British Speedway Forum

6 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

It does seem odd that because Rye want to race their home meetings on a Saturday they are unable to fulfill an away fixture.

Quite agree. There are obviously more problems than fans are privy to. I know gates are down at mid week home meetings so finances must be playing a big part in the problems at the moment.  I really fear for our existence at present. Many of us fans wanted the club to stay in the Championship, more meetings, more local(ish) derbys, as much as we like seeing big name riders I believe the Championship is where we should be.  Better still let the 2 leagues join up, meet each other in the league once at home and away, add in a Knock out Cup with teams drawn from the hat and perhaps a few a individual/local derby cups and you would get racing from Easter to end of September every week, and to encourage younger fans one child under 16 £1 entry with a full paying adult.  Rider numbers might be a problem so cut the riders to 6 per team and bring in some youngsters from the National league, as long as team averages can be evenly matched. 

• Thanks 1

Is it just the Speedway that has been cancelled at Hoddesdon or all the other activities as well ?   Speedway Club In trouble or the actual company that owns the site ?  I assume they are sent up as different Companies

1 hour ago, KrisB said:

Crowds are down at Poole and that has nothing to do with FRN

That's because Poole are crap at the moment

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KrisB said:

Crowds are down at Poole and that has nothing to do with FRN

Because there not winning glory hunters they are

3 hours ago, capone said:

like a load of vultures.....hoping for a rye house collapse,  so their own team  will benifit

Thats  desperate Poole fans for you.

1 hour ago, MANSE said:

Why is SWINDON being allowed to run outwith  PL fixed race nights and RYE HOUSE cant so looks like some can do what they want and others cant

Van Stratten and Ford got the race nights they wanted so that's all that matters.

24 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

That's because Poole are crap at the moment

At least we can still get a crowd, we dont have to count ours.

• Sad 1

Whilst we all want to see Rye pull through, there could be one major problem with getting their way if they were to allow them to race at home on a Saturday.

Some are displaying a what the hell if the odd rider is missing attitude, but let's dig  bit deeper on the possible implications, as although we don't attract all the big stars now, this is the possible number of riders each visiting team could lose out of their seven current riders, as no way they will race UK on a Saturday for one reason or another related to POL as well as other continental possible commitments.

Belle Vue 5 - Leicester 3 - Rye House 1 KK - Swindon 4 maybe 5 at times - Kings Lynn 2 - Poole 6 yes 6 and maybe even 7 with Worrall getting odd rides out there - Somerset 2/3 - Wolves 2

Not as easy as it sounds initially.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

Does it REALLY matter if some teams might be a rider short if Rye House run on a Saturday or Belle Vue on a Friday or Swindon on a Thursday.

Does it REALLY matter if your team finishes 2nd, 3rd or 4th

I suggest it REALLY matters that 8 teams finish the season at the correct time

YES it does if you're running a team sport, because we all know it's not "a rider", how often have we seen teams run r/r and 3 or 4 guests. FRN is the right way to go, it should be run on the night that is most favourable to the club though, if that means do away with foreign/GP riders so be it

6 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Whilst we all want to see Rye pull through, there could be one major problem with getting their way if they were to allow them to race at home on a Saturday.

Some are displaying a what the hell if the odd rider is missing attitude, but let's dig  bit deeper on the possible implications, as although we don't attract all the big stars now, this is the possible number of riders each visiting team could lose out of their seven current riders, as no way they will race UK on a Saturday for one reason or another related to POL as well as other continental possible commitments.

Belle Vue 5 - Leicester 3 - Rye House 1 KK - Swindon 4 maybe 5 at times - Kings Lynn 2 - Poole 6 yes 6 and maybe even 7 with Worrall getting odd rides out there - Somerset 2/3 - Wolves 2

Not as easy as it sounds initially.

Absolutely spot on it has big implications on visiting teams if Rye switch to Saturday nights - that’s said we don’t want to see the club close mid season but it could have a massive effect on the race for the play offs for visiting teams - in all honesty I will be surprised if they let the club switch race nights - the real only ways to get a level playing field 1 they carry on with week night racing or 2 and I don’t like saying this is they close and the meetings ridden are void . If they switch to Saturdays it’s going to have a big knock on effect with visiting teams . That said we definitely don’t want Rye to close - I’m just trying to look at it from other promotions point of view . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Haza said:

Absolutely spot on it has big implications on visiting teams if Rye switch to Saturday nights - that’s said we don’t want to see the club close mid season but it could have a massive effect on the race for the play offs for visiting teams - in all honesty I will be surprised if they let the club switch race nights - the real only ways to get a level playing field 1 they carry on with week night racing or 2 and I don’t like saying this is they close and the meetings ridden are void . If they switch to Saturdays it’s going to have a big knock on effect with visiting teams . That said we definitely don’t want Rye to close - I’m just trying to look at it from other promotions point of view . 

I don't look on it as "switching" I see it as "going back to". Yes it will create problems for this year but if these problems can, with a bit of effort, give and take and goodwill from every quarter, fans included, be sorted out surely that has to be better than losing another team.  If that's not possible and the problems are more than just race night then let's hope Rye can come back on a sound footing in 2019.  In the mean time will the BSPA please wake up and try to see the trees through the fog.

10 minutes ago, Haza said:

As Belle Vue are the only team to win at Rye this season, we stand to lose more points than the others, every effort should be sort to keep Rye in the Prem for the remainder of this season, if they choose to go down a league next year then sobeit, but these fixed race nights are not working in British speedway and that includes Belle Vue.

• Like 1

The problems are far more than FRN for Speedway in general , the disjointed fixture list, run down stadiums and poor promotion of the sport are just a-few.

the attendances at Workington have been very poor for many years but we manage to somehow get to another season......2019 not a hope I fear.

Edited by topaz325
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

I don't look on it as "switching" I see it as "going back to". Yes it will create problems for this year but if these problems can, with a bit of effort, give and take and goodwill from every quarter, fans included, be sorted out surely that has to be better than losing another team.  If that's not possible and the problems are more than just race night then let's hope Rye can come back on a sound footing in 2019.  In the mean time will the BSPA please wake up and try to see the trees through the fog.

I’m in total agreement I definitely have no wish to see any club close - all I’m saying some other promotions may not see it the same way as the Rye promotion or us speedway fans - hopefully goodwill rather than self interest will prevail at BSPA HQ we shall see .