British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, ouch said:

Nothing at all to do with BV. 

When we ever received help from the authorities?

I’d love a more detailed post so I can put you straight on your misunderstandings. 

Allowing two clubs to change race night in order to allow them to continue in business is considered to be unworkable.

Allowing one club to do it, could work. But it still needs a bit of co-operation, and some favours to be called-in. 

Indeed. I’m looking forward to getting our racenight back next year. Like Rye it’s hit us terrible having to move racenight and as Adrian told me, we had no say. 

51 minutes ago, ouch said:

Indeed. I’m looking forward to getting our racenight back next year. Like Rye it’s hit us terrible having to move racenight and as Adrian told me, we had no say. 

Of course they did..

They could just have refused to ride in the Prem under the conditions agreed..

If Rye and The Aces had said 'not happening' the idea would have been dead..

No one would have come up from the Championship and took on a huge increase in costs even if Monday, Wednesday and Thursday were their current race nights..

Nobody who runs a business in the entertainment sector would, in their right mind, give up a weekend slot for a Monday or a Wednesday slot..

It could never make sense,  therefore it hasnt...

Edited by mikebv

1 hour ago, ouch said:

It might be sooner than that?

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Of course they did..

No one would have come up from the Championship and took on a huge increase in costs even if Monday, Wednesday and Thursday were their current race nights..

Nobody who runs a business in the entertainment sector would, in their right mind, give up a weekend slot for a Monday or a Wednesday slot..

If The Aces has tried dropped down a league, there’s a chance they wouldn’t be accepted and the top league wouldn’t be bothered as they would draft in a second division club with a range of sweeteners, as they have done on numerous occasions. 

As with the SON, this insistance that you just take your ball home if things don’t suit is baloney. 

Its such a simplistic view it warrants little discussion. 

11 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

I've no doubt had DG still been involved we would not have risked losing any of the 100% increase in attendance the new stadium and Friday, Saturday and Wednesdays gave us.

Besides the bleedin obvious issues with Monday, the business plan which led to so much of Manchester council tax payer's money being spent on the construction relied on the extensive research into how rubbish Monday was for speedway.

Sadly we didn't have a vote and therefore, despite what you think, we had no say and Smith doesn't strike me as someone who would be belligerent enough to do what you suggest, but then again it seems nobody did, hence the issues which I predicted as soon as frn was announced.

It would appear Turkey's actually DID vote for Christmas...:D:rolleyes:

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ouch said:

If The Aces has tried dropped down a league, there’s a chance they wouldn’t be accepted and the top league wouldn’t be bothered as they would draft in a second division club with a range of sweeteners, as they have done on numerous occasions. 

As with the SON, this insistance that you just take your ball home if things don’t suit is baloney. 

Its such a simplistic view it warrants little discussion. 

Are you actually saying that British Speedway would have lost Rye and the Aces rather than let them drop down?

Not a chance...

A mainly Northern Championship would have snatched the Aces hands off if they suggested they wanted to drop down..

As for sweeteners?  I think all Champ teams will see through any of that...

Several have been bitten before so won't make that mistake again...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Are you actually saying that British Speedway would have lost Rye and the Aces rather than let them drop down?

Not a chance...

A mainly Northern Championship would have snatched the Aces hands off if they suggested they wanted to drop down..

As for sweeteners?  I think all Champ teams will see through any of that...

Several have been bitten before so won't make that mistake again...

It’s as ridiculous as suggesting that they would let Rye shut part way through the season. 

I love how everything would be different to suit your argument when time and time again over the years the contrary to that has been the norm. 

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

Of course they did..

Mike,

A new Promotion at any club does not have a say until they have attended 3 AGM's

6 hours ago, Whisperer said:

Mike,

A new Promotion at any club does not have a say until they have attended 3 AGM's

I know Whisperer, a strange system too...

However..

Any team has a say by refusing to accept the terms on offer...

Just as many established and non established clubs have in the past..

The simple truth is...

Trying to run on nights during the week rather than the night that is quite likely keeping your business afloat is financial suicide....

No hindsight excuse either for Belle Vue, as one of the Aces' absolute fundamental reasons for opening the NSS was to ride Fridays and Saturdays as to keep opening Mondays was simply not a viable option...

They should never have agreed to run under those conditions as 100% it doesnt (and never will) suit their business...

Many?

Which teams and I what circumstance?

4-5 at least please to constitute the “many”.

2 hours ago, ouch said:

Many?

Which teams and I what circumstance?

4-5 at least please to constitute the “many”.

There are countless stories of teams threatening to 'take their bat and ball home' at the AGM's...

As one contributer once quoted "it's like a bear pit"...

And it's not just AGM's either..

I think it was Jon Cook who when interviewed in the SS said his time on the MC could be a nightmare as if tracks didn't get the decision they wanted out of him re a guest, or an adhoc facilty he was told over the phone that they would not run the meeting, close the track and it would be his fault...!!

Speedway is in such a parlous state it simply can ill afford to lose anymore tracks..

I would suggest historical tracks like the Aces have never been more able to influence a vote (whether they are allowed to actually vote or not)...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

There are countless stories of teams threatening to 'take their bat and ball home' at the AGM's...

As one contributer once quoted "it's like a bear pit"...

And it's not just AGM's either..

I think it was Jon Cook who when interviewed in the SS said his time on the MC could be a nightmare as if tracks didn't get the decision they wanted out of him re a guest, or an adhoc facilty he was told over the phone that they would not run the meeting, close the track and it would be his fault...!!

Speedway is in such a parlous state it simply can ill afford to lose anymore tracks..

I would suggest historical tracks like the Aces have never been more able to influence a vote (whether they are allowed to actually vote or not)...

And I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's just what has been going on recently. Don't be surprised if there is a change soon!

8 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

I don't think you appreciate the precarious position Belle Vue find themselves in thanks to Chapman's slimeball behaviour with the last promotion and the absolute lack of trust that has generated.

If Belle Vue had done what you suggest, Chapman would have hotfooted it round to Manchester council (behind our backs obviously) to tell them how Smith has ballesed up and can he have Belle Vue now.

When the council ask Smith to explain do you think your explanation (quoted above) of why he didn't accept the majority vote  will save the day?

No, neither do I!

Belle Vue are in a precarious position due to delusions of grandeur and an extremely gullible council.

• Haha 1

What are you on about all club now have to show that they can last the season before they start so how is it buster that in the wrong would you rather belle vue close half way thought the season.