British Speedway Forum

The sport just lurches from one crisis to another. Just a couple of days after losing rye, we are hearing that lakeside are having to ditch some of their Friday meetings. This is a very worrying time to be a speedway fan in the South East.

• Like 1

what a complete mess this sport is these days, one disaster to the next

• Like 1

On 7/2/2018 at 12:37 PM, Argos said:
41 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The sport just lurches from one crisis to another. Just a couple of days after losing rye, we are hearing that lakeside are having to ditch some of their Friday meetings. This is a very worrying time to be a speedway fan in the South East.

Lakeside statement on their web site now 

Why has the statement about Rye House been removed from the SpeedwayGB website?

Edited by a4poster

5 minutes ago, a4poster said:

Why has the statement about Rye House been removed from the SpeedwayGB website?

It's still there, look under Premiership Headlines.

7 hours ago, The Little Un said:

In reality teams had the choice to race in the league that races on the night they want to race. If the Premiership could only attract seven teams that would be their problem as I am sure that the Championship would have loved to have an extra team or two in their ranks because they could have simply scrapped the idea of the Shield competition. The whole situation today is exactly what happened in 1964 when the National League disregarded the wishes of the other clubs around the country and had to beg them to let them join the new British League because few if any Provincial League clubs wanted to ride in the National League.    

The trouble is clubs voted (with exception of those not allowed too) and as is usual people voted with self interest. The issue is that both leagues are as guilty as the other.

10 hours ago, Fred Flange said:

Defending Monday night speedway in a thread about a team who have closed due to moving to Monday night!!

Only you could do that, lol!

The rather sad bsf gift that really does keep giving.

Rye rode on a Wednesday and had 3 Monday meetings. The usual rash comment. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

It looks like they rode on a Wednesday when they were against other 'monday teams'. I wouldn't be surprised if those Wednesday meetings drew the bigger crowds. Belle Vue's Monday night crowds this season have been the lowest since we moved to the new stadium.

The Monday meetings were usually bank holidays I believe, which many have said were their biggest crowds of the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

The Lakeside press release and the Championship problems of a Friday racenight, only put emphasis even more on the FACT there is not enough riders for one big league.

3 minutes ago, Najjer said:

The Monday meetings were usually bank holidays I believe, which many have said were their biggest crowds of the season.

Both 7th and 28 July meetings were bank holiday meetings whilst the 14th July was a regular Monday.

So they weren’t a Monday night club as someone laughingly tried to suggest.

I notice, what is happpening in the world of speedway today, is fans are now desensitised to negative events such as the RH situation. No, they are not the first club to close mid season, but maybe the first top flight club, to my recollection. There doesn't appear to be the same outrage and panic that was felt and expressed in past years, when a crisis occurred. Speedway fans seem to expect the worst and when there is a positive, it's a bonus!     

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the riders will get fixed up anywhere else?

1 minute ago, Ray Stadia said:

I notice, what is happpening in the world of speedway today, is fans are now desensitised to negative events such as the RH situation. No, they are not the first club to close mid season, but maybe the first top flight club, to my recollection. There doesn't appear to be the same outrage and panic that was felt and expressed in past years, when a crisis occurred. Speedway fans seem to expect the worst and when there is a positive, it's a bonus!     

Because it is inevitable .......falling crowds over the last 5-10 years at least , anyway it’s not the promoters fault it’s the fans fault for not flocking to the stadiums.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

The whole point of Lakeside going in the Cl rather than the PL was to retain their Friday race night, so they didn’t go down the same drain as Rye House were clearly going down from the day they agreed to fixed race nights instead of sticking with their tried and tested weekend race night , even if it meant dropping to the CL. 

5 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

Oxford in 2007 was the last.