British Speedway Forum

The awful traffic congestion on the M25 has played a big part in rye's demise this season. Taking on the jams on a work night is a no goer for a lot of fans.

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I HAVE no doubt that there are some PL promoters, already struggling, who would rather close than risk presenting a watered down product to their remaining fanbase. 

why 'watered down'? all you need is four competent performers of similar standard to race each other and its as good as it gets.

Currently we have an arms race which will end in mutually assured destruction

properly organised and publicised such a league could ensure survival. I'd like to have a top league and a div 2 but can't see how it will happen, therefore prune the whole thing back.

Don't forget tracks who can afford it can run open individual meetings and invite who they want 

55 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Another option is some of the better Champ sides step into a new set up with whats left of the Prem into a new format which allows teams to ride on nights of their choice suited best for the crowds, and if to the detrement of signing certain overseas so called stars then so be it.

Either that or one big league but something has to be done to make the sport more financially viable to at least cover costs even if not profit.

Thinks for certain have to change or we may not have a sport to discuss this time next year. Well not in its current format.

Unless they get rid of doubling up we need fixed race nights. Get rid of doubling up, get rid of fixed race nights. The two options are incompatible with each other. There also must be a rule that riders sign their contracts stating that they will be available for all of their clubs matches, which means either no GP riders or the Premiership having fixed nights on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday without any doubling up.

• Like 2

Feel sorry for the riders- they will be well out of pocket for the meetings they have ridden and not been paid for( that’s assuming they have been paid for some)

• Like 1

really sad to read about this closure of rye house .  i do hope that someone will have a crack at it, but not in the prem league . 

as another poster has written, more could follow . i say will follow . its a great sport when its summer and its just a shame speedway itself is a money gobbler . 

sad days ahead now for southern fans . hope it can be rescued . 

1 hour ago, Aces51 said:

You have to feel for the Rye House fans and riders. I just hope that something can be salvaged to allow the club to be resurrected next season.

As for Chapman, his chairmanship has been a disaster. Yes, he inherited many problems but has failed totally to achieve even the minor improvements that he promised when taking office. The openness and transparency he made a priority is a total joke, the BSPA is now even more secretive and where is the promised new rule book. Instead we agreed to fixed nights, which included the worst night of the week for attracting crowds and even managed to make a mess of that by changing the other agreed fixed night to Wednesday, when Denmark have priority. Now, more than ever, we need someone to step forward who has the ability and the vision to take the sport forward and to give that person the authority to do what is necessary. Self interest had to be put aside for the sport to survive.

Totally agree about the BSPA and lack of transparency.  It's almost as like,

"we're doing this". 

"Why?"

"Because we said so"

Feel for the Rye House fans.  How many more club's are we going to lose before the penny drops and those in charge realise things need to change?

Phil, has the Star done an interview with Uncle Lennie ?  Being a Speedway man through and through I do wonder if Silver has some kind of buy back agreement included so if the thing went ** up he would take it back at a price of course. Then again I guess it just the Speedway part of the business that they have cast off.

Sad day, feel for all you Rye fans. Use to love my visits there first back in the day when The Fen Tigers were the rivals then in latter years when Kings Lynn and Rye did battle.

Dominoe effect ?

13 minutes ago, ch958 said:

why 'watered down'? all you need is four competent performers of similar standard to race each other and its as good as it gets.

Currently we have an arms race which will end in mutually assured destruction

properly organised and publicised such a league could ensure survival. I'd like to have a top league and a div 2 but can't see how it will happen, therefore prune the whole thing back.

Don't forget tracks who can afford it can run open individual meetings and invite who they want 

I AM just telling you that there are promoters who think it would be financial suicide to go down a certain route. 

1 minute ago, semion said:

Phil, has the Star done an interview with Uncle Lennie ?  Being a Speedway man through and through I do wonder if Silver has some kind of buy back agreement included so if the thing went ** up he would take it back at a price of course. Then again I guess it just the Speedway part of the business that they have cast off.

Sad day, feel for all you Rye fans. Use to love my visits there first back in the day when The Fen Tigers were the rivals then in latter years when Kings Lynn and Rye did battle.

Dominoe effect ?

NO but why would Len or anyone for that matter want to spend money on a business that, in its current form, has already been administered the last rites?

9 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I AM just telling you that there are promoters who think it would be financial suicide to go down a certain route. 

Yet they've already gone down it.. and guess what.. it's been financial suicide.

The year on year weakening of the league, whilst maintaining the same prices, or putting them up has been a massive contributer to fans walking away.

Throw in the shambolic way the sport is run, the shenanigans from the south coast and the problem was made worse.

Throw in the growth of double uppers, the lack of team identity.

Fixed race nights would have been a good idea many years back when there was a strong product to promote. 

Fixed race nights with sub standard teams for a premium price was and is doomed to failure. 

The sport is so far gone now the only option is, as many have said, to basically try and start again and work upwards. Even that may not work such is the damage done.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

Yet they've already gone down it.. and guess what.. it's been financial suicide.

The year on year weakening of the league, whilst maintaining the same prices, or putting them up has been a massive contributer to fans walking away.

Throw in the shambolic way the sport is run, the chananigans from the south coast and the problem was made worse.

Throw in the growth of double uppers, the lack of team identity.

Fixed race nights would have been a good idea many years back when there was a strong product to promote. 

Fixed race nights with sub standard teams for a premium price was and is doomed to failure. 

The sport is so far gone now the only option is, as many have said, to basically try and start again and work upwards. Even that may not work such is the damage done.

AGREE but you still need people prepared to finance it and, right now, it's not a very attractive proposition.

8 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I'd be intrigued to know what alternative they think is possible. Perhaps they could just go off and run their little fantasy while the rest of speedway rebuilds on sane lines?

That's three times now my Rockets have died. My worry this time is that it is the stadium leaseholders involved and any replacement future promotion would have to deal with them rather than a third party, as is usually the case in speedway. One promotion goes and a replacement does a deal with the landlords. It's not so easy this time. 

I tried to prepare people for the worst..........

Edited by RobMcCaffery

Does the promoters   licence now go back to the BSPA ? And are the people involved barred from holding a license in the future? 

Buster as Chairman has no more input into running British Speedway than any other promoter. The Chairman of an organisation basically plans and controls meetings with support of the Secretary. Sometimes a Chairman may be given a stalemate busting vote but I have no idea if Buster does. The Promoters of the Premiership vote on all matters concerning the Premiership and the Championship Promoters vote on all matters concerning the Championship.

At the AGM every year every club has the option of applying to race in the Premiership or the Championship and Rye House had the option of joining the Championship but they decided to change their race night and stay in the Premiership, so the current situation is entirely of their own making.

Can anybody honestly say that the thing they have put onto the centre green has had no effect on the attendances at Rye House?

People should be putting the blame for the current situation at Rye House down to the Rye House Promotion.

Just now, RobMcCaffery said:

I'd be intrigued to know what alternative they think is possible.

THAT'S easy. Walk away and stop losing money. In the case of Rye House, an estimated £10,000 per meeting.