British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

How Many Of Us Are Losing Interest.?

He hurts me to say this but after first going to speedway in 1968 my interest in the sport is dwindling.I still go to the Abbey every home meeting but at times it is hard after getting home from work to get motiavated to go.I sometimes get there see a good race and the excitement comes back my interest in the sport also went from about 1990 to 96 but i stuck with it.But this winter is a very important one for me i am seriously thinking about picking my meeting's next year as i have other thing's to do now i hope i get the bug back when March comes around again.On Monday i taped the Wolves v Swindon match yet have not even got around to watching that yet that tells you everything does anyone else feel the same as me.?

• Like 5

Yes Sid I haven't been to a speedway since I re-located to York from Oxford back in 2004.

I used to walk to Cowley and the fact that it was so close was the incentive to still go despite the sport going in a direction that I wasn't particularly happy with but it was a chance to meet up with friends on the third bend and have a chat which kept me attending for so long. I gave up attending away meetings during the nineties after having travelled extensively around the country prior to that.

Now living in York I have no desire to get into a car and travel to my nearest track (Sheffield, Scunthorpe or Redcar) and couldn't justify the petrol money never mind the admission price based on 15(?) heats of racing.

However I have great memories of following the sport for over thirty years and regularly watch a DVD (I have an extensive collection) and enjoy looking back recalling some great moments. Not many kids of my age were travelling to London on a weekly basis as we did following 'The Rebels' at Wood Lane as well as watching 'The Cheetahs' and trips to The Abbey to watch 'The Budgies' and days out on the south coast at Arlington.

Edited by steve roberts

Yes Sid I haven't been to a speedway since I re-located to York from Oxford back in 2004.

I used to walk to Cowley and the fact that it was so close was the incentive to still go despite the sport going in a direction that I wasn't particularly happy with but it was a chance to meet up with friends on the third bend and have a chat which kept me attending for so long. I gave up attending away meetings during the nineties after having travelled extensively around the country prior to that.

Now living in York I have no desire to get into a car and travel to my nearest track (Sheffield, Scunthorpe or Redcar) and couldn't justify the petrol money never mind the admission price based on 15(?) heats of racing.

I am much the same as you steve roberts. I haven't seen a speedway meeting since the 2002-5 seasons when I visited Wimbledon. Before that I hadn't seen any speedway since the previous Wimbledon closure in 1992. I briefly watched - I think on BBC TV - a GP from Sweden on a Saturday evening about four or five years ago. I didn't think much of the actual venue. So far as the racing was concerned I knew so little about the riders taking part that in the end I switched to another channel.

I have thought several times about going to Rye House but the complications and several travel changes I would need to get there and more importantly home late at night - I live in the depths of 'sarf' London put me off that as well.

I still have a keen interest in speedway history - from the sport's beginnings probably into the early 1970s. But from then onwards it's all rather meaningless to me. Gone long ago are the days when I practically knew the composition of every team and the background of most riders. Times move on I suppose? And this is the opinion of a speedway follower who saw their first meeting at New Cross in April 1946 - it was New Cross v The Rest in a challenge match as I recall.

Edited by Guest

Me Too Sid - others may say it is because we are growing old and may be also less interested in other things. I don't think it is as simple as that because I too have been watching man and boy since the early 1950s. With serious interest when Ove Fundin arrived at Norwich. I am not gaga and am very interested in other things and other sports. I live only three miles from the KL track and someone picks me up and takes me there so there are no practical difficulties about getting there. Buster even has a disabled section where I can sit on the bench ( with my own cushion ).

So it is the action I see on track which leaves me very disillusioned. Of the 15 heats there are very rarely more than four with any excitement over passing or possible passing. 75% are tapes to flag processions - dull as ditchwater or worse. Too many rules that do nothing to spice up the interest in my brain and entice me to remain in the habit of going. Gardening at the gate is longer than the race - I kid you not! Doubling up - ah well don't get me started on that! r/r or guests all too often. So 4 minutes of thrills for my time and money is inadequate - Thumbs Down for me.

