British Speedway Forum

Last week's SS has Jon Cook saying he wants to use Rye House!!!

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Last week's SS has Jon Cook saying he wants to use Rye House!!!

This may have been before Stuart Douglas announced he was to step aside from the club. I doubt Jon can do it on his own as he would need financial backing and a promoters licence.

2 minutes ago, tocha said:

This may have been before Stuart Douglas announced he was to step aside from the club. I doubt Jon can do it on his own as he would need financial backing and a promoters licence.

Jon Cook's had a Promoters Licence for as long as I can remember.  Apparantly the 'deal' is already in place with the RH owners to run in the Championship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Jon Cook's had a Promoters Licence for as long as I can remember.  Apparantly the 'deal' is already in place with the RH owners to run in the Championship.

If you say so. Stuart must have acquired the Hammers' licence from Ronnie Russell in 2007. He was joined by Jon Cook who left Eastbourne as team manager to take up the same role bringing with him Adam Shields. Anyway, we shall find out next week.

With stuart gone, has Jon Cook got the conkers to run at Rye on his own. Hopefully, all will be revealed next week.

On 11/8/2018 at 5:29 PM, tocha said:

If you say so. Stuart must have acquired the Hammers' licence from Ronnie Russell in 2007. He was joined by Jon Cook who left Eastbourne as team manager to take up the same role bringing with him Adam Shields. Anyway, we shall find out next week.

He wouldn't have been allowed to serve on the BSPA MC in the past if he didn't have a promoter's licence!!!

10 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

He wouldn't have been allowed to serve on the BSPA MC in the past if he didn't have a promoter's licence!!!

Just because he has a promoters licence doesn't mean that he has the finances to promote. At some tracks it's little more than a job description.

13 hours ago, cityrebel said:

With stuart gone, has Jon Cook got the conkers to run at Rye on his own. Hopefully, all will be revealed next week.

More likely is has he got the money to cover any potential losses? 

So the news from the AGM would seem to confirm that the Rockets are dead...unless someone is working on a National League place for them? 

Very sad. If there is no racing at Rye House then my last speedway meeting was the penultimate meeting this year as I live in South London and use public transport. Poole would be the only other track I could do but it is very expensive now First have the rail franchise and they love their interval so much I always am worried I will have to miss the last race to catch the last train home to Wimbledon. When I brought up the problem of missing the train with their office they laughed at me and said that no-one with any sense would use the train so they went off my list of tracks two years ago. 

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

Very sad. If there is no racing at Rye House then my last speedway meeting was the penultimate meeting this year as I live in South London and use public transport. Poole would be the only other track I could do but it is very expensive now First have the rail franchise and they love their interval so much I always am worried I will have to miss the last race to catch the last train home to Wimbledon. When I brought up the problem of missing the train with their office they laughed at me and said that no-one with any sense would use the train so they went off my list of tracks two years ago. 

How about Eastbourne for you as they will be in championship next season.

Arlington is at least 7 miles from Eastbourne and nowhere near a bus service that would be running at the time that the meeting finishes! 

Kent is the same problem and Sheffield is definitely too far to go due to cost although at least there would be a bus after the meeting but not sure what time the last train to London is. 

Rye House was my last chance so I can only pray for them to be running a National League team. 

28 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Arlington is at least 7 miles from Eastbourne and nowhere near a bus service that would be running at the time that the meeting finishes! 

Kent is the same problem and Sheffield is definitely too far to go due to cost although at least there would be a bus after the meeting but not sure what time the last train to London is. 

Rye House was my last chance so I can only pray for them to be running a National League team. 

Arlington is only a mile from the nearest bus stop.

Kent a mile and a half from the station.

Foxhall under a mile from the nearest bus stop.

Perry Barr less than half a mile from the station.

Monmore Green a quarter of a mile from a bus stop.

The last 2 both have cheap Advance rail fares & reasonable return train times.

8 minutes ago, Alan_Jones said:

Arlington is only a mile from the nearest bus stop.

Kent a mile and a half from the station.

Foxhall under a mile from the nearest bus stop.

Perry Barr less than half a mile from the station.

Monmore Green a quarter of a mile from a bus stop.

The last 2 both have cheap Advance rail fares & reasonable return train times.

Things may have changed but Arlington and Ipswich are around a mile away from a bus stop, that when I checked, did not have buses when the meetings finished! The only time I went to Foxhall Heath by train I landed up walking from the station to the track which took over an hour. When I did that I was about 25 and now I am 64 and have more sense (around the same time I walked from Ringwood to Matchams Park for a Stock Car meeting and vowed never to get caught out like that again, although these days I have to walk from Aldershot station to the Rushmore Arena which is nearly a half hour walk). A friend went to Kent last season and had to get a taxi to the track and then could not get a mobile phone signal to call for a taxi at the end of the meeting and had to walk which is nearly as bad as Foxhall Heath.

I will have to check Perry Barr and Monmore Green out. 

Thanks for your comments, I may yet see some racing in 2019.