Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
rocketman77

No Aussies In British Speedway 2018

Can someone answer me this please, Why do Australian riders who are starting there careers first come to the UK and not Poland,Sweden,or Denmark?

Dont know much about visas and stuff,but I would say the majority are not at the required standard for these Countries when they first come overs do would not get aTeam place based on Aussie form. Edited by Fromafar

First and foremost I'd say language and then cultural similarities.

Perhaps the Poles, Swedes and Danes didn't want the Aussies in their raw state, and were happy for them to use British Speedway to bring them up to speed.

Perhaps the Poles, Swedes and Danes didn't want the Aussies in their raw state, and were happy for them to use British Speedway to bring them up to speed.

I'm not sure about that. There are plenty of raw young riders in the Polish lower divisions.

I'm not sure about that. There are plenty of raw young riders in the Polish lower divisions.

True - but not the ready made models that we can, and do, provide.

True - but not the ready made models that we can, and do, provide.

So you agree that young raw Australian riders could go and ride in the lower Polish leagues, if they didn't prefer Britain due to our language and cultural similarities?

Aussie riders have done a lot for British speedway over the years and are always welcome in my book.Just don't call us whinging poms! (Even though there are plenty on this forum)

Edited by poppetman
  • Like 1

Not true that Aussies aren't wanted at a raw stage in Denmark.I have mentioned before that Cameron Heeps,Brady Kurtz and now Keynan Rew have all done at least a season in Denmark before coming to the UK.Few is planning on doing another season in Denmark next season

Not true that Aussies aren't wanted at a raw stage in Denmark.I have mentioned before that Cameron Heeps,Brady Kurtz and now Keynan Rew have all done at least a season in Denmark before coming to the UK.Few is planning on doing another season in Denmark next season

How many young brits are riding in Poland, Denmark and Sweden ?

AND they are our ancestral cousins, fought alongside Great Britain in wars, so on and so on. Sad that some of here are so petty to suggest that they are bad for British speedway. Don't think that is the majority view. Just my opinion.

Surely all countries except Germany and Japan fought alongside Great Britain in world wars

Not allowing Aussies to ride in our leagues is one of the daftest things I've read on here . Ok recently one or two have moaned and whinged and threw the toys out the pram , but we have one or two capable of that as well .

The Aussies have brought so much to our sport since it's conception really , and we should embrace them rather than chase them away . There's not a club in the country who's history hasn't been enriched by Australian and New Zealand speedway riders .

• Like 6

Aussie riders have done a lot for British speedway over the years and are always welcome in my book.Just don't call us whinging poms! (Even though there are plenty on this forum)

Define, "a lot". You're the 5th person to claim this now. Yet nobody has told what "a lot" is.

AND they are our ancestral cousins, fought alongside Great Britain in wars, so on and so on. Sad that some of here are so petty to suggest that they are bad for British speedway. Don't think that is the majority view. Just my opinion.

Ive been thinking. We should ban Germans. After all, we shouldn't forget World wars that happened 70ish years ago!

Define, "a lot". You're the 5th person to claim this now. Yet nobody has told what "a lot" is.

Ive been thinking. We should ban Germans. After all, we shouldn't forget World wars that happened 70ish years ago!

HOW about we don't ban anyone.

• Like 5

So you agree that young raw Australian riders could go and ride in the lower Polish leagues, if they didn't prefer Britain due to our language and cultural similarities?

Could yes - but they may not be able to do so. Would they get Work Permits/Visas like they do here?

Also - see speedibee's Post below - which going to be another of my points.

Yes plenty of raw Polish riders in the Polish lower divisions

See above...........

The likes of Leigh Adams, Phil Crump, Jim Airey were great assets to Speedway in this Country as is Josh Grajczonek from today's Riders. Sadly some of the current crop aren't fit to lace their boots. (I have deliberately selected a Rider from different eras to illustrate my point).

Most of the Aussies are OK in my book - but we would certainly be better off without some of them.

To rocketman77 seeing as I can't quote...not really sure of the relevance,but I think any young Brit could ride in Denmark if they wanted to.If young Aussies can,why do you think young Brits can't? In fact one youngster did a few years back.SamWoods I think his name was, did a season