Oddly I have NOT fallen out of love with the sport as I am eager for the next GP where I see much more ferocious determination in the racing ( of course for higher rewards ) and only last night I watched a LIVE Swedish match and a Polish League match which provided more ( a higher % ) of exciting races for me to enjoy. The BSPA have got it all wrong because as a die hard fan like me being turned off, they are unlikely to attract new fans who require more VFM in what leisure activity they pay for.

• Like 5

Too much time on this forum listening to the whinges and whining will certainly make you begin to lose interest.

Especially when it's populated by folks such as the last two posters on a thread asking if they are 'losing interest' when they lost interest 10+ years ago.

I thought the two Posts (by steve roberts and myself) made clear we have NOT lost interest in speedway. What they indicated is that we have lost interest in the present concept of speedway and its shenanigans! As I see it, both of us retain an interest in what we conceive as being "the golden era" for speedway.

Too much time on this forum listening to the whinges and whining will certainly make you begin to lose interest.

Especially when it's populated by folks such as the last two posters on a thread asking if they are 'losing interest' when they lost interest 10+ years ago.

Sure the sport has issues, but personally, I can't wait for the next GP and equally can't wait to get to England for the play-offs.

However, please fix the doubling up issue for next year so teams can have a regular 1-7!!

I was slightly perplexed to read the first two replies were from posters who between them haven't attended a speedway meeting for the best part of 25 years!!! That's not an interest lost - that is just people who attend speedway as often as someone who claims they still shop in Woolworths!

I was slightly perplexed to read the first two replies were from posters who between them haven't attended a speedway meeting for the best part of 25 years!!! That's not an interest lost - that is just people who attend speedway as often as someone who claims they still shop in Woolworths!

You appear to have misread the comments by steve roberts and myself. We make it clear that we have NOT lost interest in speedway (perhaps that's why we are BSF members! :lol:). What we have lost interest in what masquerades as speedway promotion these days.

You appear to have misread the comments by steve roberts and myself. We make it clear that we have NOT lost interest in speedway (perhaps that's why we are BSF members! :lol:). What we have lost interest in what masquerades as speedway promotion these days.

Oh I don't doubt you are interested in this forum, but you haven't attended a speedway meeting since 2005 - 12 years ago, that's not the actions of someone who has an interest in a thing, or is losing in interest in a thing - that is the actions of someone who lost interest in a thing about 12 years ago.

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan
  • Like 1

Oh I don't doubt you are interested in this forum, but you haven't attended a speedway meeting since 2005 - 12 years ago, that's not the actions of someone who has an interest in a thing, or is losing in interest in a thing - that is the actions of someone who lost interest in a thing about 12 years ago.

You are very wrong! You are judging me on my comments in this thread (which in no way indicate an overall loss of interest in speedway from its historical dimensions). And in other media that deals with speedway you may well find and enjoy the response that my comments about the sport that I make there.

I haven't attended a speedway meeting since 2004 for reasons clearly stated but it doesn't mean I have no interest in the sport as I meet many people at my place of work who go, or used to go, and enjoy 'chewing the fat' with them...and I also enjoy participating on this forum.

Edited by steve roberts

You are very wrong! You are judging me on my comments in this thread (which in no way indicate an overall loss of interest in speedway from its historical dimensions). And in other media that deals with speedway you may well find and enjoy the response that my comments about the sport that I make there.

The question in the OP is about losing interested, how much more interest can you lose? I am not judging you for it - just pointing out you haven’t attended a meeting for 12 years – that’s not a in process loss of interest, that is a ship sailed.

Appreciate you make historical commentary on the sport though, I mean it isn’t like you can talk about much in its recent history is it.

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan

It's hard to keep interested when you're watching processional speedway and riders missing cause they're riding elsewhere . But I haven't yet reached the stage of not going , I enjoy the wee group I stand with every week at Glasgow and I still enjoy doing away trips .

• Like 3

It's hard to keep interested when you're watching processional speedway and riders missing cause they're riding elsewhere . But I haven't yet reached the stage of not going , I enjoy the wee group I stand with every week at Glasgow and I still enjoy doing away trips .

I think the social side of the evening is probably the main reason a lot of fans still attend.
  • Like 6