British Speedway Forum
False dawn

Stan Mauger

Stan Mauger is listed on the Bees Website History as riding for Coventry in 1929 and 1931. He is also listed as an

Englishman.

I can't find anything about him and with such an unusual surname, I was wondering if he was related to Ivan.

Guest compost

Stan Mauger is listed on the Bees Website History as riding for Coventry in 1929 and 1931. He is also listed as an

Englishman.

I can't find anything about him and with such an unusual surname, I was wondering if he was related to Ivan.

Sorry FalseDawn can't help you on your question regarding Ivan. Just wanted to add he rode at Coventry 1929 to 1933. Mainly reserve/second halves.

I visited the excellent SPEEDWAY RESEARCHER and found the following Link. There are mentions of Stan Mauger as being one of the track's riders, but I cannot seem to find a mention of him in the actual 1929 match results.

http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/coventry1929.pdf

Page 10 of the Researcher file. He was reserve when West Ham visited in the League on the 23rd May. 1 ride, 1 point (3rd place) plus 1 bonus (modern day term of course). He rode 9 matches (various competitions) in 1931 for the Bees.

I visited the excellent SPEEDWAY RESEARCHER and found the following Link. There are mentions of Stan Mauger as being one of the track's riders, but I cannot seem to find a mention of him in the actual 1929 match results.

http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/coventry1929.pdf

If you go to the SPECIAL FEATURES section in SPEEDWAY RESEARCHER and look in RIDERS AVERAGES 1929-1962 it shows that Stan Mauger made a single Southern League appearance for Coventry in 1929 and nine in 1931. It would appear from 1931 newspaper reports that he rode mainly in junior or handicap races.

Although unusual in the UK, Mauger is a common surname in Guernsey and Jersey (Channel Islands), with Norman origins.

Although unusual in the UK, Mauger is a common surname in Guernsey and Jersey (Channel Islands), with Norman origins.

Interesting, thank you. But then that begs the question does Ivan's family originate there? And the chance that Stan and Ivan are related looks even more likely.

Interesting, thank you. But then that begs the question does Ivan's family originate there? And the chance that Stan and Ivan are related looks even more likely.

I understand that Ivan's grandparents moved to New Zealand from Guernsey, but I have no information on Stan's ancestry.

• Like 1

He was Stanley Cecil Mauger, b.1906 in Guernsey - he married local girl Evelyn Lilian Prentice in Coventry in 1935

Afraid I cannot trace them after this

• Like 1

Just out of interest,how do they pronounce the name in Guernsey then? :P