean some who planned to go would see it and then miss a meeting. It is little things like this that can be the last straw and if a promotion cannot do the little things then you have to worry at the bigger things. 

A very sad situation which with the lack of any news leaves me with a problem! I have turned down going to other events on nights when Rye House are racing. Do I now change that and then risk missing the planned meetings if they run or do I wait, only to find that there never was much chance of racing again this year but I have left it too late for the other events. 

• Like 1

The Somerset away fixture is now postponed , so I doubt the next home fixture will take place . For the good of Speedway can someone give a statement . If it was riders with holding there services There would be repercussions so come on some one make a statement and let the league move forward for the benefit of every promoter, manager , rider and supporters 

19 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

The Somerset away fixture is now postponed , so I doubt the next home fixture will take place . For the good of Speedway can someone give a statement . If it was riders with holding there services There would be repercussions so come on some one make a statement and let the league move forward for the benefit of every promoter, manager , rider and supporters 

One repercussion could be the whole league collapses if BT contract is for 8 teams if Rye was to close will BT honour the contract ? and without BT payments will other clubs survive? Which could mean the whole league collapses .

3 minutes ago, Haza said:

One repercussion could be the whole league collapses if BT contract is for 8 teams if Rye was to close will BT honour the contract ? and without BT payments will other clubs survive? Which could mean the whole league collapses .

What BT payments?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Haza said:

I would imagine the payments are minimal compared to the SKY deal. 

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere it's around £3k per televised meeting. Would hardly cover missing fans i'd say ???

Edited by Bald Bloke

31 minutes ago, DC2 said:

What BT payments?

I’m sure BT pay something even if it is minimal 

3 hours ago, Trees said:

If, as is always mooted, the majority of Rye's fans are getting on a bit, why can't they support the team on a week night lol. Old habits die hard I guess. 

I do think the management need to put a bit more thought into the viewing though, open up the pits area too. 

Maybe it's all too late, the fans have not used and are going lose their club, we'll see. 

It isn’t the fault of the fans that the sport in this country is a shambles. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

It isn’t the fault of the fans that the sport in this country is a shambles. 

Definitely not the fans fault - promotions total failure to promote the sport and the bit that gets me and this is the reason I’ve not been to Kings Lynn for over a year is being totally taken for granted .

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I don’t. He spent 95% of his time on here being abusive to nearly all and sundry.  Puts himself on some kind of pedestal when in fact he is nothing more than a speedway fan, like the rest of us. 

Calling people names in virtually every post that are brimming with venom. Not a nice person.

Absolutely bang on. 

40 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I would imagine the payments are minimal compared to the SKY deal. 

not directed at you city rebel....just wanted to get in on a sky comment

i remember when sky used to sponsor ./ pay  clubs in premier league,...and the amount of slagging off they got on the speedway forums, like how they were doing it all wrong,...how they had dictated the league, meetings only on cos the cameras were there etc,..could be one of the reasons they pulled out,..so when B.T. pull their plug.

is that mission accomplished from the dissatisfied ,who are looking for a scapegoat...not all riders can make a living as a rider...years ago (1970s)most had a day job esp

if starting out as a rider,   maybe needs to be like that again with a re structure...fixed race nights  is just another nail  ect

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, capone said:

not directed at you city rebel....just wanted to get in on a sky comment

i remember when sky used to sponsor ./ pay  clubs in premier league,...and the amount of slagging off they got on the speedway forums, like how they were doing it all wrong,...how they had dictated the league, meetings only on cos the cameras were there etc,..could be one of the reasons they pulled out,..so when B.T. pull their plug.

is that mission accomplished from the dissatisfied ,who are looking for a scapegoat...not all riders can make a living as a rider...years ago (1970s)most had a day job esp

if starting out as a rider,   maybe needs to be like that again with a re structure...fixed race nights  is just another nail  ect

I think it is more to do with Sky restructuring their sports schedule and broadcasting. Falling revenue is another contributor.

• Like 1

What I don’t understand is this, and maybe this is why RH are in such  mess, The new owners buy the club of Mr Silver then put some one in charge who has no experience in Speedway ie Steve Jensen he seems absolutely clueless but why wouldn’t he he’s never been involved in Speedway, do you think RH would be in such a state if they had employed Colin Pratt,   

• Like 2