Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

How Many Of Us Are Losing Interest.?

Enjoy my speedway now as much as when I started going in 1963 at New Cross.

It helps when my local team Swindon are top of the league, better atmosphere, bigger crowds.

I think our team in general holds its crowd very well and Rosco and Lee Kilby have done great work that often is not mentioned.But i dont know what you think "beefy we have lost quite a few regular supporters we always used to get 1600 plus do we on a consistent basis now.?As i said our club is doing alot to try to get the new supporter in Rossiter/Kilby know that and both do as much as they can press wise on that side both are superb.

Well from this thread we can see as is often the case in life, some are happy others aren't - Not a huge surprise really!

What I would say, if Speedway in the UK was run anything like that in Poland it would see crowds go up massively. I know that's quite the obvious statement but having been able to watch it regularly for the first time this season, it really is a cut above. I don't mean just the top level riders they have, the presentation, the track preparation, the quickness/slickness of how its run. I mean the blueprint is there for the BSPA to follow...

The BSPA don't listen or learn it would appear.To many "fly by night characters" IMO .

I'm 50 years old and first went to Berwick in 1976 as a 9 year old with my dad. Then on 15th April 1977, I was at the opening of Edinburgh's Powderhall Stadium, and continued weekly with my dad until I was a bit older and able to get the bus to Edinburgh, then drive a motorbike and car to the stadium. Gradually later in my teens I began travelling around the UK and soon I had visited every stadium in Britain that was operating. I took weekly or fortnightly speedway trips with mates in my early 20s, driving ridiculous amounts of miles to see speedway the length and breadth of the UK nightly. That in addition to never missing meetings at Edinburgh, as well as travelling to Glasgow, Berwick, Newcastle, and even Middlesborough most weeks too. My weeks in summer revolved around speedway. My weekends were ruined if my team lost at home. I knew every rule in the book, every rider in every team, every average every week of the top 30 riders in each league.

When Powderhall closed at the end of 1995, I travelled to Shawfield to watch the Scottish Monarchs, missing only one match there. Then Armadale opened in 1997 and I attended there every week for years, still doing lots of away meetings too. Going back to the introduction of dirt deflectors, I remember Dick Barrie asking Paul Bentley after a rain sodden first heat at Shawfield in the first ever match there with them what he thought of them. Bentley said he thought there would never be another rained off meeting - they were so good!

But gradually, over the past 10 years or so, things have changed. The rule book became more and more ridiculous, the guests increased. The rain off became more regular. The 100 mile round trip became more of a chore. Edinburgh promoter John Campbell stated only a short number of years ago (maybe 5?) in his programme notes one week that as long as it was dry at start time, a meeting should almost always go ahead. My God, how that has changed! Even a shower now will cause an abandonment. The rules have become too difficult for me, a university honours degree graduate, to follow. I still attend weekly home matches. Away trips to the likes of Newcastle or Berwick happen once a year now. If at all. Glasgow has been dropped totally. Ashfield was a place I went to weekly in the late 90s, just to see fantastic racing. Now, it's one-line follow the leader.

Am I losing interest then? BIG TIME! But, only in UK speedway. Others before in this thread have mentioned subscriptions to Polish TV. I have one too. Ten years ago, I went to a GP in Bydgozszcz for the 1st time. It was awesome, but I didn't think about it too much afterwards. Then I went back the following year, then again and again. Poland now features annually for speedway trips with some mates. But I've seen speedway in Czech Rep, Denmark and Sweden as well as in Finland this summer.

I now want to visit all the Polish tracks I can. I've already been to around 10 of them, and am eagerly awaiting next year's fixtures to plan more trips. Yes, it's far away and means weekends away from the family. But it has so many plusses, in addition to the quality of the racing and the amazing stadiums. It's a genuinely beautiful country, with genuinely warm and lovely people, gorgeous towns and cities, and above all, it's affordable.

In 2018, I doubt I will go to any speedway in Scotland or Britain. Our sport here is run by complete idiots. Numpties, self-centred fools who have only their own self interest at heart. Fans are deserting the sport here left, right and centre, yet they simply introduce even crazier rules. I've very, very nearly had enough. I don't know even who races in each team now, it's got so silly with guests.

