British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

How Many Of Us Are Losing Interest.?

On 10/2/2020 at 4:51 PM, iainb said:

Nice... Taking up the slot of a vulnerable person, classy :t:

Are vulnerable people the only ones allowed to have deliveries then? I must have missed that directive.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

Are vulnerable people the only ones allowed to have deliveries then? I must have missed that directive.

No, there is no directive, you don't need a directive to do the decent human thing and think of those not as fortunate as yourself and maybe if you are able to get off your @rse and do your own shopping when there are people out there who are high risk and can't get delivery slots you should

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

Having watched Speedway from late 1940's, the only thing that makes me lose interest is the contempt with which many promoters (the Peterborough BB situation being an example)  seem to treat their customers.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 9:57 AM, topaz325 said:

Yes we need to get fans back next year but come spring time we could well be in the same position as we are now.

I,m afraid if we don,t start the League next March/April some clubs will go under.

I am divided on this Covid argument, lock downs in the shot term work but the virus is not going away and we need to learn to live with it , a bad situation and i,m torn on the best way forward. :neutral:

You sound like me...

The big problem is that we don't have any idea what it will be like in three months, six months, a year, or whatever. The problem is that nobody being allowed to do anything is not a solution...

14 hours ago, iainb said:

No, there is no directive, you don't need a directive to do the decent human thing and think of those not as fortunate as yourself and maybe if you are able to get off your @rse and do your own shopping when there are people out there who are high risk and can't get delivery slots you should

On the flip side...

I go out and do my shopping, and I am surrounded by idiots not taking precautions, or just not being sensible and considerate.

I AM careful, and I DO take precautions, but what if I get infected? No, I'm sure you don't give a crap about me. Actually, I don't either. However, my wife is high-risk, and I don't want her to come down with it. I've already come close to losing her twice this year, and I really don't want to push it.

How do you know the people you are advising to get off their arses aren't in a similar position? I actually know of multiple individuals that are...

You talk about doing the "decent human thing", but you obviously aren't a Christian, as real Christians don't sit on their arses judging others about whom they know nothing...

5 hours ago, chunky said:

On the flip side...

I go out and do my shopping, and I am surrounded by idiots not taking precautions, or just not being sensible and considerate.

I AM careful, and I DO take precautions, but what if I get infected? No, I'm sure you don't give a crap about me. Actually, I don't either. However, my wife is high-risk, and I don't want her to come down with it. I've already come close to losing her twice this year, and I really don't want to push it.

How do you know the people you are advising to get off their arses aren't in a similar position? I actually know of multiple individuals that are...

You talk about doing the "decent human thing", but you obviously aren't a Christian, as real Christians don't sit on their arses judging others about whom they know nothing...

You obviously seem to have some kind of "beef" with me and I don't know why you seem to want to twist what I say. On the face of it you are doing exactly the right thing, my issue would be for somebody to take up the delivery slot of somebody who needed it because they have an issue with wearing a face mask because they feel like they are being put on the naughty step.

On 9/6/2017 at 9:04 AM, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

I was slightly perplexed to read the first two replies were from posters who between them haven't attended a speedway meeting for the best part of 25 years!!! That's not an interest lost - that is just people who attend speedway as often as someone who claims they still shop in Woolworths!

I last attended a speedway meeting on March 8th 2020, when the young riders on display brought back much of my enthusiasm to watch unpredictablel RACING and not the "Hh I missed the gate this time, so I will wait until my next heat and try again then " of domestic league racing that I have paid to watch at Kings Lynn every year since it opened, including 2017 / 18 /19. More and more boring as far as warching racing take place since the turn of the century.

3 hours ago, iainb said:

You obviously seem to have some kind of "beef" with me and I don't know why you seem to want to twist what I say. On the face of it you are doing exactly the right thing, my issue would be for somebody to take up the delivery slot of somebody who needed it because they have an issue with wearing a face mask because they feel like they are being put on the naughty step.

