British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole V Swindon Semi Final 1st Leg 11/9/17

To use one previous meeting as a guide is ridiculous. How many times do we see rider's scores vary considerably from visit to visit. Even at home the scores of riders like BWD can show considerable variation partly because riders who are developing their skills tend to be inconsistent.

The only reliable guide is to look at scores at a particular track over a period of time, take into account the numerous factors that can influence performance, position in the team, engine problems, the opposition etc and then make an educated guess. Like all statistical analysis you need an acceptable amount of data on which to base an assessment, even then the analysis is no more than a guide.

I don't know why people keep going on about what someone scored once and that they might have got. North scored 18 at Ipswich once, don't think he hardly ever hit a double figure score again. Morris scored paid 21 at ipswich once, be lucky if he has score 21 points added together in his next 5 meetings there. Same with Miskoviak at wolves and lakeside scoring about 17 and 19, be lucky if he ever scored half of that ever again.

Exactly right. Bunch of nobodies arguing for arguments sake. Nothing to come out of it except the perceived invisible crown of apparent forum superiority that is so deeply sought after by the same 4 or 5 posters.

The fact Poole lost was down to 10 last places. Not down to one rider. Anyway, at least it's set it up for the return leg & kept it a lot more interesting then it would have been.

Edited by hyabb17

100% rubbish.ive watched it back at least 6 times and you can clearly see the red lights came on after Doyle fell.Really was a shocking decision .

I suggest you pay a visit to specsavers and watch it for the 7th time.

When Jason is sliding across the track the red light is already on. Now if that was for Jason the ref would have waited to see if he cleared the track. Also it was obvious Hans got a flyer.

• Like 2

To use one previous meeting as a guide is ridiculous. How many times do we see rider's scores vary considerably from visit to visit. Even at home the scores of riders like BWD can show considerable variation partly because riders who are developing their skills tend to be inconsistent.

The only reliable guide is to look at scores at a particular track over a period of time, take into account the numerous factors that can influence performance, position in the team, engine problems, the opposition etc and then make an educated guess. Like all statistical analysis you need an acceptable amount of data on which to base an assessment, even then the analysis is no more than a guide.

Thats exactly what we have done.

Poole fans on here moaning over Newmans 8 points from reserve.

We can look subjectively and say that BWD scored 6 from a harder racing position so you would expect him to at least match Newman. Surely thats what building an opinion is for.

Its also fair to say that BWD could have scored 4 or 11, we will never know.

But based on previous meetings we can make a perfectly reasonable judgement

Ok. Let's have a look at Newman's races.

In his first two races he was gifted his points so BWD would have got the same anyway.

Then he beat Shanes. BWD is capable of that. Not saying he would have, but he is capable of it. BWD would also be capable of doing it in heat 2. Not saying he would, but...

Then he had a good win, in a race in which the Poole pair were so far behind that BWD would probably have beaten them too if he was fit.

Then he got a last, behind Shanes, who BWD is capable of beating. Not saying he would have, but...

Not so much difference really.

I suggest you pay a visit to specsavers and watch it for the 7th time.

When Jason is sliding across the track the red light is already on. Now if that was for Jason the ref would have waited to see if he cleared the track. Also it was obvious Hans got a flyer.

What!! Normally your posts are spot on,but but on this post you are wide of the mark.The moment jason hit the deck the red lights went on.Maybe Hans got a flyer but it wasnt stopped for that.

What!! Normally your posts are spot on,but but on this post you are wide of the mark.The moment jason hit the deck the red lights went on.Maybe Hans got a flyer but it wasnt stopped for that.

So why was the light on before giving Jason the time to clear the track, anyway even the ref stated later that it was because Hans had one of his usual flyers.

Still he was in the rerun and now Poole have to ride at Swindon.

So having been to the meeting last night and now watched it back, I can say that at least the ref Mick Bates was consistent with his first bend decisions - wrong but consistent!! Having started off with his 'All 4 back' decision he couldn't really do anything else with the later incidents could he??!! Despite the advantage of TV replays!!

Re Lahti for those that watched the TV his poor form was due to sending the new engine away to be serviced and it came back 'flat'!! As Middlo commented 'if it ain't broke why fix it'?

Well done to Swindon and to Kyle for the win, despite all the pre-meeting controversy which almost saw an official protest being lodged by Poole before some sense prevailed.

Although I wonder what would have happened if Starke had picked up a niggling injury in Peterborough's Sunday meeting? I suggest MF would have been straight on the phone to Kyle Newman - only to be told that Kyle had already accepted the Swindon booking considerably earlier!!! Ce la vie. ;-)

So many ifs, buts and maybes the result could easily have gone either way - but some great racing never the less.

Finally a word about the track. The track staff were denied access to the track due to a greyhound auction that did not finish til 1pm-ish. After all the rain - and with the continued threat of an occasional shower throughout the day - they had a difficult job to even get the track into a rideable condition. It caught out the home riders more than the Swindon boys early on but still gave some great racing. Now its onto Blunsdon when Ronnie Russell will undoubtedly 'work his magic'!! lol

• Like 1

So many ifs, buts and maybes the result could easily have gone either way - but some great racing never the less.

Finally a word about the track. The track staff were denied access to the track due to a greyhound auction that did not finish til 1pm-ish. After all the rain - and with the continued threat of an occasional shower throughout the day - they had a difficult job to even get the track into a rideable condition. It caught out the home riders more than the Swindon boys early on but still gave some great racing. Now its onto Blunsdon when Ronnie Russell will undoubtedly 'work his magic'!! lol

LOL

Finally a word about the track. The track staff were denied access to the track due to a greyhound auction that did not finish til 1pm-ish. After all the rain - and with the continued threat of an occasional shower throughout the day - they had a difficult job to even get the track into a rideable condition. It caught out the home riders more than the Swindon boys early on but still gave some great racing.

So what's the excuse for the track every other week?

• Like 1

As a neutral I wasn't bothered about last night's result and enjoyed some very competitive racing.

When Ellis broke the tapes he was put back 15 metres and I noticed that he lined up with the gate 3 position. I always thought that a rider put on 15 metres had to take up the outside gate position (with the other 3 riders re-shuffled/moved across to gates 1 to 3) to give the start marshal the best chance of not being run over. Is my understanding incorrect? has the rule changed? Please let me know!

• Like 1

So what's the excuse for the track every other week?

You cannot work with sand you need proper shale.

Poole fans on here moaning over Newmans 8 points from reserve.

I love the irony of that! Poole fans complaining, don't like it when shoe on other foot!

• Like 3

Rule change, if you break the tapes on gate 3 you can remain there now

As a neutral I wasn't bothered about last night's result and enjoyed some very competitive racing.

When Ellis broke the tapes he was put back 15 metres and I noticed that he lined up with the gate 3 position. I always thought that a rider put on 15 metres had to take up the outside gate position (with the other 3 riders re-shuffled/moved across to gates 1 to 3) to give the start marshal the best chance of not being run over. Is my understanding incorrect? has the rule changed? Please let me know!