So, yes, I've had enough. Of UK speedway. But I still look forward hugely to GPs on TV, and to Sunday speedway from the Polish channels through my wizja.tv subscription.

Next season, even if I only take 3 or 4 trips to Poland, I am 100% certain I will see racing that eclipses many times the quality of what I'd see in a whole season of UK speedway. Sorry to be negative about the sport here. But what we have here in 2017 simply is not the same sport I fell in love with in the 70s.

That sums it up well for a lot of supporters,espiecially the John Campbell statement.(how wrong he is).I won't go near a meeting if there is a cloud in the sky these days. Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

I was planning to go to Belle Vue on Friday, but when I saw the team sheet, full of guests and RR, I changed my mind and didn't go.

I think our team in general holds its crowd very well and Rosco and Lee Kilby have done great work that often is not mentioned.But i dont know what you think "beefy we have lost quite a few regular supporters we always used to get 1600 plus do we on a consistent basis now.?As i said our club is doing alot to try to get the new supporter in Rossiter/Kilby know that and both do as much as they can press wise on that side both are superb.

Around 9000 went through the Shabbey's rusty gates for those 4 dates in 11 days recently, but if Swindon had stayed second bottom would have been a lot less, some poor crowds in first half of season, until they went on that record winning run. They need that new stadium to keep the fans coming.

Far better crowds when Leigh Adams was riding.

I went to my first speedway meeting, aged 3 months, at Rye House in 1954. My parents moved to Southfields in 1957 and we started going to Wimbledon within a few weeks. During the next few of decades we went to meetings at New Cross, Hackney, Wembley, White City, Reading, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Oxford and Crayford. We also went to a similar number of Stock Car tracks and enjoyed both sports equally.

As tracks in London closed I spent time living in Basildon and Skegness and saw racing at Arena Essex, Peterborough, Kings Lynn and Skegness. Now I am back living near Wimbledon and sadly went to most of the last season of car racing there. I no longer drive a car and this restricts me to Rye House for Speedway, Aldershot for Stock Cars and a few other meetings when I can get a lift from a friend.

As I am a railway enthusiast I volunteer as a guard on the Mid Hants railway which means I can not attend Saturday meetings so I have been pleased they have been racing midweek meetings recently. I just hope they keep to midweek dates next year so I can continue watching some great racing.

The two posters don't follow the sport at all.

One has confirmed on numerous threads he hasn't the slightest clue about current speedway, it's teams or the riders. He is in absolutely no position to discuss the sport's problems as he stopped going almost 15 years ago due to relocating and hasn't paid a jot of interest since. His only posts on this forum are discussing things back in the day. Yes, there is a place for that, but it has zero relevance to a discussion of 'Are you losing interest in speedway'.

The other is someone who spends his time running down the sport and this forum.

Yourself, that's a completely different issue, you do follow the sport, you are up to speed with all teams, riders, developments and if a keen passionate fan such as yourself finds his interest waning, that's a worry.

My point stands however, if you spend a lot of time on this forum reading all the whingers you will fall out of love with the sport a hell of a lot quicker. I know that from personal experience.

...I think that you need to read my previous comment whereby I often talk to past and present fans and/or riders and/or mechanics in my workplace and therefore not totally ignorant as you apparently think.

Agreed that I don't have a 'personal' working experience of present day speedway but the fact that I talk to others who do doesn't mean I'm totally unaware of what's happening in the world of speedway.

Edited by steve roberts

​Have I done something right BSFwise? At the last count I had 11 LIKES on my views in regard to losing interest in speedway topic. And again I emphasise I have not lost interest in speedway - what I have lost interest in is the way the sport is presented and managed these days. And obviously as it is now 71 years since I first saw speedway at New Cross (1946 season) I think that I am permitted to express an opinion on the sport's 'rights and wrongs'?

Waheyyy, thank goodness for the club fans who love their speedway! Never, ever the same after you have lost your team, the passion dies!

No it doesn't - I lost my Track 43 years ago but I still enjoy watching it on the Television.

