British Speedway Forum

18 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Either way is debatable. You only have to look at the excitement and crowds when Emil signed for Coventry albeit for a short spell. Crowds went up big time when he was in town.

No doubt Vaculik would have created a similar buzz. Crowds will be up that’s for sure. It’s the cost of speedway that seems to be the issue.

I think the sport has deteriorated rapidly since Emil rode for Coventry. Without lucrative sponsorship and a big TV deal, I don't see how the top league can afford the better riders.

I don't go to Speedway to see so-called big names, I go because it's Rye House v Whoever. I go to see the 7 Rye riders against 7 riders from the opposition. How many times have a Team turned up only for their star man to have been injured last night in Sweden/Denmark/Poland etc. I won't go if it is pre-publicised that the away side are running R/R + 2 guests. I also think that if a rider is going to be out injured for more than 28 days, then they should be forced to sign someone else instead of running R/R all season. It is nice to have riders such as Bomber, Scotty & KK at Rye, but I would be just as happy to have say, Wells, Shanes & Garrity riding, as it would still be 7 Rye riders. I think most people go to Speedway to watch a match, not individual riders.  On  a previous post about fans stop going after LA left Swindon, why didn't they all return when Doyle(so called star name) was there. It isn't about Star names anymore, it's about 7 Riders in a Team, on a night that suits and continuity of a fixture list. 

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I think the sport has deteriorated rapidly since Emil rode for Coventry. Without lucrative sponsorship and a big TV deal, I don't see how the top league can afford the better riders.

I bet Coventry still lost money on the deal knowing what that little guy wants to ride.

The reason crowds are dropping isas people are dying and not replaced a yonger generation of fans.A look at the crowd would sugest they are watching crown green bowls. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The reason crowds are dropping isas people are dying and not replaced a yonger generation of fans.A look at the crowd would sugest they are watching crown green bowls. 

Agreed Steve it’s like a lot of sports now kept going by the grey pound.

1 hour ago, hammer1969 said:

I like to see the big names riding but what I want more than anything is a team consisting of the same riders competing weekly and good close racing.  I also love watching the youngsters racing (junior championships etc) they seem to really want to be there. At the moment my dream is at Cardiff a big name exceeds the 2 minutes/tapes etc, Dan Bewley gets a ride, flies from the gate and wins the race, I reckon the fans will go wild - I can but dream - anyone like to give the odds on it happening (please don't ruin my day by rubishing my dream)

It's a great dream and not highly improbable. Anyone who makes the start may well hold on for the win. Dan certainly could. You will see that happen and I hope it's this year!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foamfence said:

While it's very likely that crowd numbers would rise, it's debatable whether it would be in sufficient numbers to cover the cost involved. 

And no current promoter wants to roll the dice and lay out the cash.  So none of them will. Whichever way they decide to go in 2019 the decline cannot be stopped. Any future speedway in the UK will only be after the big re-structuring which is inevitable.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 12:58 PM, Halifaxtiger said:

Sadly, and from every source I have ever heard, its fact. 

All very well, but for how long, unless you have a multi million pound business to prop up Speedway its financial suicide.

Edited by topaz325

1 hour ago, rocket007 said:

I don't go to Speedway to see so-called big names, I go because it's Rye House v Whoever. I go to see the 7 Rye riders against 7 riders from the opposition. How many times have a Team turned up only for their star man to have been injured last night in Sweden/Denmark/Poland etc. I won't go if it is pre-publicised that the away side are running R/R + 2 guests. 

The bigger picture isn’t about what you go to see ,it is about what the majority go to see.Thought it was stated as fact that when Rye moved up the crowds were far bigger than anyone had seen there for donkeys years?Same as it has been stated that when Swindon went down they had poor crowds like nobody had ever seen since.That tells a story of its own!!!

As someone came up with the brilliant opinion that it doesn’t matter where your team finishes why bother with a pints limit and let teams have carte blanche to field the team they can afford?If Rye can only afford rubbish,then let them put a poor team out.But then nobody should complain or block another team having a couple of star riders.The trouble we have is because some can’t field a decent team everyone has to get dragged down to that level

6 hours ago, iris123 said:

Strange that it is Rob Mc who on one thread was asking if someone could pm him the name and has now on here named the person a couple of times now he has found out who it is.Surely his posts should be deleted and he sits out a ban for putting that on this forum?

just saying

I can think of someone who should be in the same boat as regards his Bullying and Trolling.

I wonder who that could be?

Just saying.............................

8 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

I can think of someone who should be in the same boat as regards his Bullying and Trolling.

I wonder who that could be?

Just saying.............................

Looks like you fit the bill stalking me again.Defending someone naming an accused without trial I guess?

Has to be said

Edited by iris123

Bring the big names back and that will increase the crowds ..

Brilliant...

How much would it cost to get in then?

Or would we keep the same admission fee and run three man teams?:D

Three man teams that run every fifth Monday and every third Thursday of the summer to accomodate all the No1's collective Global itinerary...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, iris123 said:

The bigger picture isn’t about what you go to see ,it is about what the majority go to see.Thought it was stated as fact that when Rye moved up the crowds were far bigger than anyone had seen there for donkeys years?Same as it has been stated that when Swindon went down they had poor crowds like nobody had ever seen since.That tells a story of its own!!!

As someone came up with the brilliant opinion that it doesn’t matter where your team finishes why bother with a pints limit and let teams have carte blanche to field the team they can afford?If Rye can only afford rubbish,then let them put a poor team out.But then nobody should complain or block another team having a couple of star riders.The trouble we have is because some can’t field a decent team everyone has to get dragged down to that level

That's a novelty thing when teams move up leagues. When you realise the aesthetics haven't changed people disappear again.

Same with teams going down. 

King's Lynn had better crowds than now in the old Premier League. Every fan felt part of the club and included.

Soon as the people that included the fans left the club, the place just feels so subdued and people have walked away.

Ultimately, value for money is the most important. 

Some say the change of race night has been Belle Vue's problem. It may well just be the novelty of a shiny new stadium has worn off and people are not seeing any value in the sport.

I returned to speed way 3 years ago after an absence of 14 years. I didn't know any of the riders names or wether they were top riders or not , I just enjoyed the racing. What did shock me was the number of guest riders, even at reserve and I hesitate to attend now if there is more than 1 guest riding. I want to watch my team  not a random collection of riders. To my mind there are several reasons for speed ways decline,

1) the lack of publicity locally and nationally

2) the excessive use of guest riders. How can you associate yourself with a team that is not yours

3) I like r/r but in its current form is not fit for purpose.

• Like 2