British Speedway Forum

3 minutes ago, ouch said:

Buster alone ousted Gordon & Morton in his lone attempt to take over. 

Gerhard engines was another solo project. 

He doesn’t do everything alone, his mate Godfrey often helps out. 

Brothers in arms, and that's just what you know about. This is undoubtedly the poorest performing Management Committee in decades.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mr Rising

The Star has been part and parcel of speedway as long as I have been attending matches. It’s a great read and provides great insights about some of the riders.

When you look at sports like rugby, football etc, there is always an attendance figure shown. The Polish & Swedish leagues clearly have no issues issuing official attendance figures yet British speedway doesn’t. Is there a reason why the promoters don’t do that.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

The awful traffic congestion on the M25 has played a big part in rye's demise this season. Taking on the jams on a work night is a no goer for a lot of fans.

That's exactly why I haven't been to a Speedway meeting this year,  No chance of me risking the M25 car park mid week for Rye House or indeed Lakeside on a Friday Night

• Like 1

The demise of the Rockets is a severe body blow for British speedway.

With the top flight now consisting of just 7 teams will it remain viable? Especially as other tracks must be struggling as well.

I find it worrying that Belle Vue with the new stadium and facing large overheads have seen their crowds significantly depleted this season, perish the thought but if they went under I think the sport here would collapse.

I have no idea what the way forward is for the sport as Speedway's ills are many but I do think it needs to be independently governed as I feel the BSPA really is really no longer up to the job.

Right now Speedway needs somebody with a vision to take it into the future, the trouble is who is that person?

Commiserations to all Rye House fans the sport is all the worse for the demise of your club.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ReadingRacer2017 said:

One big league in 2018 a near on certainty now. 

Not enough riders

1 hour ago, Whisperer said:

Rye House today, Workington, Peterborough and Lakeside next?

Who knows just wait for the BSPA's next attempt to close a club or three, how about cancelling some of their fixtures for starters?

Don't forget BV!

38 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I REPEAT that any views I express here are my own. But I think in the very near future SS will be expressing its concern not only about British speedway but the magazine itself. The two go hand-in-hand and with attendances dramatically down right across the spectrum of British speedway sales of Speedway Star are inevitably adversely affected.

You'll have your work cut out reporting on this and the goings on at Cov! Another postponement with no reason given... Just like Rye

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

Not enough riders

Don't forget BV!

You'll have your work cut out reporting on this and the goings on at Cov! Another postponement with no reason given... Just like Rye

I've not checked Belle Vue's fixtures but the other 3 clubs have had their Fridays binned, the Official SGB website has those fixtures removed from next week onwards

8 minutes ago, marko said:

Someone mentioned have the crowds they gained from Lakeside two years ago gone back to Arena now they are in div 2? well simply put absolutely not, Lakeside have had poor crowds this season, I am talking almost as bad as crowds used to be on a Sky night, if it doesn't improve Lakeside could well follow Rye House.

The crowds were decent at the start of the season at lakeside, but they have slowly dwindled away. With England playing on Saturday afternoon, I half expected the Glasgow match to be called off.

10 minutes ago, DragonsDen said:

That's exactly why I haven't been to a Speedway meeting this year,  No chance of me risking the M25 car park mid week for Rye House or indeed Lakeside on a Friday Night

I leave my car at work in South West London, and jump on the train to lakeside and rye. I couldn't do it any other way.

24 minutes ago, semion said:

For sure I understand the views are your own Phil, but it must be difficult for people to disassociate the personal comment you back away from the views of a mag where you are a major shareholder.

Totally also understand that for the Speedway Star continue it goes hand in hand with a sustainable Sport.  

Time for an open frank appraisal by your mag on the state of Speedway.  I am sure it won’t make for pleasant reading, but I am sure your readership won’t be surprised by what is written. It’s out there for all to see.

IT'S coming and soon 

• Like 1

Mr Rising

The Star has been part and parcel of speedway as long as I have been attending matches. It’s a great read and provides great insights about some of the riders.

When you look at sports like rugby, football etc, there is always an attendance figure shown. The Polish & Swedish leagues clearly have no issues issuing official attendance figures yet British speedway doesn’t. Is there a reason why the promoters don’t do that.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

The quicker the powers at be realise that the Sport needs a total revamp at a lower level and build up again the better IMO.Its been staring them in the face for the last few seasons.The riders will be getting a little nervous these days.Feel sad for Rye fans,hopefully the can be resurrected by someone next season.Guests ,doubling-up and fixed race nights have to go.The sport has to be creditable.

The problem with the powers that be is they are only out for their own clubs interests. Until when the decision making is removed from the promoters (how many of them actually do promote?) to people who are not involved with any club will things change. Sadly by the time the penny drops British Speedway will probably be gone. Hopefully there is someone out there who can find a solution.

• Like 2

Just now, Blantyre80 said:

The problem with the powers that be is they are only out for their own clubs interests. Until when the decision making is removed from the promoters (how many of them actually do promote?) to people who are not involved with any club will things change. Sadly by the time the penny drops British Speedway will probably be gone. Hopefully there is someone out there who can find a solution.

BUT the promoters provide the finance so cannot be totally divorced from the process. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IT'S coming and soon 

It might not be a bad idea to talk to some former Promoters to find out why they got out, oh and how hard they were shafted by their colleagues.

• Like 2

I am talking now as a fan in exile with no local track but I look back to Colin Hill's promotional reign at the County Ground.  Often are teams put together weren't the best but we knew that under his ownership barring a failure to re-negotiate a new lease we would have Speedway.  I guess that could be the same at Rye under Len Silver - not always the best side but under his stewardship Speedway would run.

Like in all walks in life there are always people who think that they can do better than the present incumbents - only to fall flat on their faces and leave the sport at those particular venues in a perilous state.

Hoddesdon was on our 'todo' list this season but we were told not to bother by some fellow 'Falcons' who informed us of the BMX track obstructing the view of the Speedway Track.

Fingers crossed though that next season Speedway does return to Hertfordshire.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Little Un said:

Buster as Chairman has no more input into running British Speedway than any other promoter. The Chairman of an organisation basically plans and controls meetings with support of the Secretary. Sometimes a Chairman may be given a stalemate busting vote but I have no idea if Buster does. The Promoters of the Premiership vote on all matters concerning the Premiership and the Championship Promoters vote on all matters concerning the Championship.

At the AGM every year every club has the option of applying to race in the Premiership or the Championship and Rye House had the option of joining the Championship but they decided to change their race night and stay in the Premiership, so the current situation is entirely of their own making.

Can anybody honestly say that the thing they have put onto the centre green has had no effect on the attendances at Rye House?

People should be putting the blame for the current situation at Rye House down to the Rye House Promotion.

agree,  the moto x track in the centre is a joke. £18.00 for 15 mins racing is already very poor value for money so i want to see all of the bike on all of the track all of the time, not 4 crash helmets wizzing along the back straight! 

• Like 1