British Speedway Forum

39 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Things may have changed but Arlington and Ipswich are around a mile away from a bus stop, that when I checked, did not have buses when the meetings finished! The only time I went to Foxhall Heath by train I landed up walking from the station to the track which took over an hour. When I did that I was about 25 and now I am 64 and have more sense (around the same time I walked from Ringwood to Matchams Park for a Stock Car meeting and vowed never to get caught out like that again, although these days I have to walk from Aldershot station to the Rushmore Arena which is nearly a half hour walk). A friend went to Kent last season and had to get a taxi to the track and then could not get a mobile phone signal to call for a taxi at the end of the meeting and had to walk which is nearly as bad as Foxhall Heath.

I will have to check Perry Barr and Monmore Green out. 

Thanks for your comments, I may yet see some racing in 2019.

Theres a bus service right outside of Perry Barr stadium takes about 10 or 15 mins into Bham. Perry Barr train station is 5mins walk from track train for Bham is at 21.53.

Monmore has bus stop 5mins walk from stadium or 20 mins walk into city centre train station.

Hope that is helpful for you.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Wolfie456 said:

Theres a bus service right outside of Perry Barr stadium takes about 10 or 15 mins into Bham. Perry Barr train station is 5mins walk from track train for Bham is at 21.53.

Monmore has bus stop 5mins walk from stadium or 20 mins walk into city centre train station.

Hope that is helpful for you.

Perry Barr is a possibility although the 21.53 from Perry Barr with a change at B'ham New Street gets me back into Euston after 1am which with night buses being what they are will mean a 3am arrival home! Monmore Green would be more expensive and would also get me home around the same time. Going to have to do some careful thinking. Maybe have to be happy with one or two trips to each track during the year and hope I can get a lift to tracks like Kent and Arlington for a few meetings. Eight meetings at four different tracks would make for an interesting season and I could always add a trip to Isle of Wight for the Steam Railway and Speedway in one day for even more variety.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have been spoilt for choice most of my life in London but that has ended and I have to get used to a new reality.

On 11/10/2018 at 10:21 AM, cityrebel said:

With stuart gone, has Jon Cook got the conkers to run at Rye on his own. Hopefully, all will be revealed next week.

has anyone else noticed the brown and white 'rye house speedway' sign has gone from the A414 westbound off slip? is this a sign that there is no hope at all of speedway at rye house?

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, jrm said:

has anyone else noticed the brown and white 'rye house speedway' sign has gone from the A414 westbound off slip? is this a sign that there is no hope at all of speedway at rye house?

Don't look good :unsure: Maybe replaced by Arena as with the MX track a multi venue ? Fingers crossed :t:

7 hours ago, jrm said:

Not my neck of the woods, but I'd be suprised if there was professional speedway staged again at Rye. The place needs too much investment to make it viable and fit for purpose.

On 11/14/2018 at 9:40 PM, Chris116 said:

Arlington is at least 7 miles from Eastbourne and nowhere near a bus service that would be running at the time that the meeting finishes! 

Kent is the same problem and Sheffield is definitely too far to go due to cost although at least there would be a bus after the meeting but not sure what time the last train to London is. 

Rye House was my last chance so I can only pray for them to be running a National League team. 

what about Peterborough?

15 hours ago, jrm said:

Probably be on Evilbay next week!

• Like 1

Can someone explain to me whats going on at Rye House? All I know is they had money problems last year and they had to pull out of the league. Why haven't they been put up for sale?

20 hours ago, eric i said:

Can someone explain to me whats going on at Rye House? All I know is they had money problems last year and they had to pull out of the league. Why haven't they been put up for sale?

They pulled the plug mid season due to mounting losses and I suspect they are in dispute with the bspa over money owed to riders amongst others.

A naive promotion faced with the change of race night they didn’t expect to impact so badly on their business

The place is a speedway venue and with the lack of clubs in the area it surly will come back one day.

• Like 2

In the Chris Harris interview in this week's Speedway Star, he reckons he is still waiting for payment for 9 meetings for Rye House!!

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

In the Chris Harris interview in this week's Speedway Star, he reckons he is still waiting for payment for 9 meetings for Rye House!!

I have to ask where the bond all promotions are supposed to lodge with the BSPA went? If it was used up with payments to the BSPA before the riders were paid then it is a disgrace which the BSPA should be ashamed of and the riders should take action to rectify the situation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris116 said:

I have to ask where the bond all promotions are supposed to lodge with the BSPA went? If it was used up with payments to the BSPA before the riders were paid then it is a disgrace which the BSPA should be ashamed of and the riders should take action to rectify the situation. 

Maybe the bond has been paid out but doesn't cover all the losses incurred?

That is possible but then there is the question of how soon the BSPA were advised of the situation and how long was it before they took action. 

If Chris Harris has not been paid for nine meetings then that should also be true for all the other riders. So how many meetings did the bond cover? In other words was it that the riders were not paid for fifteen meetings and the bond has been used to pay six meetings? 

Could the BSPA confirm that all fees were paid up to date or was some of the bond used for that purpose? 

I understand that the team sheet given to the referee at each meeting has to be signed by the team captains to the effect that riders have been paid up to date. When did the Rye House captain refuse to sign that information? 

Too many unanswered questions sadly. 

The bond I think may only cover debts to riders at what is regarded as 'standard rates'

Concensus seems to be the Rye deals were far from standard

It may well be that the riders therefore consider they are still owed for the 9 meetings even if the standard rate has been paid out

Just speculation on my part - I have no information or evidence as proof and no knowledge as to whether any payment has been made

• Like 2
  • Sad 1