British Speedway Forum

24 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BEAR in mind we are a weekly publication and went to press on Tuesday but, yes, plenty of info including an interview with Scott Nicholls

Thanks Phil.

Appreciate that you can't release things you don't know but the SS is a publication that many of us read (I am sure you would like more ;)) and anything that can at least point Speedway fans in general in the direction at least of what might be going on is better than what we have presently i.e No News.

2 minutes ago, Orbiter said:

Blimey does the Speedway Star still exist I haven't bought one since the 90's

ABOUT time you did so:neutral:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Orbiter said:

Blimey does the Speedway Star still exist I haven't bought one since the 90's

Yes and its for reasons like this that Phil said last week that he has to go and lie down in a darkened room when he see's the current SS circulation figures.

Suppose its indicative of our Sport in general in UK :(

When I used to buy it you used to have the match reports in back and you would get a poster of each team in centrefold each week. 

8 minutes ago, Orbiter said:

When I used to buy it you used to have the match reports in back and you would get a poster of each team in centrefold each week. 

Well I still buy it but admit not every week.

In my loft i have neatly packed away lots of SS from the early and mid seventies plus lots of programmes from the same period and eightees. I first came into the sport as a 16 year old in 1970/71. Fell in love with it and been a fan ever since :). Keep saying I will open up the 2 large boxes and look back on those programs from Hackney (my home club for years before they closed) - Rye House - West Ham - White City - Wimbledon etc. Lost of happy memories when we had a much better support days way before those days of computers/mobile phones - modern technology etc.

AS I said previously, SS could be overtaken by events ... SCB statement

IT is with deep regret that Rye House Speedway Promoters have today been annulled by the Speedway Control Bureau.
This is a sad day for the sport as the Rockets will now be unable to take their place in the Premiership for the remainder of the season.
BMR Racing, the club owners, and riders made the British Speedway Promoters’ Association aware of debts building and every opportunity was given for these to be reduced and finally settled.
However, it has become apparent this is now not possible.
We sincerely hope this is not the end of the sport at the Hoddesdon Raceway and that a way can be found for the club to return to racing next season.

Sad to see Rye finish up this year, hope the club is back running next season 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orbiter said:

I don't stem back as far as that but late 80s early 90s

But it does highlight to a degree that we are an aging fan base as we are not attracting enough younger people into the sport. 

I ceertainly dont feel like I am 3 months short of 64 and certainly dont look it so I am told LOL. But its nice to have the memories of when the sport was at another level support wise and having witnessed the greats such as Mauger - Briggs - Michanek - Olsen to name but a few and even riders at the end of their careers when I first started to see it such as Ronnie Moore - Jackie Biggs.

Those memories cannot be erased as thankfully I can say I did my bit in turning up every week for many years even when my club was not doing so well as it as the racing that was important. Well as a Hackney supporter with Len Silver was at the helm it as never going to be BIG in signings. Remember when we were promised Michanek but he never arrived a couple of weeks running and we ended up with Dag Lovaas. Not quite the same but typical of Len I suppose. Couldnt pick up the mobile in those days or email so it was all down to landline communication.

5 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

AS I said previously, SS could be overtaken by events ... SCB statement

IT is with deep regret that Rye House Speedway Promoters have today been annulled by the Speedway Control Bureau.
This is a sad day for the sport as the Rockets will now be unable to take their place in the Premiership for the remainder of the season.
BMR Racing, the club owners, and riders made the British Speedway Promoters’ Association aware of debts building and every opportunity was given for these to be reduced and finally settled.
However, it has become apparent this is now not possible.
We sincerely hope this is not the end of the sport at the Hoddesdon Raceway and that a way can be found for the club to return to racing next season.

Thanks Phil.

Was busy typing on the Forum and just saw this so indeed you got in first ;)

Kind of confirms what we all feared and a sad day for the sport.

The sport is ran like an absolute farce in this country.

Absolutely amateurish.

The Premiership should be outsourced like they have with Team GB. Let somebody else run it, it can't get much worse. 

A sad day for all Rye supporters. Hope they can return next season in the correct division to run on Saturday.

That's very, very sad news. Not good for the riders or fans. Hope RH will be able to continue next year somehow.

• Like 1