British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

How Many Of Us Are Losing Interest.?

9 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I stopped the conversation by saying you should know what you’re talking about before making accusations, you know nothing about if I or my family are in a vulnerable situation, you just assumed I was taking a slot of a vulnerable person or persons ,I am not going to use my personal or my family health situation on this forum to justify or make a point, that’s why I stopped the conversation there 

That's fair enough, if you or your family are in the vulnerable category please accept my apologies and I think you're doing exactly the right thing. I also think you should attend the Speedway as soon as you are able and follow all of the restrictions that are required .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I did attend a few meetings this season, but my prog board has now been put away for what could be a very difficult winter. When the sport does finally return, i suspect it will be an entirely different set up to the one we knew before. Finances and stadium availability will dictate the future of speedway in this country.

I think you are right. I have managed to see 1 speedway this meeting this year so keeping up my record of watching speedway for the last 50+ years.

I've not lost interest at all in the sport and have my fingers crossed for April 2021 and seeing speedway again. 

Pretty certain there will be some restrictions but sport seems to be singled out over fear of crowds.

In contrast, it was mayhem in my local Asda on Tuesday this week.

The shop was crowded, no social distancing, the store's home delivery pickers out in force, some people without masks and one lowering the mask to sneeze.

Would fancy my chances far more on the terraces at Arlington or any other speedway stadium.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

I think you are right. I have managed to see 1 speedway this meeting this year so keeping up my record of watching speedway for the last 50+ years.

I've not lost interest at all in the sport and have my fingers crossed for April 2021 and seeing speedway again. 

Pretty certain there will be some restrictions but sport seems to be singled out over fear of crowds.

In contrast, it was mayhem in my local Asda on Tuesday this week.

The shop was crowded, no social distancing, the store's home delivery pickers out in force, some people without masks and one lowering the mask to sneeze.

Would fancy my chances far more on the terraces at Arlington or any other speedway stadium.

That's the reason i go to non league football a couple of times a week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

That's the reason i go to non league football a couple of times a week.

My lad is playing in the FA Youth Cup tonight,  there will be a few hundred there. ..

We are at home because the other team is in the fifth tier of football so cannot have a crowd, hence we are holding it..

Several hundred people in a stadium with mostly standing areas can have a crowd..

Whilst a stadium with mostly seats (so social distancing controls are much easier) cannot.

Crackers 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mikebv said:

My lad is playing in the FA Youth Cup tonight,  there will be a few hundred there. ..

We are at home because the other team is in the fifth tier of football so cannot have a crowd, hence we are holding it..

Several hundred people in a stadium with mostly standing areas can have a crowd..

Whilst a stadium with mostly seats (so social distancing controls are much easier) cannot.

Crackers 

This logic with all sporting crowds is crackers,it’s obvious that some of these “ elite guys” are flaunting the rules or why would they test positive if they really are sticking to their “ bubble”.Its a joke  really, if it wasn’t so serious.

The ban on crowds outdoors in sports stadium looks even more crackers when tickets for the Royal Choral Society's Christmas show at the Royal Albert Hall have just gone on sale, with up to 3,000 able to attend!

Lost interest a few years ago. Started watching as a kid in 1976 and worked for a rider for around 9 years ending around 2011.

Never got the same buzz watching as I did working, not been to see a meeting since 2012 but follow the sport and sponsor riders to this date..

While it certainly means more with a team of one's own to follow and support, I still enjoy speedway, really the only time I thought to myself "self, I'm really done with this sport" was around 1991, I think it was.  In those days I kept in touch via Motor Cycle News and read of tyre warmers being used by some riders.  I thought "well that's it for me then" but they were soon banned by the authorities....

Edited by martinmauger
corrected almost loss of interest

11 hours ago, M.D said:

Lost interest a few years ago. Started watching as a kid in 1976 and worked for a rider for around 9 years ending around 2011.

Never got the same buzz watching as I did working, not been to see a meeting since 2012 but follow the sport and sponsor riders to this date..

You obviously have an interest in Speedway, you should go, maybe just once a year, you never know you may re-discover your mojo, I re-discovered mine last year

• Like 2