British Speedway Forum

43 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

It looks like they rode on a Wednesday when they were against other 'monday teams'. I wouldn't be surprised if those Wednesday meetings drew the bigger crowds. Belle Vue's Monday night crowds this season have been the lowest since we moved to the new stadium.

I was at Rye v Wolves that was a Wednesday. There were only a few hundred there I'd say 400 at most 

Clubs closing in midseason have always seemed to have been run by promoters who are new to the sport and underfunded with delusions of being able to do much better than anyone before them.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ouch said:

Birmingham. 

I forgot about Brum, I went there that season as well. That's old age creeping up on me!

I’ve been to all but one Aces fixtures this season, putting much needed funds into the sport as a whole. That ends as of now and with having an Aces season ticket it means no more of my cash will go into the sport this year. 

I attended Rye to see The Aces achieve a fine win only to see it scrubbed from the records. Why chance it again?

I put in a previous post how it takes effort to drive away anorak wearing (I have a nice Aces cost) board waving (I have a few) diehard fans but they’ve managed it with this one. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Little Un said:

In reality teams had the choice to race in the league that races on the night they want to race. If the Premiership could only attract seven teams that would be their problem as I am sure that the Championship would have loved to have an extra team or two in their ranks because they could have simply scrapped the idea of the Shield competition. The whole situation today is exactly what happened in 1964 when the National League disregarded the wishes of the other clubs around the country and had to beg them to let them join the new British League because few if any Provincial League clubs wanted to ride in the National League.    

100% correct!     The Shawcross Report (still available online) told the story, sorted the SCB and said speedway was a business.    Power was stripped away from the axis of SCB/big league mafia and spread across all promotions, forming the BSPA.        

Where have you gone, Joe Shawcross?  A nation turns its lonely eyes to you........?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lewy said:

Does anyone know if the riders will get fixed up anywhere else?

Depends if there are some teams looking to chop and change 

We are in the situation that pertained in 1960. The biggest success story of my 60 years of an interest in speedway was the Provincial League. The National League was down to about 8 teams and strugling but the PL settled down well. No big stars, some who were but past their peak, but rising talent (Mauger, Monk, Eric Boocock, George Hunter) ensured good if not really top notch racing. We do not need the GP stars. We need one big league with as many teams as there are riders, no doubling up so that the fans can relate to their riders. Accuse me of being a dinosaur if you like but the present path is the road to ruin IMHO.L

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, bill94d said:

We are in the situation that pertained in 1960. The biggest success story of my 60 years of an interest in speedway was the Provincial League. The National League was down to about 8 teams and strugling but the PL settled down well. No big stars, some who were but past their peak, but rising talent (Mauger, Monk, Eric Boocock, George Hunter) ensured good if not really top notch racing. We do not need the GP stars. We need one big league with as many teams as there are riders, no doubling up so that the fans can relate to their riders. Accuse me of being a dinosaur if you like but the present path is the road to ruin IMHO.L

Fans relating to their riders. Got it in one. 

Can you imagine Coca Cola changing their recipe every year?

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

100% correct!     The Shawcross Report (still available online) told the story, sorted the SCB and said speedway was a business.    Power was stripped away from the axis of SCB/big league mafia and spread across all promotions, forming the BSPA.        

Where have you gone, Joe Shawcross?  A nation turns its lonely eyes to you........?

And Joe Dimagio would have been a great attraction at any speedway meeting.

2 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Because it is inevitable .......falling crowds over the last 5-10 years at least , anyway it’s not the promoters fault it’s the fans fault for not flocking to the stadiums.

That's right I blame the fans too! They could have all taken the Promoters advice and brought a new friend every week ( sometimes two ) or over the last few years eagerly paid, say £25 or even £30 to get in. That would have given riders a much better living ( no mortgages ) and promoters far fewer headaches and financial stresses. Fans should all be castigated and any over 65 should really pay more, not less. With 2,000people per match at Rye House even BMR would have made it a roaring success.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bill94d said:

If clubs are running at a profit/break even, why should GP riders be done away with?

You only have to look at the shambles in the Championship of fixtures being cancelled and moved because teams need guest riders and there aren't any available. What a joke situation that is. Scunthorpe going to Redcar tonight with only 3 of their usual team. There simply isn't enough riders for one big league.

I haven't done the maths on whether 6 man teams would seem more logical to try and make it work but even that seems a long shot to me.

Edited by Najjer

I see the SGB website has chosen not to make any mention of this and have immediately taken the link off the Premiership clubs links. Guilt do we think!

3 minutes ago, Najjer said:

If clubs are running at a profit/break even, why should GP riders be done away with?

He doesn't say that GP riders should "be done away with", he says that we "don't need" GP riders; two very different statements.  Others have mentioned on here that riders of a similar standard can provide excellent racing, which is true.  You don't "need" GP riders to provide good racing.

Steve

• Like 3