I must admit sometimes it feels like I go out of habit rather than enjoyment.

A few years ago I used to stand with a group of about ten people now its down to about four or five at best, a few weeks ago I was there on my own.

My girlfriend usually goes but this season she usually spends more time on her phone or reading a book! Her reasons for not enjoying it as much these past few years, too much tractor racing, long drawn out meetings, no atmosphere and the racing is usually processional and fewer people in the social group who used to be there.

If I do got away meetings its only to Glasgow, Belle Vue or Sheffield......I wonder why?

Around 9000 went through the Shabbey's rusty gates for those 4 dates in 11 days recently, but if Swindon had stayed second bottom would have been a lot less, some poor crowds in first half of season, until they went on that record winning run. They need that new stadium to keep the fans coming.

Far better crowds when Leigh Adams was riding.

I think you are wrong those crowds over those four meetings are false and also if you love speedway should it matter if you are first or bottom.? are we all that fickle.? The new stadium for me is pie in the sky cant see it happening rather it stayed at the shabby anyway hope i am wrong and the new stadium happens but we shall see.

Too much time on this forum listening to the whinges and whining will certainly make you begin to lose interest.

Especially when it's populated by folks such as the last two posters on a thread asking if they are 'losing interest' when they lost interest 10+ years ago.

Sure the sport has issues, but personally, I can't wait for the next GP and equally can't wait to get to England for the play-offs.

However, please fix the doubling up issue for next year so teams can have a regular 1-7!!

Quite agree. You have the same old repeating the same stuff thread after thread, and when one thread dies down another one starts and they all move to the new one. Yes, there are problems, but all sports have certain problems, but their fans don't go on and on and ..........

Different people want different things so a consensus on issues cannot really be established. Raise the leagues points, or lower them. Keep laydowns, bring back the uprights. Race suits or back to black. 13, 14. 15 16 or 18 heats per meeting. Bring back second halfs. Usual race night or a previous one. Guests, no guests. Bring on the youths or weak foreigners.

If YOU were a promoter would you try to implement some of the things suggested, and like Labour's manifesto, clean out the treasury like in 2010. No matter what you think on issues, you have to accept you are wrong in the eye of the critics.Yes promoters get things wrong, and it frustrates me as well, but sometimes the problem and their solutions are internally not acceptable , whether that is right or wrong or not for publication.

• Like 1

Quite agree. You have the same old repeating the same stuff thread after thread, and when one thread dies down another one starts and they all move to the new one. Yes, there are problems, but all sports have certain problems, but their fans don't go on and on and ..........

Different people want different things so a consensus on issues cannot really be established. Raise the leagues points, or lower them. Keep laydowns, bring back the uprights. Race suits or back to black. 13, 14. 15 16 or 18 heats per meeting. Bring back second halfs. Usual race night or a previous one. Guests, no guests. Bring on the youths or weak foreigners.

If YOU were a promoter would you try to implement some of the things suggested, and like Labour's manifesto, clean out the treasury like in 2010. No matter what you think on issues, you have to accept you are wrong in the eye of the critics.Yes promoters get things wrong, and it frustrates me as well, but sometimes the problem and their solutions are internally not acceptable , whether that is right or wrong or not for publication.

You make out people are moaning for the sake of it they are not, most are just FRUSTRATED they know how good the sport is the potential to be better is huge.You are someone i respect and yes lets be positive you always are to your credit but some of the problems there are odvious solutions yet nothing is happening.Also do the fans really get listened to they should do because i dont see a pretty end to our sport in this country unless common sense changes are made.
  • Like 4

You make out people are moaning for the sake of it they are not, most are just FRUSTRATED they know how good the sport is the potential to be better is huge.You are someone i respect and yes lets be positive you always are to your credit but some of the problems there are odvious solutions yet nothing is happening.Also do the fans really get listened to they should do because i dont see a pretty end to our sport in this country unless common sense changes are made.

Your right,it's frustration of things getting worse in a lot of posters mind.I think they have a point .

I think we all know how much you dislike the Labour Party but do you have to keep bringing it up? The subject has been well documented (and will continue to be) on other threads more relevant me thinks!

Edited by steve roberts