British Speedway Forum

9 minutes ago, White City Rebel said:

If I may return the topic to Rye House for a moment...I must say I really did think that some kind of statement would have been put out by now. Can the Speedway Star really go with a "let's pretend nothing's happened at RH" approach tomorrow?

It is incredible that over 1 week since the first announcement was put out, there has not been a single statement form the BSPA as to what is/may be going on.

Appreciate there may have been some internal negotiations/discussions but it just further highlights the problems at the so called top level of the sport.

It also adds confusion when one reads on the Swindon Forum that approval has been given for the demolition of the current stadium but nothing is mentioned about what about the new stadium that was supposed to have been built 1/2 years ago. Comments about complaints from new residents on the new housing development about Speedway noise but not one positive comment put out that work will start on the new stadium on ???. Also one poster mentions that too long a gap between meetings and maybe the 11th July home meeting may be in doubt ???. May all be just rumour but no news coming out of such situations just frustrates things for all concerned with the clubs.

Perhaps the current issues are wider reaching than just Rye House ???

Very worrying times.

Was it a leak or was it a "fact" that we would we told something on Tuesday ( the one just passed)? Not only for Rye House it really is very dangerous for the whole sport, if this is not a one club wobble but a sport-wide earthquake. My view of it is that it must have closed because it is no longer open. It's last fixture was cancelled. I hope someone. sometime corrects my assumption.

22 hours ago, Najjer said:

Does the National League team make money... does this offset some of the costs incurred from the Premiership side? It's a weird situation if a 3rd division side is propping up the 1st division side however. If it doesn't make money, why have they even got a 3rd division side?

Does the World Cup/Speedway of Nations bring in considerable cash to top up the bank balance?

If you're seriously suggesting a business model of "We are losing money, but it's better than any other options" is a good one, I hope you never go into business.

Actually I have 4 businesses and my point is if the company can't make money then it should not be trading. Of course it is a lot easier said than done just winding up a company.

By the way, my companies are very profitable and I have sponsored speedway over the years but not all of my businesses have made money all of the time. That is the nature of business and I have been in business 30 years.

Edited by TesarRacing
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

Only got to look with my eyes old son at the TV pictures, you dont have to be Einstien to work it out near as damit.. As i said , pull the wool over somebody else's eyes, you'l have to get up real early to fool me..;)

Didn't you once get confused between the sport of rugby and the town of Rubgy? :rofl:  (and this isn't even a joke!)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

Rye house is a dilapidated old stadium. It has been for years. It looks like it was thrown together in the 50’s and hasn’t been touched since. 

If if one of your biggest selling points is “the best fish and chips in speedway” you know you’re already knee deep in the brown stuff. No one seems to know ( or care) how to bring it into the 21st century in terms of comfort, catering, presentation or anything else that would attract someone to it as an evenings entertainment  

Its sad but just put it out of its misery. You really are flogging a dead horse 

Rye House was the first place I ever watched Speedway and, with the exception of Torun and Glasgow, still my favourite place to watch the sport. It may be run down but it's a great track and I go for the racing not the creature comforts. 

There were substantial four figure crowds there for much of last season but the fixed race nights and a peculiar distance and lack of promotion from BMR (probably linked to the cashflow crisis we're currently seeing) as well as the gawdawful MotoX track have combined to kill the crowds and atmosphere there. 

It can be revived, probably with Saturday racing and the switch to the second tier racing that might entail but talk of "put it out of its misery...flogging a dead horse" is ignorant BS which fails to ackowledge how precious *any* currently operating track is in the precarious times for this great sport.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pinny said:

Jonny the spud obviously hasnt been to many of his boys home meetings at Lakeside then. Now that is an absolute dump. 

Christ, is he a Lakeside fan? 

I like the track but it suffers the same negative attributes you could throw at Rye House (and maybe more given that Rye House has a far superior view of the racing - at least prior to the mudheap in the middle) and it's the racing that matters. 

Edited by SFTGNigel
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

Rye house is a dilapidated old stadium. It has been for years. It looks like it was thrown together in the 50’s and hasn’t been touched since. 

If if one of your biggest selling points is “the best fish and chips in speedway” you know you’re already knee deep in the brown stuff. No one seems to know ( or care) how to bring it into the 21st century in terms of comfort, catering, presentation or anything else that would attract someone to it as an evenings entertainment  

Pr1ck.

Rye probably had the second/third highest average crowds in the division on a Saturday or Friday night last season.

12 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

The fish and chips are no longer a selling point. As for the stadium being dilapidated yes it does need major improvement to bring it into the 21st century but so do many other speedway stadiums. What Rye does have (or maybe did) is loyal fans who want to see speedway at Rye and elsewhere survive.  To say just "put it out of its misery" is an insult to all of us who loyally support the team and speedway (even though we do have our moans and groans along the way).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, White City Rebel said:

If I may return the topic to Rye House for a moment...I must say I really did think that some kind of statement would have been put out by now. Can the Speedway Star really go with a "let's pretend nothing's happened at RH" approach tomorrow?

NO:neutral:

2 hours ago, White City Rebel said:

39 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NO:neutral:

Will the Speedway Star reveal all tomorrow, Philip?!

rye would do perfectly well  back on a Saturday night in  another tier, if the start up money for the the top 3 is to be believed in 2018 theres no wonder they've gone peppermint

51 minutes ago, White City Rebel said:

Will the Speedway Star reveal all tomorrow, Philip?!

AS much as possible

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

AS much as possible

Meaning you have some news or you have nothing more than the rumours circulating ??

Don't expect you to reveal the headline of the SS article or its full content Phil, but would be good to know if SS does have access to what is going on and  can at least give some insight to the fans who so far have been treated like mushrooms in a dark potting shed.

1 minute ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Meaning you have some news or you have nothing more than the rumours circulating ??

Don't expect you to reveal the headline of the SS article or its full content Phil, but would be good to know if SS does have access to what is going on and  can at least give some insight to the fans who so far have been treated like mushrooms in a dark potting shed.

BEAR in mind we are a weekly publication and went to press on Tuesday but, yes, plenty of info including an interview with Scott Nicholls

• Like 1

Blimey does the Speedway Star still exist I haven't bought one since the 90's