British Speedway Forum

7 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

So Chris Harris signs for Poole

It has been pointed out that Chris`s performance for Rye House were baffling to say the least this year (sadly this resulted in his average being reduced, but luckily for him a low average makes him more employable).

His one great performance this season was 4 wins and a fall on a 5-1 at Poole (but I am sure this was a coincidence that they happen to be his new employer) the rest of the season was littered with 6 point scores.

His form this season has been erratic due to various circumstances he himself outlined earlier this year, well I am so glad that immediately after losing his job at Rye House and is in the "shop window", he breaks the track record at Glasgow.

It would seem that by total accidence Chris is a very lucky rider.

Breaking the track record at Glasgow is about all he has done. Had a pretty poor season, never seems settled and is largely unreliable in the big heats. Can think himself lucky he wasn't dropped in the latest re-shuffle just as Worrall can consider himself unlucky that he got binned instead.

• Like 1

Couple of articles in Speedway Star July 14th edition re Rye House one of them being a full page from Steve Jenson. I hope speedway does continue at Rye but I'll only be going if it's a team riding in one of the leagues, preferably Championship.

Will Rye reopening and running on Saturday bring the punters flooding back? I see some go to Lakeside, one said he now goes to Ipswich and I go to Peterborough despite it being 75 miles out and about 110 miles back thanks to the A1/A14 roadworks. 

I find the overall presentation and racing much better at the Showground so will I go back to Rye? Not sure I will. 

• Like 1

If it’s like Leicester & Belle Vue it’ll be less 10%. Lol. 

5 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

Couple of articles in Speedway Star July 14th edition re Rye House one of them being a full page from Steve Jenson. I hope speedway does continue at Rye but I'll only be going if it's a team riding in one of the leagues, preferably Championship.

According to Jenson, crowds were poor in 2016, rye's last season in the middle tier. It's going to be a financial risk for rye to reopen at any level.

Edited by cityrebel
Spelling mistake

On 7/14/2018 at 2:36 PM, cityrebel said:

According to Jenson, crowds were poor in 2016, rye's last season in the middle tier. It's going to be a financial risk for rye to reopen at any level.

Why were the crowds poor in 2016 though? It’s rumoured that we had Rob Lambert pencilled in but Newcastle made him a better offer and that threw a spanner in the works. On top of that the other rumour was that NBJ didn’t come back because there couldn’t be an arrangement made over who would clean his bikes. 

There was the Karger debacle. Absolute rubbish and given far more time than he should have been. Lanham was a spent force going through the motions. 

In short, the team was rubbish, if a good team is assembled then second tier racing is viable at Rye House, just ask Len Silver. 

34 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Why were the crowds poor in 2016 though? It’s rumoured that we had Rob Lambert pencilled in but Newcastle made him a better offer and that threw a spanner in the works. On top of that the other rumour was that NBJ didn’t come back because there couldn’t be an arrangement made over who would clean his bikes. 

There was the Karger debacle. Absolute rubbish and given far more time than he should have been. Lanham was a spent force going through the motions. 

In short, the team was rubbish, if a good team is assembled then second tier racing is viable at Rye House, just ask Len Silver. 

I agree with you, but len got out because of a shrinking fan base and a stadium that needed major investment. Crowd wise, the sport is in a lot worse state than it was two years ago.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I agree with you, but len got out because of a shrinking fan base and a stadium that needed major investment. Crowd wise, the sport is in a lot worse state than it was two years ago.

Len’s Kent interests certainly helped him let Rye go easier I think. Speedway attendances are declining year on year and have been for as long as I can remember and as you say the last two years have seen that rate accelerate. 

The sport should be an easy product to sell but self-interest from promoters is driving away the most important people, the fans. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Len’s Kent interests certainly helped him let Rye go easier I think. Speedway attendances are declining year on year and have been for as long as I can remember and as you say the last two years have seen that rate accelerate. 

The sport should be an easy product to sell but self-interest from promoters is driving away the most important people, the fans. 

Steady On Ben91. That is a revolutionary, nay treasonous thought to put before the BSPA. That the fans are the most important people! They long ago gave up the battle to win the hearts and minds of the supporters. Even those few now left.

On 7/13/2018 at 10:56 AM, Rayleigh said:

Prehaps trying every week would have resulted in better results for the team, then more fans will attend, then more money is raised, then he gets paid earlier?

Only just seen this, if you think Chris Harris wasn’t trying then you weren’t watching him ride. 

Amy news at all in what is going on now at Rye? Total silence from all involved for a few weeks now. 

On 7/23/2018 at 11:12 PM, SFTGNigel said:

Only just seen this, if you think Chris Harris wasn’t trying then you weren’t watching him ride. 

Amy news at all in what is going on now at Rye? Total silence from all involved for a few weeks now. 

That's the biggest worry of all.

My desperation to win the EuroMillions to help grows by the day! (although Newport & Cov would probably come first if it somehow happened!)

There is a dragons amateur meeting scheduled for rye on Sunday. As an unlicensed venue, it will be interesting to see if this goes ahead.

If Rye are to return in 2019 then I think they should enter the National League with a team, after the fiasco this year they need to ........

1) start from scratch again

2) walk before they can run 

3) build up the fan base again (and the fans belief in BMR again)

4) Build a team they can afford and survive the season

5) ensure they run on a Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon.

Ambition is great and BMR had / have plenty of that but for that you also have to have deep pockets and it seems you have to ensure your face fits and be in with the right click of people when your sitting around the table at the big HQ.  

BMR need to look back over the Silver years, many people moaned about Len (including me) as a promoter, his teams, and his presentation but and its a BIG but at least he gave us speedway virtualy every weekend throughout the season for a great number of years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tonyd said:

If Rye are to return in 2019 then I think they should enter the National League with a team, after the fiasco this year they need to ........

1) start from scratch again

2) walk before they can run 

3) build up the fan base again (and the fans belief in BMR again)

4) Build a team they can afford and survive the season

5) ensure they run on a Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon.

Ambition is great and BMR had / have plenty of that but for that you also have to have deep pockets and it seems you have to ensure your face fits and be in with the right click of people when your sitting around the table at the big HQ.  

BMR need to look back over the Silver years, many people moaned about Len (including me) as a promoter, his teams, and his presentation but and its a BIG but at least he gave us speedway virtualy every weekend throughout the season for a great number of years.

How easy it is to have rose coloured spectacles about Silver

How about winning - He nicked Woffy from Scunthorpe (who actually developed him in the National League)  when we won the league

How about the team - The teams deteriorated year on year (don't mention picking Boxall over Doyle)

How competitive we were - We landed up bottom three year on year (the only team missing us now is Redcar as they are bottom every year)

How about the stadium -, no investment what so ever in fact Health and Safety condemned the stand, so without the money BMR put it the club would have been shut down anyway

How about the crowds - well he oversaw a drop from 1,500 to about 400 each meeting

How about the marketing - quote " if you do like it the way I run it then don't bother coming"

He run the club down in the mid eighties and poor Ronnie Russell (I am no fan of Ronnie) copped it until it closed in 1993

He was given the club back by the fans in 2000 (first night back at Rye House a crowd of over 2,500 and paying the riders around £10 per point (you do the sums)

He run the club down again and poor BMR (I am no fan of BMR) copped it until it closed in 2018

Yes I yearn for my club to back, No I don't yearn for it to be run by Silver