British Speedway Forum

7 hours ago, startline sid said:

exactly what I was thinking and because of that I can not see there will be any speedway at Rye again this year or in future until all debts are paid 

Why would anyone run professional Speedway there again, there is no money in it. You could run a few unlicensed meetings there like iwade and lydd, but what's the point. The stadium will probably end up running different types of motorsport with less financial risk.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Why would anyone run professional Speedway there again, there is no money in it. You could run a few unlicensed meetings there like iwade and lydd, but what's the point. The stadium will probably end up running different types of motorsport with less financial risk.

It won’t support the level of racing currently but it would support a lower level.

The stadium is set up for speedway so negligible start up costs just run at NL and go from there.

• Like 1

Would anyone support it though. Lakeside's crowds were terrible for NL racing last year. It's a big drop from top flight to third tier. I would go, because I watch speedway at all levels.

Guest GiveusaB
9 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Would anyone support it though. Lakeside's crowds were terrible for NL racing last year. It's a big drop from top flight to third tier. I would go, because I watch speedway at all levels.

It's a big adjustment and takes some getting used to (depending on your expectations etc....)

It's great to see the best riders (i.e prem meetings) but I've adjusted my expectation levels and now prefer a close/competitive meeting (whatever level)

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Yes and it’s a big difference to just having the raiders as opposed to having the Raiders supplement the Rockets in double headers and the odd solo meeting.

I hope that some of the Rye House riders get fixed up elsewhere. The only issue is of course is that it will mean other riders have to lose their place. Nature of the business though.

Heard that the Rye riders hadn’t been paid for 7 weeks so lets hope they get preferential treatment for any guest bookings that might come along. 

• Like 1

While the drop to the NL is quite big, it has been done very successfully at Eastbourne ( for example). I believe that if the promoter who

is making the drop truly believes in the product, presents it properly and with integrity, enough fans would arrive to support it. But it MUST

be persevered with. My own club, Lakeside, gave out all the signals that they really did not feel happy in the lower league, and that transferred

to the fans.  I was one of the few who actually preferred the National League because, for me, it has more credibility added to the pleasure of

seeing new young kids learn their trade.   So far as Rye House is concerned, this is the 2nd time in it's history that it has closed down. Maybe

it will come back, as it did before, after an absence of a few years. If it does, I hope the owners are more Speedway oriented than the current

bunch.

12 hours ago, Argos said:

With the sad demise of R.House, and the current state of British Speedway, I bet Brandon Estates have a big smile on there faces, what ammunition this gives them to say Speedway is not a  profitable  business 

Speedway at Coventry just about breaks even it's the Stockcar meetings that make the stadium profitable BE know this that is why they would not let stock cars continue 

Edited by Booey boy

Apologies for being late to the party but what the hell has happened here?  As soon as I decide to take in a meeting I find my local club doesn't exist anymore.

Not only that but the fact that something odd has happened at Team BMR in the BTCC as well. It changed its engine supplier this season for "economical reasons" and gone from the Championship winner to an also ran this season.  Did they take on too much ?

55 minutes ago, Booey boy said:

Speedway at Coventry just about breaks even it's the Stockcar meetings that make the stadium profitable BE know this that is why they would not let stock cars continue 

You must have the wrong info as surely it is all Mick Horton's fault?  He usually gets the blame for everything that's happened. :P

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Gemini said:

You must have the wrong info as surely it is all Mick Horton's fault?  He usually gets the blame for everything that's happened. :P

Most of the blame for what went wrong everywhere Horton promoted was his fault. A Buster Jr. wannabe.

Okay. I prefer to keep an open mind and don't just blame one person for what happened at Coventry. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gemini said:

Okay. I prefer to keep an open mind and don't just blame one person for what happened at Coventry. 

Just a brief passing comment as don't venture into the NL threads, is things going well at NL level at Leicester? Decent amount of original Coventry spectators? 

27 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Just a brief passing comment as don't venture into the NL threads, is things going well at NL level at Leicester? Decent amount of original Coventry spectators? 

I went a few weeks ago against Kent, and there looked to be about 200 there. A mixture of Coventry, Leicester, Kent and a few neutral fans, like me.

6 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I went a few weeks ago against Kent, and there looked to be about 200 there. A mixture of Coventry, Leicester, Kent and a few neutral fans, like me.

At NL level, 200 might be enough to at least break even? :unsure: