British Speedway Forum

1 minute ago, Argos said:

What I don’t understand is this, and maybe this is why RH are in such  mess, The new owners buy the club of Mr Silver then put some one in charge who has no experience in Speedway ie Steve Jensen he seems absolutely clueless but why wouldn’t he he’s never been involved in Speedway, do you think RH would be in such a state if they had employed Colin Pratt,   

Only the seemingly "clueless" qualify as potential new promoters nowadays. An essential part of the £9.95p bond they have to put up. The problem really is - how to find such candidates.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shadders said:

It’s pretty obvious the problems at Rye House stem from the move to fixed night racing. Attendances down over 50% would kill any club. Unless the BSPA relent I fear there will be no more Rye House Rockets this year and perphaps for ever. Add to that some of the extraordinary pay deals some of the riders are rumoured to be on, the loss of the Sky TV deal and the infrequent meetings. I’ll be surprised if we’re not the only club in trouble. 

Whilst 6 out of 8 is far from being a success, it seems to be only Rye House and Belle Vue who can't make it pay currently. Like you say, I think the fixed race nights has obviously had a massive impact but there is other big problems too.

5 hours ago, Shadders said:

There a quite a few who know, but have been asked to keep it quiet until something official is announced. 

I would of thought the lack of any news after almost a week would signify negotiations are taking place. 

Surely they could of announced that last week? "There is negiogations ongoing. We will update you further when we can confirm more news."

All they've done now is alienate and pi$$ off what fans they do have left.

• Like 3

On the subject of Rye House, a dormant limited company, Restart Drinks (UK) Ltd, filed to change its name to BMR Speedway Ltd on 20/12/2015  presumably this is the company promoting Rye House --    However, it has never filed any accounts since.

A sister company BMR Racing Ltd, Hasn't filed any accounts since December 2015, and has since been given notice by Companies House that it is to be struck off.  (This notice has since been stayed in June 2018).   The last (2015) accounts filed by BMR Racing Ltd showed it had debts of £3m.

In football there are tests to ascertain if new club owners are "fit and proper" owners.    Does Speedway make such checks?

Edited by WalterPlinge
  • Like 1

Not sure if this has already been posted but doesn’t make good reading from the Dragons Speedway Club  

“Hi everyone, sadly the meeting this Sunday (8th) at Rye House is cancelled. Our next event is Sunday 29th July 12-4pm at Rye House.
If you would like to enter please contact Claire on:
Mob: 07904 234022
email: dragonsspeedway@gmail.com” 

1 hour ago, WalterPlinge said:

On the subject of Rye House, a dormant limited company, Restart Drinks (UK) Ltd, filed to change its name to BMR Speedway Ltd on 20/12/2015  presumably this is the company promoting Rye House --    However, it has never filed any accounts since.

A sister company BMR Racing Ltd, Hasn't filed any accounts since December 2015, and has since been given notice by Companies House that it is to be struck off.  (This notice has since been stayed in June 2018).   The last (2015) accounts filed by BMR Racing Ltd showed it had debts of £3m.

In football there are tests to ascertain if new club owners are "fit and proper" owners.    Does Speedway make such checks?

The speedway club I believe submit their accounts as Carter & Bailey. This  company has gone back donkeys years  at Rye House. Len traded at Rye under this name may have sold the company name to BMR. 

8 minutes ago, Dave Stummings said:

The speedway club I believe submit their accounts as Carter & Bailey. This  company has gone back donkeys years  at Rye House. Len traded at Rye under this name may have sold the company name to BMR. 

You seem to be correct.   Carter & Bailey Ltd last filed accounts to April 2015.   They were signed off by Len Silver.      Since then the company has been sold.  Len Silver and Hazal Naylor are no longer officers of the company.

Warren George Scott is the sole director and also a shareholder with greater than 75% control (presumably 100% shareholder).   However no accounts have ever been filed and Companies House have been threatening to strike the company off for failure to file.  (latest company strkeoff action was discontinued in Dec 2017).

9 hours ago, Najjer said:

Whilst 6 out of 8 is far from being a success, it seems to be only Rye House and Belle Vue who can't make it pay currently. Like you say, I think the fixed race nights has obviously had a massive impact but there is other big problems too.

