British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, iand said:

After all these years people still spell his name wrong, it's Boxall, no H. 

I know, right? I hate people who can't spell. (BTW, there are two L's in 'following')

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 8:16 PM, justobsessedwithspeedway said:

In football, individual chairman (call them promoters if you wish) run their clubs, but the principal is the FA, and there are some very powerful people running 

But isn’t it the league chairmen who have dragged the sport out of the more it found itself in back in the 70s and early 80s?The FA however saw their major competition the FA Cup turn into a damp squib and also now seem to want to sell off the icon that is Wembley Stadium?

It is the league clubs that have moved the sport into the modern world with new stadia and bringing us back near the top of the sport with new centers to train the youngsters.The FA had their development Centre for years to no effect.And we still have the club v country problem listening to Mourinho this week 

On 7/29/2018 at 9:02 PM, jrm said:

just to clear up one point i hear constantly, len silver did not pick doyle over boxhall. len made it clear that doyle was only in for the injured boxhall and as soon as he was fit boxhall would be back in the team. now like everyone i wanted doyley to stay but len stuck to his word and he should be given credit for that.

Doyle was signed as a temporary replacement for Boxall. Doyle performed, Steve’s return date was coming up and we could have released another rider (Bowen or Hawkins iirc) and accommodated both, which would have strengthened the team no end. Instead Doyle was let go and Boxall came back, we went on to have a crap year. Fast forward just five or so years and Doyle is a World Champion while Hawkins is retired and Bowen and Boxall are racing in the NL. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 4:25 PM, Ben91 said:

Doyle was signed as a temporary replacement for Boxall. Doyle performed, Steve’s return date was coming up and we could have released another rider (Bowen or Hawkins iirc) and accommodated both, which would have strengthened the team no end. Instead Doyle was let go and Boxall came back, we went on to have a crap year. Fast forward just five or so years and Doyle is a World Champion while Hawkins is retired and Bowen and Boxall are racing in the NL. 

Ben, you really mean Hawkins, there is no way Len would ever let Bowen go back then :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

So here we are on August 7th. Rye House were removed from the Premiership over a month ago on July 4th and made a statement on July 5th which read as follows

"Firstly, we would like to thank all our supporters, dedicated staff and volunteers for their hard work and continued support throughout the season.

It is with great regret that the Rye House Rockets have been forced from the Premiership league following the cancellation of the meeting at home against Swindon on 27th June 2018 by the BSPA.

Our proposal to the BSPA securing the future of the Rye House Rockets was categorically rejected.

We would like to clarify that BMR Speedway Limited continues to operate and remains committed to seeing Speedway as a major part of the future at Rye House Stadium.

The future sees Speedway continuing at Rye House for the remainder of the season and forward into 2019. Updates will be provided on our website: www.ryehouserockets.co. "

Since that statement all there has been is total silence from the promotion. Does anyone else think we have seen the last of BMR Rockets and IF there is racing next season it will be a new promotion?

If there is racing at rye next season, any prospective new promoters would have to deal with BMR, as they own the lease and the stadium.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cityrebel said:

If there is racing at rye next season, any prospective new promoters would have to deal with BMR, as they own the lease and the stadium.

I fully understand that the stadium is owned by BMR, who may not be happy with another promotion running the Speedway, but at least they would then be getting some rental income. 

Is anything taking place at present? If not BMR have an expensive white elephant on their hand so rental income or selling up may be attractive to them. 

On 7/30/2018 at 8:18 AM, iand said:

After all these years people still spell his name wrong, it's Boxall, no H. 

Nobody knows if there is an H in Box or anything else as the fool refused the test.

• Like 1

Sorry to see Rye go. I saw my first ever meeting at Rye in 1960, watching Mike Broadbank, Geoff Mudge, Clive Hitch, Tommy Sweetman and others. Rye was a regular haunt until 1964 when West Ham reopened.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:49 PM, startline sid said:

so do you think that racing will continue this year? - sorry up until now I have been very optimistic about the whole new set up but I am afraid I am not now (unless you count a couple of dragons club meetings - no offence to them but they are hardly likely to pull any crowd in). I would love to keep my optimism going and will support any resurrection of the team but...………...

Hi Startline Sid,

It would seem that a scenario is starting to emerge that we might see racing at Rye this season.

8 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

Hi Startline Sid,

It would seem that a scenario is starting to emerge that we might see racing at Rye this season.

Riverside Hammers?   

46 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

Hi Startline Sid,

read a great quote "everything comes to those who are patient"

perhaps people know something I don't but still can not see it happening this year (would be great if it did happen)

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:01 PM, Rayleigh said:

Hi Startline Sid,

read a great quote "everything comes to those who are patient"

have read it again still nothing - from what I have heard fair chance that Lakeside will still be at their old track next year. Looks like we've finished - all those years of great racing just thrown away 

10 hours ago, startline sid said:

have read it again still nothing - from what I have heard fair chance that Lakeside will still be at their old track next year. Looks like we've finished - all those years of great racing just thrown away 

All the time the present incumbents are still on site, the track will remained unlicensed. The stadium ownership is the biggest obstacle to overcome, if professional Speedway is to be staged there again.