British Speedway Forum

24 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Rye say they have been thrown out by the BSPA despite making a proposal to continue. Madness by the BSPA.

As you seem to be in the know, can you tell us what the BMR proposal was?

15 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Firstly, we would like to thank all our supporters, dedicated staff and volunteers for their hard work and continued support throughout the season.

It is with great regret that the Rye House Rockets have been forced from the Premiership league following the cancellation of the meeting at home against Swindon on 27th June 2018 by the BSPA.

Our proposal to the BSPA securing the future of the Rye House Rockets was categorically rejected.

We would like to clarify that BMR Speedway Limited continues to operate and remains committed to seeing Speedway as a major part of the future at Rye House Stadium.

The future sees Speedway continuing at Rye House for the remainder of the season and forward into 2019. Updates will be provided on our website: www.ryehouserockets.co. 

I think it's a pretty poor statement, to be honest.

It does nothing to get to the heart of the issue, such as any outstanding money to riders.

No, I don’t know what the issue is. I assumed it was the need to race on Saturdays. Why don’t Rye and the BSPA tell us?

So as the company have not ceased trading will Season ticket holders sponsors etc get part of thier money back ?

3 minutes ago, semion said:

So as the company have not ceased trading will Season ticket holders sponsors etc get part of thier money back ?

As I am sure you know, of course they wont. They will just be unsecured creditors.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read you comment properly. Fair point but still think not.

Edited by TesarRacing

Regroup in the NL and go back to Saturdays.

The club has rider development at its heart and in its history.

3 minutes ago, semion said:

Don’t do season tickets and the company that brought all that earth in can take it back !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pirate Nick said:

That would depend on what their proposal was surely?

Perhaps the problems are various fold.

One MUST surely be finance and maybe riders have not been paid. For example I know that when Nichols could not get a Champ berth due to the new rules he sought out a decent lawyer who helped fight his case to get the rule changed as it was robbing him of his living (partly). If he had not been paid for some time by BMR then maybe he again got a decent lawyer to go after them. If it affected him then multiply by the other riders. We don't know amounts involved and were there other creditors stacking up unpaid ??

Secondly maybe they did push for part of the agreement requiring Saturday racing which yes may help them but what about other teams fighting for the play offs. if those teams had several riders commited to abroad at weekends, and in the case of say Poole all 7, then can you not understand why they would not be happy to face trips to Rye who would only have probably be missing KK or Somerset missing at least Doyle & Holder Jr and also the other teams who would be relying probably mainly on Champ quality guests and some of them already commited abroad at weekends or for grass/long track. Yes all want a club to survive but not if its going to cost them maybe a possible play off place.

Also did i read somewhere that a portion of the away clubs wages are paid for by the home side in Prem. If they are in effect bust can you see clubs who  are already bleeding money (i.e all of them) going to be willing to go to RH with in effect no revenue forthcoming ??

No for me the right thing was done. Close it up and if they can rise again maybe in a lower league and they can finance it, plus  on a race night that works for them and the others than fair enough. 

With some of the championship clubs losing some of their Friday home meetings, maybe the master plan is to do away with all weekend racing for the middle tier. That should reduce the numbers nicely.

• Haha 1

If they didn't intend paying any money that may or may not be outstanding wouldn't they have bankrupted the company?

There's a whole lot of speculation based on very little knowledge here. Before anybody says they should have all the facts many companies have problems and don't advise all their customers of the financial issues. If you are personally owed money then you've every right to contact them and ask questions but otherwise while you may be greatly disappointed the details aren't really relevant.

I'm sure more detail will come out in time but I can't see paying a few quid every week or as with most asking questions sitting at a computer and never putting a penny into the coffers entitles us to know the ins and outs of promoters or riders finances. Like riders wages when they are discussed a lot of the guesswork is out of the country let alone the ballpark.

• Like 1

I've not seen any evidence to suggest riders haven't been paid - this is also not mentioned in Nicholls' interview in the Star this week.  If they had a proposal to continue this year then the BSPA should have taken that seriously, not dismiss out of hand.  It's a shame their statement is not punctuated correctly because it could be read that they were forced out of the league or just had the meeting against Swindon cancelled by the BSPA.

I am pleased to see that they state their intent to continue with speedway for both this year and into 2019 but without BSPA support it's difficult to see how that can happen.  They previously forced Sittingbourne (Iwade) to close and place so many restrictions upon amateur clubs which forces them into either not complying with rules or being unable to operate due to costs being too high.  To me they do their best to protect their own self interest rather than take a more strategic approach and outsider/new people to join their club never get a glorious welcome.

