British Speedway Forum

45 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I went a few weeks ago against Kent, and there looked to be about 200 there. A mixture of Coventry, Leicester, Kent and a few neutral fans, like me.

We had to miss that one as we were on holiday so it would have been 202 and 2 dogs .

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, June01 said:

Random question based on reading the vast majority of this thread. Who is making the most money from speedway right at this moment in time? One company or individual must still be sitting pretty, so who is it?

All this rider move talk, after the sad demise of another track..... The words PARASITE & VULTURE come into my head - is it only me?

This would be the same teams that appeared to offer no compromise to the Rye House situation.

ALSO are the new prospective employers willing to offer the "super duper" guarantees that they were on @ Rye. 

• Like 1

The only people who make money in speedway are the tuners and stadium owners without both we woud be screwed .

51 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

The only people who make money in speedway are the tuners and stadium owners without both we woud be screwed .

I don't think the sport would be screwed without tuners, the riders would simply have to learn how to repair and maintain their own engines. 'The Dean Machine' will testify that! As for the stadium owners making money, not sure about that. You would hope the rent they receive from the promoters covers their costs, but a lot of stadium owners would probably love to flog the stadium to a development company for a nice tidy pay off!   

16 minutes ago, startline sid said:

Once again our sport has been hit with a so called 'business man' who has loads of money and will change everything 'for the good' (what happened to the 5 year plan) and then the usual thing happens the money isn't there and club is finished. Do these people not realise while they are on their ego trip what they are doing to the lives of people who have supported their club for years (win or lose home and away) - they are not usually interested in the sport itself (its history etc) and somehow manage to destroy something  that has taken years of hard work (often by volunteers) to build up. I am sure of one thing if Len still ran the club (and I know he didn't always get things right) we would still be watching speedway at Rye every week because quite simply he still has a passion for the sport which many so called promotors do not have these days.

Yes can never criticise Len for his enthusiasm for the club.

I started seeing Hackney Hawks as a young 16 year old in 1970 and then Rye a little later (when i had more money to afford the travel oorm Hackney and the entrance fee). We use to goad and take the Mickey out of Len as we were always promised big riders like Michaneck who didnt arrive 2 weeks on the bounce (and never did) and our  replacement was.... Finn Thomsen.

We used to laugh/joke and have banter from the terrace on to the centre green/track with good old Len. But we turned up every week, took it in good heart and was all part of the sport. If it wasnt for Len then there wouldnt have been Hackney/Rye. So much as we got frustrated (in a fun way) we always got our speedway fix with riders trying their best and within a budget Len could afford to keep the club going.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, startline sid said:

Once again our sport has been hit with a so called 'business man' who has loads of money and will change everything 'for the good' (what happened to the 5 year plan) and then the usual thing happens the money isn't there and club is finished. Do these people not realise while they are on their ego trip what they are doing to the lives of people who have supported their club for years (win or lose home and away) - they are not usually interested in the sport itself (its history etc) and somehow manage to destroy something  that has taken years of hard work (often by volunteers) to build up. I am sure of one thing if Len still ran the club (and I know he didn't always get things right) we would still be watching speedway at Rye every week because quite simply he still has a passion for the sport which many so called promotors do not have these days.

Complete sense I was highly criticised for saying exactly this halfway through the first BMR season. Yes Len Silver had some faults show me someone who hasn’t. He had a great love and imensece knowledge for not only the sport but Rye House too. BMR have proved that the grass is not always greener. Just surprising that so many were taken in by BMR. Easy to blame the BSPA but the reality is BMR got rid of the long bar, they made spectating worse, they made the wrong decision regarding what league to run in for all the wrong readons. They accepted midweek racing and put out a sub standard team. The punters voted with their feet because of those decisions not as the result of the Annual conference

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gemini said:

You must have the wrong info as surely it is all Mick Horton's fault?  He usually gets the blame for everything that's happened. :P

Horton got somethings wrong but personally I blame Martin Ochiltree 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghosty said:

All this rider move talk, after the sad demise of another track..... The words PARASITE & VULTURE come into my head - is it only me?

This would be the same teams that appeared to offer no compromise to the Rye House situation.

ALSO are the new prospective employers willing to offer the "super duper" guarantees that they were on @ Rye. 

Are you for real?The riders are out of work because Rye made big mistakes.Nobody else is to blame.And because Rye made poor business deals,there is no reason others should follow and sign riders on extortionate wages or do you want another club to get into financial trouble as well?

Not sure throwing the blame in the direction of BMR is wholly fair, although some of the decisions made were poor to say the least, the moto cross track is an example. Only one year ago we were all enjoying big crowds there.........on a Saturday night. 

Wednesday racing has crucified us, and no mistake, and with no vote at the agm, it does not seem as though BMR had much choice.

Yes, in hindsight, second division speedway suited us more, but at least the owners had some ambition, all those talking fondly about Len, and calling for his return are conveniently forgetting the last few seasons of going through the motions, the dreadful teams, and the crowds leaving in droves, remember the "if you dont like it, dont bother coming" quote of his ?

I, like many, are devastated by this, but if lessons can be learned, and sustainable speedway can be brought back..........on a SATURDAY night, i will be back like a shot.

• Like 4

Hope you guys get Champ speedway on a Sat night in 2019, and enjoy your speedway, with decent crowds :t: 

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Hope you guys get Champ speedway on a Sat night in 2019, and enjoy your speedway, with decent crowds :t: 

Agree but under current rules this can’t happen. Debts need to be cleared first.

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Agree but under current rules this can’t happen. Debts need to be cleared first.

So, why can football clubs park their debts and rise from the ashes? If the promoting company is a limited company and has no money, the entity (Ltd company) is liquidated and that is that. The only chance debtors will have, is if the director(s) signed directors guarantees against their personal assets.  

15 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

So, why can football clubs park their debts and rise from the ashes? If the promoting company is a limited company and has no money, the entity (Ltd company) is liquidated and that is that. The only chance debtors will have, is if the director(s) signed directors guarantees against their personal assets.  

I read on here somewhere that practice days will continue. Not sure they have gone bust.

30 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

But if the banks called all the Premier league clubs money in they would all be skint.

• Confused 1