But 4 of those 6 have been racing on their regular race night. Of the 4 who had to change night, you have mentioned Rye House and Belle Vue are struggling, it seems that Somerset may be ok but that could be helped but fans no longer having to face the M5 on a Friday and I don't know how crowds are holding up at Leicester.

18 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

But 4 of those 6 have been racing on their regular race night. Of the 4 who had to change night, you have mentioned Rye House and Belle Vue are struggling, it seems that Somerset may be ok but that could be helped but fans no longer having to face the M5 on a Friday and I don't know how crowds are holding up at Leicester.

So that shows with the correct racenight it is viable. All this talk of reducing costs with 35.00 points limits and stuff like that is absolute nonsense.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Najjer said:

So that shows with the correct racenight it is viable. All this talk of reducing costs with 35.00 points limits and stuff like that is absolute nonsense.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. Belle Vue lost money last year even with average crowds of 1500 and I'm sure they weren't the only ones. This year, so far,  crowds are noticeably down on last year and the only difference is the change of race night. In fact you might reasonably have expected crowds to have gone up with fewer riders missing due to doubling up.

1 hour ago, Aces51 said:

Hard to say with any accuracy but I think crowds at Leicester look to be pretty much at last years levels, if not actually a little better

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:27 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

RECENTLY I was invited to meet a member of the BSPA to discuss their relationship with Speedway Star and, indeed, the media in general. I told him that in my opinion the BSPA had become more of a secret organisation than the Vatican. It is all well and good publishing daily news items, which are fine, but there is no official spokesperson for the BSPA empowered to make official statements.

It is only after an AGM that any official announcements are made and then, a few days later, changes are often made which are not made public. They are their own worse enemy in this respect. It is no wonder that the general speedway public are suspicious and often put two and two together to make five because no one says otherwise. Quite often one promoter will say one thing and another something totally different.

Many years ago when Martin Rogers, a journalist by trade, was a member of the BSPA Management Committee he would brief the media, and especially Speedway Star, after meetings, some of which was "off the record" but at least we would know exactly what was going on and could do our best to keep the paying punters properly informed.

With regard to the current situation with Rye House ... I am sure there are people that know as much as I do, which frankly isn't much.

But it is situations like this which the BSPA as an organisation handle so poorly. Of course, they can not be expected to release confidential information but just a holding statement along the lines of "the BSPA are in negotiations with the Rye House management to resolve their current difficulties and in the meantime their immediate fixtures have been suspended" would have been better than total silence which invites fans to draw their own, frequently inaccurate, conclusions.

What is not in doubt is that British speedway is facing a crisis the like of which I have not witnessed in over 50 years of covering the sport.

It would be interesting to heard the response you received from the BSPA  from the discussions you had,      Are they  bothered of how the fans feel  ??

7 hours ago, Mr Bump said:

Hard to say with any accuracy but I think crowds at Leicester look to be pretty much at last years levels, if not actually a little better

That’s encouraging. The problem with Rye House is it’s always been a weekend track since the Rockets relocated from Rayleigh in 1974. The South East has a massive traffic problem. It’s not viable for everyone to get there for a midweek 7.30pm start if they don’t work within a few miles of the track, unless they leave early which may not be possible for most. Add that to families with young children not wanting thier little darlings up until well after 10.30 and you can see we have a problem. Not sure Leicester have the same difficulties as I reckon they have a higher percentage of support that live or work within half an hour or so commute from Beaumont Leys. 

Edited by Shadders

7 hours ago, Aces51 said:

Unfortunately, it doesn't. Belle Vue lost money last year even with average crowds of 1500 and I'm sure they weren't the only ones. This year, so far,  crowds are noticeably down on last year and the only difference is the change of race night. In fact you might reasonably have expected crowds to have gone up with fewer riders missing due to doubling up.

To be losing money with crowds of 1500 shows completely poor management and handling of their business. They must have been paying riders way more than they could afford. There is nobody to blame for that except the club itself, it's not the BSPA fault to ensure all clubs are handled correctly in that manner or anyone else's other than the people running the club. I know Bjerre wasn't retained for this year but it'll be interesting to see how much of a pay cut the other riders took as it's largely the same team.

.............and if the riders refuse to take a pay cut, what do you do then?

• Like 1