British Speedway Forum

One of my local clubs rye house have gone. Lakeside and Eastbourne have one home meeting this month. What the hell is going on, do the promoters want to kill off what little fan base they have left. At least Len still runs regular meetings at Kent. No traffic jams tonight, please!

• Like 1

I was talking to a speedway rider this morning who used to ride in the 70's and I used to sponsor him and he thinks the only way the sport can continue is on an amateur basis like it was when he first started. The riders costs are too high resulting in them needing payment for riding/points that the promotions cannot afford with current attendances.

He says riders would have to cut their cloth to suit and promoters need to be transparent about their costs and finances so that supporters trust them. Unfortunately a generation of supporters have been lost and he doesn't see a way of attracting new fans at current prices for a family with the entertainment value on offer.

We had a very interesting conversation and he talked a lot of sense not that we agreed on everything!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ChrisSimpson said:

Yeah we never got paid up, so I'm sure new people coming in don't clear all the debts.

And i thought you were his mate !

2 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

Collectively the owners of clubs ought to take a step back and perhaps take on board some of the views from the most important asset critics and source of income, the customers. It just seems like they are burying their head in the sand and treating generally most with such contempt that even harden supporters are drifting away.

Most if not all on this forum want the sport to survive and thrive but it is just not happening. Those in charge need to ask the customers what is wrong but you can ignore them at your peril. 

The powers that be in UK speedway have already ignored the customers for years, that is until enough of them walked away to seriously unbalance a few clubs and destroy one. No-one on the forum does want to see speedway cease to exist but their opinions and ideas on the product continue to unheard. I hope this really is a warts and all discussion a la the Cabinet at Chequers. Because the problems of our sport are almost as serious as those of the country.

• Like 1

If you charge top dollar for a crap product then people won't pay it. Wether it's in a department store, a food outlet or speedway. Joe public has had enough and is walking away. The promoters are not capable of grasping this.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TesarRacing said:

I was talking to a speedway rider this morning who used to ride in the 70's and I used to sponsor him and he thinks the only way the sport can continue is on an amateur basis like it was when he first started. The riders costs are too high resulting in them needing payment for riding/points that the promotions cannot afford with current attendances.

He says riders would have to cut their cloth to suit and promoters need to be transparent about their costs and finances so that supporters trust them. Unfortunately a generation of supporters have been lost and he doesn't see a way of attracting new fans at current prices for a family with the entertainment value on offer.

We had a very interesting conversation and he talked a lot of sense not that we agreed on everything!

And there lies the problem, BSPA don't seem to listen to ex riders.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, sugarray said:

And there lies the problem, BSPA don't seem to listen to ex riders.

Nor 'ex fans'...

Nor 'current fans'...

Nor 'current fans soon to be ex fans'....

A very strange way to run a business.,.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

If you charge top dollar for a crap product then people won't pay it. Wether it's in a department store, a food outlet or speedway. Joe public has had enough and is walking away. The promoters are not capable of grasping this.

The sport is on such hard times that apparently, next time I visit King's Lynn I'm gonna be "outted" and banned because of my views on the club.

5 hours ago, cityrebel said:

One of my local clubs rye house have gone. Lakeside and Eastbourne have one home meeting this month. What the hell is going on, do the promoters want to kill off what little fan base they have left. At least Len still runs regular meetings at Kent. No traffic jams tonight, please!

My best time to go to speedway is at the weekend. Right now, the only weekend tracks that are within 100 miles of me are Stoke and Coventry (at Leicester)!

8 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

My best time to go to speedway is at the weekend. Right now, the only weekend tracks that are within 100 miles of me are Stoke and Coventry (at Leicester)!

But even when Rye ran at the weekend I thought you said you only went about 2 times in 20 years!!!!Rye can hardly run successfully based on that sort of fan base

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

The sport is on such hard times that apparently, next time I visit King's Lynn I'm gonna be "outted" and banned because of my views on the club.

Make a noise and let me know on the handicapped bench ( nearest to the start ) and I will hobble out with you. There will be NO "apology' or begging to be let back in!

According to who? Whilst I don't always agree with some of your views at all, it seems utter madness that teams would ban somebody because they don't sing from the merry band of men hymn sheet.

Iv'e seen posters of you up around the stadium:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

But even when Rye ran at the weekend I thought you said you only went about 2 times in 20 years!!!!Rye can hardly run successfully based on that sort of fan base

Here we go again, having to put you straight yet again. .

I started out as a fan of the Rockets at Rayleigh in 1971 and was a loyal supporter for the next three decades. In 1999 I was part of the team that revived the Rockets and despite ill-health presented all of the Rockets' 'home' meetings that season.

In 2000 the Silver promotion took over from us and that meant the return to Rye House as part of his management team someone who I detested even more than nasty idiots like you. I worked at Mildenhall and Boston/King's Lynn during 2000 then moved to my current home, about a 250 mile round trip to Rye House. With the management still including the person I refused to have any dealings with I stayed away and tried to build a new life away from speedway. Sadly my love of the sport saw me start going again, to tracks local to me in the west country and west midlands. 

When BMR took over I was delighted at now being able to return to Rye House, Unfortunately ill-health and an inability to work ruled out £50 trips (fuel and admission). 

Despite recent hospitalisation I was keen to get to the track this year and was all set to go over in July.

If I am such a poor 'fan' how come I was asked to write a substantial part of the eulogy for Kelvin Mullarkey's funeral, which I would have delivered in person had I not been 400 miles away in Cornwall convalescing from my latest hospitalisation.

You really are scum.