When commenting on here we all the risk of saying something which may turn out to be wildly inaccurate, or ill-judged, as we cannot see the full picture. We can only speculate as to what plan RH put to the BSPA. It may have been ridiculous, maybe not, but it was probably well-intentioned. Speaking as a speedway fan, I am pleased that RH have made that statement on their website. There is a tone of defiance about it, which I like. There are not that many people left with the will or the means to promote speedway in the UK. I've no idea what they have in mind for the future, but if it means speedway racing continues (or resumes) at RH, at any level, I will be delighted.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Perhaps the problems are various fold.

One MUST surely be finance and maybe riders have not been paid. For example I know that when Nichols could not get a Champ berth due to the new rules he sought out a decent lawyer who helped fight his case to get the rule changed as it was robbing him of his living (partly). If he had not been paid for some time by BMR then maybe he again got a decent lawyer to go after them. If it affected him then multiply by the other riders. We don't know amounts involved and were there other creditors stacking up unpaid ??

Secondly maybe they did push for part of the agreement requiring Saturday racing which yes may help them but what about other teams fighting for the play offs. if those teams had several riders commited to abroad at weekends, and in the case of say Poole all 7, then can you not understand why they would not be happy to face trips to Rye who would only have probably be missing KK or Somerset missing at least Doyle & Holder Jr and also the other teams who would be relying probably mainly on Champ quality guests and some of them already commited abroad at weekends or for grass/long track. Yes all want a club to survive but not if its going to cost them maybe a possible play off place.

Also did i read somewhere that a portion of the away clubs wages are paid for by the home side in Prem. If they are in effect bust can you see clubs who  are already bleeding money (i.e all of them) going to be willing to go to RH with in effect no revenue forthcoming ??

No for me the right thing was done. Close it up and if they can rise again maybe in a lower league and they can finance it, plus  on a race night that works for them and the others than fair enough. 

I’d heard the one particular promotion refused to go on a Saturday due to the possibility of guests and also a promotion started taping up Rye riders just as the rumours started. 

There was an idea to keep the A fixtures in the table and award home wins to the 2 or 3 matches outstanding. This would have seen the Rye riders retain their PL average but again this was vetoed.

6 minutes ago, ouch said:

I’d heard the one particular promotion refused to go on a Saturday due to the possibility of guests and also a promotion started taping up Rye riders just as the rumours started. 

There was an idea to keep the A fixtures in the table and award home wins to the 2 or 3 matches outstanding. This would have seen the Rye riders retain their PL average but again this was vetoed.

"taping up" Haha.

57 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I've not seen any evidence to suggest riders haven't been paid - this is also not mentioned in Nicholls' interview in the Star this week.  If they had a proposal to continue this year then the BSPA should have taken that seriously, not dismiss out of hand.  It's a shame their statement is not punctuated correctly because it could be read that they were forced out of the league or just had the meeting against Swindon cancelled by the BSPA.

I am pleased to see that they state their intent to continue with speedway for both this year and into 2019 but without BSPA support it's difficult to see how that can happen.  They previously forced Sittingbourne (Iwade) to close and place so many restrictions upon amateur clubs which forces them into either not complying with rules or being unable to operate due to costs being too high.  To me they do their best to protect their own self interest rather than take a more strategic approach and outsider/new people to join their club never get a glorious welcome.

i am sure that Nicholl's on good advice from his lawyer would have kept his silence and rightly so if he did take such a course in order to protect both his and the bigger situation.

Before some go on the defensive as to putting out rumours which are baseless let's not lose site of the BSPA/SCB announcnement and for me the relevant section.

BMR Speedway Ltd, the club owners, and riders made the British Speedway Promoters’ Association aware of debts building and every opportunity was given for these to be reduced and finally settled.

However, it has become apparent this is now not possible.

Note the  ref to RIDERS. That in effect is near enough saying not been paid.

This is a Forum and in effect we are free (within reason) to debate/speculate/rumour/exchange views etc. Comments I put forward are partly based on what the statement said.

I can fully understand why some (if not all clubs) wont support a race Saturday for the rest of the season view.

I am sure the relevant parties i.e SCB/BSPA would have tried to assist where they could as don't forget it took a week for this statement to appear. Speedway is not awash with  cash either at club level or within the BSPA. Why throw good money after bad as its obvious to most they were not in a position to survive without major surgery in the form of major  financial help and a probable move of race day to the detriment of other teams.

If they  really are serious about continuing in the future then move into a league which better suits their budget and on a race day which makes them  financially viable moving forward.

The likes of Lakeside dropped out of the Prem went into the N/L and then into Champ and its worked well so far. Crowds may not be brilliant but hopefully the product is more sustainable with decent promotion/sponsorship without the top overpaid riders. Also on race days which suits them better.