I don't have a "beef" with you; I have a "beef" with your attitude at times. You jump to conclusions, and are judging someone who may have a perfectly valid reason for getting deliveries. It doesn't have to be a case of them not "getting off their arse".

In my case, I think I would be justified in getting deliveries, but I just choose not to. I am just very careful. Other people may be in a similar position, but prefer the extra safety of delivery. They shouldn't be attacked for that, particularly when you don't know the full story.

31 minutes ago, chunky said:

I don't have a "beef" with you; I have a "beef" with your attitude at times. You jump to conclusions, and are judging someone who may have a perfectly valid reason for getting deliveries. It doesn't have to be a case of them not "getting off their arse".

In my case, I think I would be justified in getting deliveries, but I just choose not to. I am just very careful. Other people may be in a similar position, but prefer the extra safety of delivery. They shouldn't be attacked for that, particularly when you don't know the full story.

I can only comment on the information given, the original discussion was about the wearing of face masks at speedway events, the poster said they wouldn't go to Speedway while there were ANY restrictions in place because they felt like they were being put on the naughty step. They then went on to say they had their shopping delivered and didn't offer up any reason why they wouldn't do their own shopping to free up that slot for a vulnerable person. No conclusion was jumped to, In fact the discussion stopped... If they'd come back and said they were in the vulnerable category that's fair enough... That would have been the conclusion. Also, I don't know what Christianity has to do with anything? You can do the decent human thing without being a Christian

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

I’m not losing interest ,but for the last couple of seasons I have started to have a”take or leave it “attitude towards the sport, due to various aspects( which have been well discussed on this forum).No Speedway this season that has probably not helped the situation.Have enjoyed watching Polish Speedway though,but It doesn’t beat watching live,it saves a lot of money though!!

• Like 1

nadir

Edited by Mr. Clemens

On 10/7/2020 at 12:33 PM, iainb said:

I can only comment on the information given, the original discussion was about the wearing of face masks at speedway events, the poster said they wouldn't go to Speedway while there were ANY restrictions in place because they felt like they were being put on the naughty step. They then went on to say they had their shopping delivered and didn't offer up any reason why they wouldn't do their own shopping to free up that slot for a vulnerable person. No conclusion was jumped to, In fact the discussion stopped... If they'd come back and said they were in the vulnerable category that's fair enough... That would have been the conclusion. Also, I don't know what Christianity has to do with anything? You can do the decent human thing without being a Christian

I stopped the conversation by saying you should know what you’re talking about before making accusations, you know nothing about if I or my family are in a vulnerable situation, you just assumed I was taking a slot of a vulnerable person or persons ,I am not going to use my personal or my family health situation on this forum to justify or make a point, that’s why I stopped the conversation there 

I did attend a few meetings this season, but my prog board has now been put away for what could be a very difficult winter. When the sport does finally return, i suspect it will be an entirely different set up to the one we knew before. Finances and stadium availability will dictate the future of speedway in this country.

29 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I did attend a few meetings this season, but my prog board has now been put away for what could be a very difficult winter. When the sport does finally return, i suspect it will be an entirely different set up to the one we knew before. Finances and stadium availability will dictate the future of speedway in this country.

100%..

And as you can guarantee that Poland won't be falling over themselves to put back up the points money to pre Covid levels, (after trying for a good few years to reduce those numbers) it will provide the sport over here with a huge opportunity to reset itself, and make it more 'future fit' in regards to how much it currently pays out v the income it gets..

Whether it takes that opportunity though is obviously another matter, but 'exceptional circumstances' do always provide 'exceptional opportunities' to realign yourself for the better..

Edited by mikebv

29 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

This could lead to the sport cutting it’s cloth accordingly which wouldn’t be a terrible thing. A financially viable model is key going forward and I’d guess the sport hasn’t been financially viable here for a long time.